NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

does the rotation matter?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: does the rotation matter?
    Posted: May-04-2006 at 3:00pm
I am having my engine rebuilt by the dealer at the moment and all is fine(apart from it is taking ages) but they phoned me a while ago to say that they have another 454 engine that has already been rebuilt, they said they could put it in instead, i asked if there was any difference and they said no.
I went to see the boat a week ago and the engine was not in but hanging on an engine stand but when we got talking they told me that in fact it is not an identical engine but slightly larger in power (still a 454) and is standard rotation compared to the reverse rotation the old engine was.
when i questioned it they got very defensive and starting to try and sell the extra power to me, which does not really matter to me anyway as i only board so don't need it.

is there any differences i will notice and should be aware of apart from the location of starter motor and is there any negatives.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2006 at 3:21pm
you're going the expensive way by taking it to the dealer. It really doesn't matter on the rotation if it's a complete engine and you don't have to use any parts from the old engine, then you only have to get the tranny re-worked to reverse the pump and get a new prop. But if you have to use your old parts then you will need a dist, starter, circulation (if it isn't a bi-directional version) pump in addition to the prop and tranny work. So what are they going to charge you? 7-8K for the job
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2006 at 5:05pm
2-3K sterling,

i decided to go to the dealer to get it done properly and so i could have it back quickly but it is taking them ages.

It is a complete unit going in but i am not sure about the prop as they have not mentioned anything about that.
if i need a new one what type is the best to go for, i only board behind the boat.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 10:52am
Call ACME and discuss your prop needs with them (888)661-acme. CC used RH rotating engines to offset the weight of the driver.

I had a '77 Martinique with a LH engine (not original rotation) and the only thing I noticed was that the boat would roll significantly when making sharp turns to starboard. I think having a RH prop would have mitigated this tendency somewhat. Other than that, it was never an issue when pulling skiers, etc.

Like 79 said, you will only have to re-index the pump in the tranny to make it work with the LH motor. I am not sure about the starter motor location (facing towards front or rear), but either way can be made to be the same.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 12:23pm
the starter is only going to mount one way so it's not a matter of flipping it one way or the other, you have to replace it with the proper rotating starter.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 12:41pm
I only mentioned it because some GM marine engines have the starter mounted through the bell housing (i.e. from the rear) instead of the conventional automotive mounting (from the front).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 1:11pm
regardless you have to have the style that was on it or that is needed for it. It cannot be flipped period because the nose housing of the cranking motor prevents this from happening. The only way that you could mount it differently would be to go from the stock location motor's nose facing rearward to the opposite side with it facing forward and going through the bellhousing but that still will not reverse the rotation.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

I only mentioned it because some GM marine engines have the starter mounted through the bell housing (i.e. from the rear) instead of the conventional automotive mounting (from the front).

The starter on my new RH PCM 5.7 is mounted on the bell housing on the rear. The starter on the 74 OMC 225 is mounted the conventional way. They can use a LH starter for my RH engine since its mounted from the rear. This should mean less $$$ rebuild someday?? Do they mount new PCM LH engine starters the same way as the RH?? If so, they will need a RH starter for a LH engine.

Jeff....
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2006 at 11:31am
The starter on the old reveres rotation engine was mounted though the back of the bell housing and not it is mounded on the front.
I think the mounting though the bell housing is much better as it is further away from the water that gets in the bilge
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic