Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stock engine over GT40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Trevort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stock engine over GT40
    Posted: April-30-2006 at 1:41pm
I'm looking at a 1999 196. It has the stock 5.8 what is the value difference between this boat and one with the GT40? Also if the price is right what would it cost to get similar power out of the stock engine? Hope somebody has some thoughts
I love being on the water
waterboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2006 at 9:48pm
NOT SURE WHAT CORRECT CRAFT CHARGES FOR THE GT40 UPGRADE. I KNOW THE POWER DIFFERENCE IS ABOUT 45HP. CALL A LOCAL DEALER AND ASK WHAT THEY THINK IT'S WORTH. IV'E BEEN TOLD IT'S A NICE UPGRADE, THAT IS WHY I'M DOING IT TO MY 92.

THE MAIN DIFFERENCE IS IN THE HEAD DESIGN. I JUST PURCHASED A SET OF GT40P HEADS FROM TRISTATE CYLINDER HEAD IN INDIANA A FEW WEEKS AGO(TRISTATECYLINDERHEAD.COM). $500 BRAND NEW, COMPLETE WITH VALVES. IF YOU GET THE P VERSION YOU WILL HAVE TO GET THE BOLT HOLES DRILLED OUT TO 1/2 INCH $25.

YOU CAN BUY THE ORIGINAL GT40 HEADS(THE GT40P IS THE NEWER VERSION) FROM MIDWEST CORRECT CRAFT, BUT THEY WILL COST YOU $1300 FOR BOTH!

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THE JOB FOR UNDER $650 WITH NEW GASKETS AND SPARK PLUGS(THE SPARK PLUG IS DIFFERENT FOR THE HIGH OUTPUT VERSION).

I'LL BE WORKING ON MINE IN A FEW WEEKS ONCE I BUY A PERFORMER INTAKE MANIFOLD.

I HOPE THIS HELPS. THERE ARE A LOT OF GUYS WHO HAVE DONE THIS AND HAVE BEEN PLEASED WITH THE MODIFACATION.
waterboy
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 10:57am
The biggest difference between the base 351w and the GT40 is the Multiport EFI. You can get similar power out of a carb'd motor, but it will never start as nice or run as smooth as EFI.

If youre OK with that, the 351w is still a great motor!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 1:17pm
not all gt-40 engines are FI, the early ones I believe have carb's
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 3:09pm
There were several engines available from PCM that offered the GT40 heads. These include the Pro Boss (285/300 hp carb) and Pro Ski (300/310 hp TBI).

The engine that PCM called the "GT40" came out in '95 or '96 and had the Multiport EFI.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 4:37pm
There is a Pro Ski TBI engine that does NOT have the GT40 heads and is rated a bit lower in HP department...I have one.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 10:45am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

There is a Pro Ski TBI engine that does NOT have the GT40 heads and is rated a bit lower in HP department...I have one.

I saw you mention that a while back, and it surprised me. Notice I did say "offered" though.

The Pro Ski TBI without the GT40 heads should put out about 260 hp, right?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 11:35am
I think that is about right...I never really definatively figured it out. I think it is somewhere between 260 and 285. What is weird is that the engine has the 950 cfm 4V TB unit. That is a lot of CFM. My local machine shop has a brand new set of GT40p heads for $500.00 ready to go. I may have to purchase them and install sometime in the future.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 12:38pm
Hey David, GT40 heads are a nice upgrade. I bet it will be hard to tear into a great running low hour motor.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 12:48pm
You got that right!
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 12:51pm
Do the GT40 heads just flow that much better or is there also a boost in compression and/or combustion chamber design?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 1:04pm
The GT-40 engine has different heads and cam over the base engine. There is a slight premium for the motor over the same year base or pro-boss engine maybe 500-1000 more for a boat with the GT-40 engine option.

The heads have slightly larger valves .07 in and .100 ex more on the dia., with a smaller combustion chamber (5cc less) and the runners where redesign to flow bitter.

Are the GT-40 heads the best to use if your up grading over stock heads? NO THEY ARE NOT.

Are they better than the stock heads? YES usually about a 25hp or so increase.

I'm having a set of heads done that will use larger valves and smaller chambers and a mild port and polish on the exhaust side and a little clean up of the bowls on the intake side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic