Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meguiars 49 Oxidation Remover

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meguiars 49 Oxidation Remover
    Posted: May-05-2006 at 2:09pm
I'm getting to REALLY clean the boat. At the recomendation of a few of you guys, I'm going to use the Meguiars 3 stage kit.

The question I have is, what does the Oxidation Remover do to the vinyl lettering on the side of the boat? Should I be very careful not to get it on the stickers? Or, do I really have to worry about it at all?

TIA

Derby

So It Goes!
Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 4:24pm
used it on mine yes it will remove some of the coloring on the graphics. Don't stay on them any longer than you need to. Mine are old and beat up figured I didn't have anything to loose

Booty
Booty
82,2001 82,2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 5:13pm
I suggest you mask off the vinyl for the first one or two stages of the three. Do some testing with the second stage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 7:26pm
pbrainard ,the meguiars marine system has 3 steps correct.the first is to remove fine scratches and oxidation correct? The second is a pollish to shine up the boat and the third is the wax to protect the finish after it is preped . So all you are saying is to just apply wax to the graphics. What should you use to clean them up with if they are dull and need attention?

Booty
Booty
82,2001 82,2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Booty Booty wrote:

pbrainard ,the meguiars marine system has 3 steps correct.the first is to remove fine scratches and oxidation correct? The second is a pollish to shine up the boat and the third is the wax to protect the finish after it is preped . So all you are saying is to just apply wax to the graphics. What should you use to clean them up with if they are dull and need attention?

Booty

That's why I suggested the testing. I know that the step one will be too abrasive and require the masking but the 2nd step may be ok and put some life back into the vinyl. I'd go over them by hand and then mask so you can rotary buff without worries.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 7:35pm
Might also want to look into the 3M products. They are more on the professional end of things.

Tim

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 11:33am
vinyl is vinyl and if it's dull then it's dull not much saving it.
JasonR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2008 at 1:43pm
I would recommend going with a more involved process. Depending on the amount of oxidation I would go with the Meguires heavy, medium or fine cut rubbing compounds. If you can rub your finger on it and it is the color of your boat then start with the medium and follow that with a light application of the fine. Folowing that you should always use the swirl remover. Fast and light application. Followed that with the mechanical polish for glaze compound. Followed by the wax. It sounds like alot and it is but gelcoat responds very well to compounds and it goes pretty fast. Ive done several boats and may RV's with this and have been more than happy every time. Use a good orbital buffer and keep the compound wet. I spray the pad with a water bottle to keep the compound moist. You dont want any of it to dry while applying. Its like sand paper. You start course and you get finer .
'86 2001 800hrs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic