NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Antique Boat Engines

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antique Boat Engines
    Posted: December-11-2014 at 6:46pm
The American LaFrance engine in the Barracuda post seems to have some interest, so I thought I would start a thread about old engines rather than continuing the hijack.

A friend of mine is rebuilding this thing. It's about a 1916 marine engine that was converted from an airplane engine. I forget the specs, but I believe it is about 500 ci and has a cruising speed of 1500 rpms. To me it's more of a contraption than a nice engine, but someone has a boat they want to put it in and are going to spend some $ having it restored.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 6:49pm
Almost looks like a Liberty
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 7:34pm
that would be pretty cool all cleaned up and running and no engine cover
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 7:58pm
It looks like a Hispano-Suiza 90HP to me. Quite a few of them were marinized due to the surplus.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 8:22pm
I just heard that it is a Curtiss Ox-5 engine. It is 500 ci and puts out 90 hp at 1450 rpm. It is painted army green.

Peter, I imagine it makes modern solid lifters sound really quiet.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 8:30pm
i bet..
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 8:35pm
Bruce,
Yup, the open valve train should have given me the clue that it's a Curtiss Ox-5 engine. Thanks for the engine confirmation. What's your friend putting it in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 9:06pm
I'll have to find out. I believe it was an old Chris Craft that originally had this kind of engine in it, but was repowered a long time ago. The engine was a barn find and the guy wants to go back to original. Jim told me barn find engines usually need a lot of work. That's why they got put in the barn.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I just heard that it is a Curtiss Ox-5 engine. It is 500 ci and puts out 90 hp at 1450 rpm. It is painted army green.

Peter, I imagine it makes modern solid lifters sound really quiet.

Crazy enough I have a propeller at home for one of those there is a club for them,I believe at one time you either had to work on them or fly one to be in it. I don't think that is the case anymore
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 10:05pm
What's it about a 60 x 20 2 blade?
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 10:29pm
Hmmm....is OX-5 a "marine" or "aircraft" engine, as it powered the first floatplane, the 1911 Curtiss A-1 Triad on Keuka Lake NY, the Birthplace of Naval Aviation. The Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport has painstakingly recreated a number of early Curtiss floatplane models with ORIGINAL engines, here's a video of the A-1. Sadly, the pilot in the video later died as a result of injuries in the crash of another one. My bro has been the pilot for all subsequent flights, some of which I've posted here in the past. Oh, and my nephews middle name is Curtiss, similarity intended.....

BTW, awesome museum, planes, bikes, cars..you gearheads would love it.

Someone will have to fix my youtube link, as usual.
Also see photo of 1912 Curtiss Model E, OX-5, that one is my bro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpbE1OyI8Tk

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 11:38pm
Not quite as vintage and you guys know I am the last person to talk about engines, but that doesn't stop me from having a favorite. In the late 70s this 1950 F1 was my daily driver.

It had a flathead straight six which blew up on me. I went to the junkyard and found a 50 sedan with a flathead V8. I bought it and put it in my truck and since then, the flathead 8 has always been my favorite engine. I have always dreamed of a homemade boat project and if it ever happens, it will probably have a relatively current small block in it, but my engine of choice would be a 40s-50s vintage flathead 8, something like this one. Kind of scarce but not impossible to find. Once in a blue moon, you can find a marinized one.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 12:05am
Larry,
Way cool! Yes, there was an era when the marinized flat heads were quite popular. Lots of the "flaty boats" ran them. They are still around so when are you going to start on your boat project? We are all here to help out. Starting with a Glen-L plan is my suggestion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 11:14am
I kind of doubt it will ever happen, Pete, as much as I'd like it to, usual reasons, money, time, space, priorities. And if I ever did invest in another boat, its hard to justify a hot rod vs a decent skier my kids could use or whatever. I've stared at the Glen-L pages off and on over the past 15 years, I would guess. What they call a crackerbox comes closest to what I would do. I don't really consider their version a crackerbox tho, more a small scale gentleman's racer. Some guys have done great things with that plan

but its really not what I want. Too deep, two swervy. Just don't like the lines. Was hard to tell in pictures, but I finally saw one in real life.

That poor boat has been around the internet for years, from one owner to the next, never finished, never had an engine in it. A guy in MA bought it a few years ago (when I looked at it) Not sure what came of it or if he finally finished it.

I like a lower slung hull. I don't have the resources for or the need for a real racing version but I like the lines of them.

In most cases, it would probably be cheaper to buy than build. This one was nice, was for sale up in the northwest.

If I were going to build, it would be a very basic hull, like this.

How hard could that be.

The crackerbox racing association has a table of offsets that I have on all the dimensions. They say that's not the way for an amateur builder to go, but again, how hard could it be. Glen-L has guidance docs on general building procedures, those with the offsets might be a winning combination. (tho I would likely go with thru-hulls, don't want to be too obnoxious a neighbor)

I'll keep you posted if it ever happens. I'm sure I'd need a ton of support. (My brother's son in law is just wrapping up a Glen-L Malahini. However, he is a woodworker by trade and has the ultimate shop....that helps.)

OK, threadjack over, sorry about that, guys.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

What's it about a 60 x 20 2 blade?
just about Bruce it's around 6 to 6.5 feet don't know how to figure pitch on it Dad always wanted it to go to the San Diego air museum,I guess it's up to me now to figure out how to get it there
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 4:51pm
Jeff, interesting stuff. I'm forwarding this link to my friend. I'm sure he'll find your post and video interesting.

Larry, I had a 1949 F1 Panel Truck that was re powered with a 327 in the late 70's that was my daily driver.

Gary, time for a road trip!
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2014 at 12:28am
Here's a 1937 Chrysler Royal straight eight I restored this past summer. She's going into a 1929 Dee Wite twin cockpit 19-footer w/V-drive that we're in the process of restoring.

Striving for mediocrity !
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2014 at 12:32am
Jan,
Very nice. Any pictures of the Dee Wite?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 3:26pm
Here is a link to he Glenn Curtiss museum in Hammondsport NY. I was here about a week ago with my son's cub scout pack. The V24 Allison was impressive and produced 3000hp in 1940. http://glennhcurtissmuseum.org/#

Here is another museum that just opened last summer but has been years in the making. I have not been yet but hear it is very nice.
Finger Lakes Boating Museum http://www.flbm.org/

David
86 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic