NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Living in the country

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Living in the country
    Posted: December-19-2014 at 12:34pm
I'm sure there are at least a few of you that live out in the country. Our goal is to do the same within the next 6-18 months, depending upon what we can work out. What are some things that you would suggest considering, lessons learned, etc after living in the country for a while? I'm wanting to ensure I get some feedback from folks that have done it to see if there were things they overlooked prior to making the move and if there are things they would have done differently.

We've been casually looking at some places online and going to go visit a particular place that has most all of what we want.

Thoughts on modular homes would be helpful, also...quite a few of those for sale with land outside of the city.
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:07pm
I can't speak for myself but my folks moved to our lakehouse (on 6 acres) full time about 4 years ago. My wife and I have been a big part of helping them with the house and land for the last few years. The nearest town is about 20 miles and nearest "big" city is about 60 miles.

Once I have a little more time today I'll go through some of the stuff they and we have done to make life easier and fun down there for them. Lack of dependable utilities, water storage, gardening, wildlife, working/ commuting, all that fun stuff.

In the mean time here are some pictures:

Mom and Dad's retirement home...

The Original Cabin the Siblings and I share.. (Mom and Dad built it 24 years ago)
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:29pm
How far out in the country?
I grew up 12 miles from the nearest paved road and 40 miles from the nearest town, population 3000.

Some thoughts.
Get a Costco card.
Make sure you have lots of gas in your budget.
Enjoy those quiet evenings!
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:31pm
I don't have much light to shed on the modular houses first hand but I grew up in the cabin pictured during the summers and was there almost every weekend for the construction of the new one.

Wildlife: This will obviously depend on location and how far out you get but in the last quarter century we have had every manner of critter, bug, and thing living: around, under, and sometimes IN both houses. The log cabin was at a disadvantage from the start on keeping critters out but the stone house isn't exempt. You basically can't leave anything a varmint might want to eat uncovered. Even covered, they still seem to find a way in. Mom also can't keep any flowers around the house because the deer eat them right away. On the other hand, the love to have a heard of 15-20 whitetail eating at the feeder during breakfast. Makes for pretty good scenery with your coffee. On both houses we do tons of varmint prevention. Sealing every knook and cranny, traps, deterents, you name it. It keeps them to a minimum but I still get a dead mouse or mouse poo in the cabin very so often.

Plumbing:   Of course this part will be location and house specific but their house is in somewhat of a neighborhood and I use that term very loosely. About the only thing neighborhood about it is most of the homes and mini ranches share a large well and holding tank. It's old and doesn't have the greatest maintance so they have a tendency to loose all water pressure. I'm saving up to split a personal well with pops in the the next year or two. Since we are in centralish Texas it takes an act of god to get a hole deeper than 2 feet.

Plumbing on the house itself can be a whole nutha adventure depending on the construction of the house. Every 2-3 years I have to crawl under the cabin and replace my homemade pipe insulation. We've only had one pipe freeze/ burst in the last 2+ decades and got lucky that we were there when it happened. It doesn't get super cold down there but it's something to think about especially if you are well north of the Texas/OK border. And getting a plumber out to the country can be an adventure in itself. You generally can't get someone there in 24 hours and most of the time they aren't the kind of folk you really want in your house anyway.

Water Storage: We have water storage tanks on both houses. Each downspout on the stone house has a decorative 55 gal drum that helps immensely with keeping the yard alive in the summer. The cabin has two 375 gal water cubes that are hidden behind the deck. We use these for the veggie gardens and in case of emergency. In the last few years of drought these have been life and pocket book savers.

I'll get into commuting, electricity, and more stuff in a bit.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by *mtrbtr* *mtrbtr* wrote:

Get a Costco card.

Thats for sure... And a big ol deep freeze.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by *mtrbtr* *mtrbtr* wrote:

How far out in the country?
I grew up 12 miles from the nearest paved road and 40 miles from the nearest town, population 3000.

Some thoughts.
Get a Costco card.
Make sure you have lots of gas in your budget.
Enjoy those quiet evenings!

We're talking about 20 miles outside of OKC. The area we prefer is a town of about 2000 with similar sized towns around a 20 mile radius. It would be what I would consider semi-rural and we'd have to go into OKC or surrounding cities for most major shopping, etc.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:41pm
No Costco here, but I think I've heard rumors of one coming. We do have Sam's Club, though. We already have a good sized upright deep freeze and definitely know the value of that.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 2:08pm
Well water taste? smell? how deep is the well?
will your gen set power the well?

Is the electricity reliable?

Septic system age ? how deep is the tank in the ground? drain field? gray water discharge?

Flood zone? soil? is the ground level? mowing grass? trees? types? surface roots?

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 2:28pm
Got curious so looked it up. The Oklahoma City population is over 500,000 people and the metropolitan area is 1.4 million. No offense intended but could living 20 miles away really be considered "living out in the country"?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 2:32pm
That probably depends a lot on one's perspective. For someone that has lived mostly cities and suburbs, it feels like country to me. ;-)
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 2:45pm
on the housing situation... things with wheels go down in value over time, houses included. I would only make a mobile home part of the plan if you can start real construction right away, and you are seriously committed to staying a long time.   Resale in Rural areas is very much more difficult than in an urban setting as the target audience is much smaller, so plan on a long time to sell if you don't end up liking the country style of living. Factor in that if you purchase a mobile with property, and want to resell, you will take a hit on the house, and the land probably will not go up very much in value due to the market growth being smaller.   
- medical care is something that I would consider too, fortunately 20 miles isn't as far out as it could be, but if one of your boys gets hurt, that's an eternity to get them to a hospital.   
That said, the rural life does sound very attractive! good luck with your decision!
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

That probably depends a lot on one's perspective. For someone that has lived mostly cities and suburbs, it feels like country to me. ;-)

Agreed. The suburban sprawl on the north side of Atlanta is nuts, here on the south side civilization ends about 30 miles from the city. It just sounded like you were packing it up for Alaska or something. ..

Not sure I'd wanna live in a mobile home there in tornado alley.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 3:40pm
Modular is not Mobile, they are pre-fabbed and assembled on site type
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 4:50pm
Here's a video I found the other day with a multi-section modular showing a lot of the construction and installation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXUd-yUy0S0

Some of them, like the one we are looking at, can resemble mobile/trailer homes in that they are rectangular. But, modular seems to be built like the older homes through the early 1900's with floor joists and set above ground with a crawl space. It seems the common foundation design is kind of like a stem wall to support the various sections, that the home is strapped down to. That should fare about as well as standard on-site construction in a tornado. That being said, I prefer having a storm shelter, regardless of house style, especially being out more rural.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 5:37pm
Like Quinner says, modular is not mobile, or specifically, modular is built to the same standards of "stick built" or "site built" homes. Mobile after 1976+- is actually Manufactured and built to HUD standards and is a completely different ball of wax, what people refer to as a mobile home.

Those look like modular in the video, although it comes down to the standard that it is built to. If it's HUD, it's a manufactured home and has different financing altogether. If you ask a dealer what standard it's built to and they don't know what your talking about, they're lying.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 5:37pm
That's a lot nicer than what people typically think of when they think modular.

I'm sure you'd never regret having a full basement (a cellar as we say in Boston, we pronounce it cell-ah). It gives you a nice place for your heating, hot water etc. As well as a good place to store stuff. You hardly have a see a house without one around here. Of course, the upfront additional cost is more.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 6:47pm
Don't forget the cultural changes...if you have kids be aware drug use is typically far worse in small town America than in cities and suburbs.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 7:56pm
modular/mobile is still a category on the MLS, and the value is considerably less for those homes classified as such, especially if it looks like a mobile.   Mean house values for our area are in the 300k range, you can get a mobile/modular for less than 1/3 of that, but even in a bad neighborhood, you'd be really hard pressed to find a stick built house for under 120 that wasn't a complete teardown. Older/abused mobiles appear on craigslist from time to time here with a free sign on them, you just have pony up to have them moved. Having a real foundation helps, but there is still a perception of mobile/modular construction/quality, much like Brian was saying, that keeps the values from increasing in the same way a stick built home would.   

It may be the answer for Okie and his Family, I just would hate for him to go into the deal with his eyes closed.   Perception may be different in Oklahoma as well, different parts of this country operate very differently.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 11:22am
We went to look at a couple places yesterday. This is an aerial shot of the one with the modular I mentioned; it is on 10 acres. The guy has done a ton of brush hog work clearing around the house and making walking trails through the woods. His shop is nice (it's next to the house but not in the aerial shot) and everything is laid out good. The house is decent, but I'm not sure about that part.

Here is an aerial of a property we went by. Pretty good sized and heavily wooded, but has a creek right through the middle. We have explored purchasing and building with our mortgage banker and we could go either way. We'll look around some more and see which direction we want to go.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 11:47am
Does OK have a real estate law where the real estate agent has to state whether they represent the buyer or seller, or do all agents have to represent the seller? If they have to state who they represent, you should find a good buyer broker. Mobile and modular are not the same thing and you should know the difference before you buy. If you can't find a good agent that will represent you, find a good real estate appraiser.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 11:32am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Don't forget the cultural changes...if you have kids be aware drug use is typically far worse in small town America than in cities and suburbs.

Yea, follow the track marks to the country??

As a blanket statement that is ridiculous, regardless of where you live it should be on your radar with kids. Several affluent suburbs of Chicago have had big issues with heroin use while my hick town does not, fact!

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 11:42am
It's fairly well documented drug abuse is a bigger problem in rural areas compared to urban development. Don't take it personal.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Yea, follow the track marks to the country??

As a blanket statement that is ridiculous, regardless of where you live it should be on your radar with kids. Several affluent suburbs of Chicago have had big issues with heroin use while my hick town does not, fact

As i have spent the last 10 years working with law enforcement agencies, rural and urban, on their community drug awareness programs I feel qualified to make such a blanket statement
and yes you are right, there is a serious heroin epidemic particularly with affluent suburban high school kids.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 12:16pm
I was raised in the country... moved to town when we got married in 75 (it was only supposed to be for a few years-turned out to be 15... hated it!)

Moved back out in 1990. We have just under 3 acres. If I had my way I would stay there 24/7...except to go boating.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 12:24pm
My point being, Drug use with Kids is an issue everywhere and as parents we need to be aware regardless of where we live
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 12:26pm
That didn't sound like your point and if it was there was no reason to call what 74wind said "ridiculous". Say you're sorry.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 12:29pm
Hmmm, 2000 people, that's a darn metropolis, LOL. I live in a village about 50 miles west of Chicago, population 658. We moved out here about 13 years ago simply because of the crazy prices of real estate at the time. We purchased a home twice the size we moved out of for half the price of the same home in the burbs.

I work about 25 miles east, closer to civilization, so for us the big deal was making sure we planned for grocery shopping. We'd typically shop at the stores near work because the closest grocery was still about 20 minutes from home at the time, since then we've had a Jewel Store built about 15 miles away so things have gotten much easier.

pros would be peace and quiet, no home owner association rules. I can build boats in the garage or store my motorhome in the drive. We have just under an acre which to me is plenty to maintain. We have a wooded area behind our house that is unbuildable so my view out back will never change. Our community sits between 2 others than are trying to grow so we have some sprawl east and west of us but we voted in a few years ago that any new home site must have 5 acres in order to build. We're letting the growth leapfrog us which is fine by me.

Cons are you eventually get tired of the peace and quiet, LOL. Plenty of times we want to go to dinner or a movie and it's more of a chore than it's worth. Also when you put yourself out off the beaten path everything is farther away than it appears because of the lack of major roadways, everything is secondary 2 lane roads.   Winter driving can be interesting which is another reason we MUST have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. We also have no city water or sewer so we have to maintain all that ourselves. Here's another draw back which irks me a bit is that a few years ago our village was incorporated into the county so our property taxes doubled but I'm too far away to enjoy any ammenities, like the park district, libraries, or an actual police force and fire department even though I pay for all of them.   You do need to pay attention to schools if you have that age children, we didn't so it wasn't a concern.

You also have to get used to your friends saying where the %&*%*& is Big Rock!!

If we had to move again as much as I dislike being so far from a lot of things (including friends)I think we would still stay out of the burbs, the distance is a minor inconvenience to pay for being able to whatever you want without a neighbor complaining.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 12:30pm
Steve-No you were raised in the what we called the sticks. That is defined by how much gas it took in your 396 Chevelle to make a Mc Donald's run. 2+ gallons = sticks,under 2 = country. Bike or walking distance who you kidding you weren't cruising McDonalds anyway
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Steve-No you were raised in the what we called the sticks. That is defined by how much gas it took in your 396 Chevelle to make a Mc Donald's run. 2+ gallons = sticks,under 2 = country. Bike or walking distance who you kidding you weren't cruising McDonalds anyway

uhhh,so many wrongs here...

most "real city" people consider the city of Sterling in the sticks..it aint, heck we got a couple one way streets WITH traffic signals!

We cruised Sandys (19 cent hamburgers) not McD's.

We didnt worry too much about gas... well only to see if it was 37.9 or 38.9(yes cents) / gallon.

Bike...you mean pedal?... thats why we had dirt bikes and road them right past a sherrif's house when I was 13.

and finally my Chevelle is a 454 not that puny 396'

btw, if I had my way, I would move out farther than I am right now.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 12:56pm
Exactly my point then---you had no Mc Donald's
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic