NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another SN followed me home!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 1:16am
Cbr,
Is that a candy red under the white? That looks really nice after it's waxed. Always wanted a Mustang in the late 60s in that color.
1972 Mustang
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 12:46am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 12:33am

I discovered 2 holes for the helm, was this an option or PO DIY? I tried sitting behind the right location (which was how I got it) and it's way too close to the Morse control for me, so I'll switch it to the left one.
The red gel coat under the paint seems in good shape, so I'll keep sanding and hope for the best. It's a pretty red buffed up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 10:01pm

I repaired the windshield, and today made braces from aluminum stock (inside and outside) and ss machine button head bolts to hide the crack, and make the whole structure stiffer. The white rubber piece on the bottom edge needed lots of SOS and elbow grease, but came out pretty good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 12:28am

This is the dash after removing the glove box (not stock I see now), the po added a small wood piece on the left to make it fit. I'm moving the instruments back where they started. Thanks for the photo!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 8:37pm
I am sure we can all agree hack and particle board on a boat go hand in hand
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Craig is correct. Refer to the photo he posted as to what is original. Single speedo was optional.

I agree. Sounds like a PO did a hack job with the particle board.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 2:29pm
I'm certainly not the expert, and I know there wasn't a lot of consistency, but that picture I posted is of an original 1st Gen SN. It's also how my boat was configured with the exception that at one point it looks like someone added a 2nd speedo over the center of the dash.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 2:26pm
Craig is correct. Refer to the photo he posted as to what is original. Single speedo was optional.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

I got the dirty cracked windshield off, and the instrument mounting pos particle board too. What were they thinking using particle board, it turned into a hairy, particle spewing mess that I broke off with my hands! So I'm wondering what to replace it with, perhaps black acrylic?

By "they" do you mean Correct Craft? Because that instrument panel above your windshield certainly wasn't original. I plan on mounting a single speedometer above the steering wheel with the rest of the instruments in the center of the dash.

Just like this:

Do you really think so? I was wondering if it was possible someone other than CC fabricated an instrument panel, but it didn't seem likely. I've seen the single speedo like that and the rest of the instruments mounted where my glove box is on a Mustang of that era, but the Ski Nautique had 2 speedometers and instruments mounted in the same panel I thought. From the holes in the deck, it sure looks original.
Perhaps someone has a photo they can share.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 1:57pm
^^^   True   ^^^
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 1:49pm
Much like wearing a Salmon colored shirt, only real men drive without a windshield ----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

I got the dirty cracked windshield off, and the instrument mounting pos particle board too. What were they thinking using particle board, it turned into a hairy, particle spewing mess that I broke off with my hands! So I'm wondering what to replace it with, perhaps black acrylic?

By "they" do you mean Correct Craft? Because that instrument panel above your windshield certainly wasn't original. I plan on mounting a single speedometer above the steering wheel with the rest of the instruments in the center of the dash.

Just like this:

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 12:07pm

Looks pretty racy sans windshield.
I acrylic bonded the windshield 3 pieces together, but of course the broken lines still are there. Considering it's future too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 10:07pm
I wanted to get this engine to at least run before I got too involved in this project, and today it did! I had to hot wire the coil (losing volts somewhere) and pour a little gas down the now clean carb (the gas tank is still oozing the La Brea Tar Pits out the filler) and replace most of the ignition parts. At least I know where I'm starting now. I'll bet this engine hasn't fired in 40 years. Trying to post a short video without luck.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2015 at 1:57am
They can all be saved, just depends on how much money you want to throw at it. I had my Mustang tank restored (cut open, sandblasted, welded up, and epoxy coated inside) but I'm not going to use it. The patches are visible and I have a nice spare. Some have changed over to plastic tanks. Vondy has a nice pictorial here scroll down to Vondy's post.
If you're interested my Mustang tank is listed in the "parts for sale" forum. I am asking what the repair cost.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2015 at 1:32am

The blob! I took the gas tank out to clean it, and after rinsing it several times with gas, I set it on end to drain. This was the beginning of a huge blob that started coming out! I've cleaned a few old tanks, but this is the worst accumulation I've seen.
I left it upside down to keep draining overnight. Can this tank be saved? Where can I get a new one that will fit if not?
Happy New Year btw!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 6:03pm

These are 2 angles of the drivers seat base (fiberglass) I mentioned that came from where? I plan to use them,I don't see any point in building wood ones.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 11:53pm
Pine lumber sucks. They are cutting hybrid fast growing pulp wood for lumber. And 12 foot 2x4's are cut from the top of the tree and are full of knots and the most of the corners are rounded off.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 12:59pm
Gary,
I agree that we saw some better lumber back then but were seeing virgin lumber still. The grading system has not changed but today they will take defects all the way to the extreme and back then pass better quality as lower grades.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 11:52am
I ment quality wise,grains were tighter,less defects. The people selling it would have been embarrassed to sell you the stuff they sell today unless you were building packing crates. I don't believe the 2x6's HW got from me even had any knots in them at all. When my Grandfather built the garage in 1950 I'd be willing to bet that he didn't even see it until it was delivered so it wasn't hand picked
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

The wood was different back then too,what is premium today was off the shelf then. That seemed to change around the early 70's. I used to notice it in the houses I used to work in,floor joists were a big clue on when it was built.

Not really. Typical construction lumber today is still 8/4" when milled but unlike the "back then" surfaced after kiln dried to the actual 1&1/2". Grades were very similar.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 11:02pm
I probably wouldn't worry about fairing and sanding perfectly smooth... I bet a coat of resin over it will smooth it out a good bit, I'm not sure id even go that far!

Those hulls are thick and don't need the added strength of a rigid floor to hull wall joint... But if you're trying to keep water out, a few layers of cloth tape won't hurt. Keep the floor itself off the hull wall by a bit (1/8-1/4"?) and that joint should be flexy enough to take a light hit without cracking the gel.

I'm looking forward to seeing your boat make progress, Craig! Original style 1gens are pretty rare.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 11:00pm
I too thought carpet was the answer when I first did the Mustang. My pan was a mess and at the time no easy alternative was available. Within the first year I spilt oil on it changing the filter,I've hated carpet ever since and was so happy to find a pan. From a manufacturing standpoint carpet has to be easy and looks great at the showroom but I'll take a glass floor or maybe a Seadek over carpet any day IMHO
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 9:45pm
CBR...sorry for the threadjack.

Joe, I'm referring to my 67 project. I know your stance on not glassing the floor to the hull. I debated for a while on this but ultimately decided to glass the gap between the floor and hull sides.

Tim, I'm not really wanting to use roving, I just want the sides of the hull to look consistent from floor to gunnel. I feel there are 3 options:

1. Use roving on that joint and blend it to the current roving sides.
2. Use cloth but run it all the way up the sides to completely cover the roving.
3. Use cloth approx 4-5" up, fair/sand to a smooth side.

I think it'll probably be easier to fair and sand the hull sides and then paint it.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 7:09pm

This is the Home depot indoor outdoor carpet I used on my 88 Barefoot. It cuts and trims easily and looks and feels great when it's hot on bare feet. 3M #77 spray adhesive sticks great, is tacky fast, and doesn't bleed through. It was much easier and cheaper than the Boatcarpet.com carpet and cans of glue I used on my 87 SN (no shipping for one) and looks better.
Sometimes, original is not the best solution. Hot, slippery vinyl has no appeal to me. Just my opinion.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 4:38pm
I think you'll find roving is a less than optimal choice for that joint for reasons more important than texture... But if you're committed to that plan, an extra coat of resin or 2 followed by sanding and grinding the edges would probably knock it down pretty far. The inside of the hull walls on my 67 have some hatching on them iirc... I would be trying to make it consistent one way or the other.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 4:35pm
What boat are you talking about and why would you be glassing the floor to the wall in a boat old enough that you would care about the look of the woven roving on the side wall?     You are right btw the transition would look terrible.. I did it in my 67 mustang it would look terrible painted over and visible.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 4:26pm
I was less concerned about the "lip" of the transition, and more concerned over the actual texture of the roving compared to cloth. Unless I faired out the whole hull side there would be a clear texture difference of the surface. I would prefer the raw look of the roving just painted over if that's the way it would've came from the factory. I figured a real smooth hull side might look a little more modern. I'm probably splitting hairs.   
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Painted right over the fiberglass, no gel.

I guess I'm going to have to re-think my plan on how I glass the floor to the wall then. I was planning on just using 2" tape, 4" tape, then cloth from hull sides to primaries. But the transition from cloth to woving roving on the hull sides would be clearly visible and look terrible in my opinion when covered by just paint.

Nothing a little grinder smoothing (and thickened resin filling if necessary for any low spots) can't fix. You should see some of the smooth, near-mirror finishes achieved in the bilge after a stringer job by some here! Heck, I smooth out the transitions even if I plan to cover with carpet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic