Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my boat will attempt to tip over

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kevingg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevingg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my boat will attempt to tip over
    Posted: May-04-2004 at 2:04pm
Hello everyone,

I own a 1974 Ski Natique I have a big problem, my boat will attempt to tip over on it’s right side when speeds exceed 30 MPH this happens when the boat is straight on course. In the past it would seldom do this but it’s starting to get scary and happen more often. It will do this regardless of how many people are in the boat. One or 5 people. Now I’m no sissy and this is no slight tip I can report the boat almost flips, I bet it will unless I back off on the throttle. If you have any answers let me know.

Thanks,

Kevin Gardner
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2004 at 12:04pm
Kevin-First off what kind of engine and HP do you have???Have been involved with Correct Crafts for 35+ years and never heard this story.Also what's your engine rotation and prop dimensions?
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2004 at 11:11am
How much do you weigh? Sorry, somebody had to ask. :)
kevingg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevingg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2004 at 6:54pm
This is a stock boat, factory prop, 255 HP
kevingg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevingg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2004 at 7:01pm
Lakeview,

What I’ve found out so-far is something to do with the hull. It’s called a hook. The bottom of the right side has a concave look to it when I place a straight edge on it. This comes from the hull resting on the trailer. Supposed to be fairly common in older hulls. Best explanation I’ve had so-far. What do you think?

Hay, BigAir,

Bite-me.
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2004 at 11:30pm
Kevin,

Not sure but I believe there was a slight compound curve on the hull as designed. The wife's '78 has one.

In order for the hull to be reshaped by a trailer as you describe, the main stringers would have to move. If this occurs, the engine/trans/shaft/prop/rudder would go out of alignment. This would create all sorts of vibration under load.

I find it hard to accept that sitting on a trailer has caused a structural deformation. The '78 has 632 hours on the clock and the other 227,128 hours have been on a lift, on storage bunks or on a CC trailer (the lift and storage place are the same configuration the trailer). Man, that's a lot of hours, but no structural issues.

Seems like the problem has to be elsewhere, especially if it is getting progressively worse. Assume you have checked the alignment on all the moving parts?

Oh yeah, I'm sure that BigAir was only joking, just as you were with that reply. Bad thing about the written word, very hard to know the intent of words without seeing facial expressions.
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2004 at 10:33pm
could the flotation foam ,starboard side be saturated with water ?
dose it set level in the water at rest ?
or dose it lean to starboard at rest?
just a thought.
kenny g
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2004 at 12:05pm
I have a good friend who used to run Tonka Ski in minnesota. That was back in the 70's and all they ran were Correct Craft boats. He said that if one of the fins in the front was misaligned at all the boats would have a tendency to "thrust" to one side. He was basically describing the same thing you are and said it scared the s#%t out of him on more than one occasion.
roberts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2004 at 10:49pm
i own a 75 CC an have had the same thing happen to me.
at full throttle all of a sudden the boat whips hard right. at 45mph it will scare the sht out of you.
i have worn a helmet an life jacket an tried to make the boat do it on purpose an found that when its going hard right i can try to counter steer an it will have no effect.
the gentleman that was saying the front fin could be out of aline, that will give me something to think about.
i have found that when this happens if you pull the throttle off completly the boat will lean hard but if you stay in the throttle the boat hooks an turns leaning into the turn an will slow on its own then you can pull throttle once this has happened.
im glad to see some people finaly talking about this. i have traced the intire steering system looking for a flaw. but now i am going to focus on the front fin.
never again volunteer yourself
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2004 at 5:14pm
With the boat on the trailer grip the rudder and try to move it if you can move iot easily one way or the other your steering pivot may be shot or your steering cable may be loose on the tiller If either of these are the case your rudder is shifting steering the boat without you moving the wheel. This may be your problem
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2004 at 1:53pm
I had a problem almost identical to Kevin's several years ago and spoke to Art at SECC. He said it sounded like a bent rudder issue and upon placing a straight edge across the face of the rudder I found it to be bent in both directions, horizontally and longitudinally. I replaced it with another older used rudder and the problem disappeared.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic