NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1963 Correct Craft American Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 12:02pm
That's way cool! anyhow, thanks for your comments. All in all the boat is in pretty good shape. The motor wasn't really a surprise emphasis from the seller on how they put it away 25 years ago was raising flags. None the which really concerned me. I think he overestimated the boats problems 25 years ago and basically walked away.

It has a lot of gel coat crazing, like anything 52 years old. I'm 49 my gelcoat looks like ***************

Anyhow, I haven't found anything to suggest significant structural problems or delamination associated with it. However I got a lot of sanding and grinding to do. Going to concentrate on motor and drive over the winter. And hopefully that goes well as I had a gm v-6 I had converted to marine for a friend, he ran tight on money and sold the boat he had sans motor. It would have been perfect for a go to, however sold it several months ago. Which is probably good keeps me on track to keep things as original as possible.

On the happy side of a fiberglass project, I can get any type of fabric I need and bulk resins as I grew up in a town with a big fiberglass plant that produces fabric of all types, know a guy who produces custom fiberglass tanks etc. So I may have some economy in the resto I can get those items pretty cheap. Just staying open to where I need to go until I dig under the layers so to speak for finishes (2 part epoxy - awl or gel coat)both directions have advantages / disadvantages.
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 11:26am
Hi all who may be viewing. An update on my 63' American Skier not as far along as I would have liked. Like many this year we had a horrible winter and I had hoped to at least had the motor well on the way, but the garage I was going to keep my boat in and use as a workshop burnt to the ground 2 days before moving the boat and we absolutely didn't have any mild days to get it pulled.

Anyhow, over the past several days ive been able to tear into it. I was able to get the seats out decking up and really get a good eye on what needs addressed. The boat had been worked on to a great deal. they had replaced stringers. the good part of that is they did a really good job fabricating the stringers and I wasn't able to find any rot. the bad part is they did a horrible job of glassing in and wrapping the motor stringers etc. lots of glass not wetted out properly and separated from the stringers.

I was able to give it a good cleaning out and didn't find anything alarming with the original glass work, no blisters or delaminanting but I have a substantial amount of grinding and re-work to do.

I had reduced the engine to a short block in the boat and am planning on getting it out and tearing it down. As known before the head was cracked original exhaust manifold and riser were shot. The cylinders look clean topside and unmarred. So I am hoping when I get it broken down I can get away with honing the cylinders, re-ring, new bearing and gaskets.

The distributor points plate was shot. No one at Mallory had much info regarding the model so im going to install a conversion kit to electronic pointless. Found a solution to the exhaust situation, but am holding until I get inside the motor and get a good look at the drive - it appears to be a, I guess Dearborn. The innards of all this is going to dictate how far I'm going to go to attempt to keep the original motor/drive, still teetering on a re-power.

Got the majority of the trim etc. off and now have a confirmation on the original color of the boat. It was conveyed to me it was "blue" by the former owner before they
had red imron sprayed on the decks. It is in fact a turquoise American Skier and I hope to return it to original color. I will post some pics later on and will probably move to another part of the forum since im not really posting questions.

I am trying to get moving so I don't have to grind fiberglass in 90 degree weather under the bow since I have no ambition to part the cap off.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 11:46am
Those turquoise boats are awesome. Take great care with the steering wheel, it appears to be original under that leather wrap. Those things are worth about a million dollars, especially with the center cap.   Good friend Marty on the site researched and the center caps are actually leftovers from the Packard Clipper...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic