NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 81’s ready to roll

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 81’s ready to roll
    Posted: April-30-2006 at 5:27pm
Well here's a couple of quick snapshots between rain drops today of my winter project.

New goodies include, all new interior, carpet, new fuel lines, electronic ignition conversion, wet sand and buff the entire boat, striped and repainted stripes, wet sanded and buffed stripes today in the rain, depth sounder, low oil presuure/ high water temp alarm and basic tune up, OJ dripless shaft seal

Still on the list is to install new bunk carpet and we plan to paint the trailer to match the blue of the new stripes. Oh yeah, and I gotta replace those galvanized wheels some day. Thanks to the many folks who provided tons of info on this site so I could get this done.

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2006 at 5:53pm
WOW! Alan...I knew you were going to make it nice...but thats really nice. Outstanding job my man!

You are the magic man bro!

Hey, I am real close with the 72...going to Fla for a week and should have the seats done when I get back...paint the graphics and done! Well...like you I have some trailer work too!

Can't wait to see the 81 in person! Did I say WOW...WOW!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2006 at 6:17pm
Beautiful job...you should be proud!

RB
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2006 at 7:49pm
Love that BOAT!
Scott
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2006 at 10:09pm
Alan (aka; magicman); WOW...WOW!! Boy you must be PROUD! What a job! Really like the look of the white and woodgrain dash. Can you get a pic of the dash on also?

Gary: Did I read correctly that you are coming down to FLA? I think we might have talked about this before but...me and mrs jbear would love to meet ya if you are gonna be close (do I remember Disney?) and have a little time. If so and you want my numbers send me a e-mail, it is in my profile.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2006 at 10:27pm
Very nice Alan. Looking forward to a ride in Green Lake. BKH
Livin' the Dream

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2006 at 10:42pm
Alan,
Awsome job! The thing that makes it even more amazing is knowing the "wonderful" northern IL winter conditions that you did most of the work in!!!!!!!!!!

jbear , you got that sandpaper out yet?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SMay81SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMay81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2006 at 11:11pm
Magicman-Alan,
Sweet looking! Great job. Nice to see an 81 looking better than new!
Scott
Our 94 SN
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 1:45am
John...I did mention it a while back...we are going to be in Key West. Leaving Thurs and flying back tues.How far are you from the Keys?
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 7:38am
Alan,
Way cool !!! That rig did come out sweet !!! Can't wait to see it on Memorial Day... Really nice job "Magic" !!!

Moj'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 7:53am
Thanks everyone, I'm pretty happy with the results although I learned a lot and would do a few things different next time. I'll be redoing the gel coat repairs over again next winter because i did a crappy job matching the color, DavidF must be a magician because that ain't as easy to do as it sounds. I'll just use it as is this summer, time to start having some fun.

62, Lousy weather right down to the end. I had the boat at the body shop for 2 weeks waiting for it to be wet sanded and buffed. I finally picked it up Sat afternoon and it had not even been touched. I stole a buffer, paper, compound and took the boat home and got it done in a couple hours Sunday in the rain. I wonder how long it will take before the body guy notices that it's gone. One thing for sure is he won't get his buffer back until I get the touchup paint he promised. Lesson learned, DO IT YOURSELF.

The motor on this one is solid and I don't want to touch it. So I'm now in the market for a basket case Tique or something smaller that I can take my time on and turn into a little hot rod.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 11:11am
Alan: Am I reading you right: you did it all with a buffer, not by hand? I have been delaying because I was afraid to get into a big job. But it sounds as tho with the right stuff it can be done in a day? Hard to believe, because it looks so good!

Gary: I remember now. Senior short term memory is bad! We live in the center of the stste. 8 hours from the Keys. Wish we could see ya but it's way to far. Maybe next time. You are gonna love it there. Have a great time!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 11:14am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

...DavidF must be a magician because that ain't as easy to do as it sounds....

No, no magician...I can't match colors worth beans. I go the easy and expensive route by purchasing pre-matched gel coat through my local CC dealer. The color match adheres to my 5' rule: From 5', you cannot tell the difference or see the blend line. However, from 1', you can see, but just barely.

If anyone is going to the Reunion in San Antonio, the boat and I will be there even though the price went from $7/head to $20/head this year
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 11:14am
Oh yeah, nice job 81nautique, your boat looks great!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 12:26pm
Jbear,

The old stripes were removed by hand wet sanding and took me a couple of days and quite a few blisters. I also wet sanded all the gel coat to get some shine back. Then buffed the entire boat, several more hours. We used base coat with a clear on top so the clear had to be wet sanded with 1200 and buffed again but the shine and finish is like glass.

A lot of work but this one is my keeper so I thought it was worth it.
oldcentury76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcentury76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 1:39pm
81nautique,

you state "We used base coat with a clear on top so the clear had to be wet sanded with 1200 and buffed again but the shine and finish is like glass. " Are you talking about the painted surfaces? If so can you now wax the boat with out taping the lettering? I am going to do the same thing you did, to my boat next winter. I was hoping that after I redo it I won't have to worry about waxing my boat and having the blue paint stain the gelcoat. I was planning to put a clear coat over just the lettering so this would fix my problem.
1976 Ski Nautique

Too many hobbies, not enough time!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 5:08pm
oldcentury76,

After we painted the stripes with color we clear coated them so all blue paint is cleared. I wet sanded and buffed the stripes but that was actually buffing the clear to a nice finish and that also softened the edges of the stripes. After I finished that I waxed the entire boat(gelcoat and cleared stripes) and buffed that off with one of those orbital polishers just like you would a car finish. We put a fairly heavy clear coat on so if I get any scuffs from dock bumpers as long as they don't go through to the color I can just wet sand and buff them out again.

Time will tell if this was the right approach but I'm very pleased with the finish.
oldcentury76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcentury76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 5:43pm
I read your diary, did you replace the rub rail when you painted? I have a stainless rub rail and mine is pretty scuffed. If you replaced it where did you find one?

1976 Ski Nautique

Too many hobbies, not enough time!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 6:22pm
Oldcentury,

The rub rail is original and once again I put in a lot of time with a buffer. I went to Home Depot and bought a small buffing wheel ( about 5" round) and put it in my hand drill. I used a fairly course compound and buffed the snot out of it. The finished off with neverdul and a coat of wax before putting it back on. With the course compound you can actually buff out small scratches. It came back very nicely with a bit of elbow grease.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 6:30pm
81 - I have a feeling that's going to be the talk of Green Lake....can't wait to see it in person. Looks absolutely GREAT!!!
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 11:42pm
Simply AWESOME.Last time I saw that poor boat I was thinking PARTS !! Now it looks to be the star of the fleet.Mine Hopefully should be complete before the Green Lake event.Getting ready to shred the floors with a little help this weekend.Been measuring and taking pictures for the last 2 just so it goes back together right.
raygunclan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raygunclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2006 at 5:05pm
was that the original upholstery bones or is that all new? we are in need of upholstery and i want to do it myself, but i'm not sure if it is a "job for superman" or not!
thanks!
who needs a mortgage when you have a boat!?!?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2006 at 9:09pm
raygunclan.

All new wood. It didn't look that bad until I started taking the skins off, pretty much just fell apart after that.

If you have basic carpentry skills and tools you can do the job in a couple off weekends.

I used bisquits for all joints, they help you line everything up during assembly. Then used a waterproof polyurethane wood glue like Gorilla Glue. I then used a countersink drill bit and stainless steel screws. Then I coated everything with resin and put a strip of fiberglass on all structural corners. My method is total overkill but I don't think I'll have to worry about this again for a long time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic