NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Living in the country

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 12:31am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

For what its worth ,
Energy Star says average savings around $80/year/$1700 over life of heater.

The Energy Star figures are misleading and I consider it to be marketing hype. It depends on where your hot water tank is located and if the heat loss adds to your heated space or not.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 12:43am
We have a Bosch Aquastar that has been in for 7 or 8 years,like it for the same reasons as Steve. Have not touched it since it has been put in but you are supposed to check and clean some valve.I have been advised that the Mrs can feel the temp fluctuating so when I get back it looks like its time to clean or replace the valve,it's only 21.00 for the rebuild kit which includes a new valve.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 1:43pm
So, for you guys that have them, would you do it the same way if you had to do it over again? Do you have hard water?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 2:11pm
I myself, I kinda hate them. I can feel temp fluctuations as well as pressure/volume fluctuations. I've wired more than one that I've had to go back and re wire for a tank jobbie a year later. When I bought my last house I had to replace my tank immediately due to it leaking. In order to replace it I had to remove a load bearing wall and expand a door opening. An insta hot would've dodged these issues and saved money as well as space, but I opted to stick with a tank given my experiences.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

So, for you guys that have them, would you do it the same way if you had to do it over again? Do you have hard water?

We did replace our first tankless with another tankless. I think it is a Bradford White. The first one we had to mix cold water with the hot to achieve a non-scalding temperature. This one we just set a digital display.

And yes.. our water is very hard, with LOTS of rust. We use an Iron Guard filter system to remove it. Then to the softener.. both before the heater.

The only down side we have found is when rinsing dishes you need to throttle the water. If you turn it on and off you will get hot and cold waves. (we knew that when we purchased the first tankless). No big deal tho.

Dont want to jinx it, but have had no issues with temperature inconsistencies at all. No pressure variances, etc. We are on a well and I have my pump set a bit high. Hope I dont need to replace for quite a few years...Overall cant say I wish I had my old 50 gal tank heater back.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 2:50pm
Same here I like the room I have gained,and the fact you never run out of hot water.I have a shallow well and a water softener and the heater is gas fired.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 3:01pm
Todd,
how many have you replaced with tanked? / what brand tankless have you worked with? Definitely not my experience..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I have a shallow well

Hopefully the point will last. It's hard to find anyone these days that will drive a shallow well anymore. The danger and liability of getting bad water to too high. You never know whats coming down that river you live on! The way around having to drill a well is driving one yourself when no one is looking. I don't think you would be able to do it since you have gone into the lifestyle of heated seats!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 3:35pm
We actually live in a narrow area that has springs Pete,there are 3 of them on our property and we are using 2. Dad hand dug them and lined them back in the 40's. I did have the foot valve fail last year and the tank bladder fail this fall but that's just normal maintaince to us. We have the water tested thru the county every year. When a neighbor built back in 05ish it disrupted mine but it now has come back. I went to have a well put in but that was during the building boom, one guy finally said he do it he even got the permits, and never showed up! I wasn't out any money so I didn't care . Glad he didn't I hear the waters not too good.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 7:22pm
guys i wasnt refering to tankless systems v.s 40 gal vented gas systems i was comparing to 40 gal or larger boiler mate style off of your forced hot water system. there is nothing wrong with the tankless systems I have installed a number of them . if i had forced hot air heat i would use one if i has forced hot water i would go the boilermate route and last i would choose the 6 yr warranty lasts 6 yrs 6 mos nat or l.p vented tank .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

if i has forced hot water i would go the boilermate route and last

I agree - It's been great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 7:59pm
That looks simple enough what could go wrong
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 8:22pm
Pete its hard to tell from the pics but is that boiler not done with primary /secondary looping? and is that circ on the bottom pumping towards or away..   as far as what can go wrong not much more than what can happen to any system. catastrophic failure of any component flooding /fire drowning wet feet
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 9:34pm
Does anybody here have an ELECTRIC tankless whole house water heater? I keep forgetting about gas, gas is foreign here.
If so, please do me a favor, take a current reading on what its drawing and is the load continuous or intermittent?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 9:35pm
Peter,
Here's a better picture that shows the primary loop.

I'm not sure what direction that pump on the bottom is pumping.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

take a current reading on what its drawing and is the load continuous or intermittent?

Todd,
You sure are asking a lot!! You think one of our members has ether a clamp on or doughnut AND an electric tankless?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 9:48pm
Yeah I know Pete. The average electric tankless heater is 18kw. I just don't see any $ savings if it's a straight 18kw for that 15 minute shower per person vs. an intermittent actual draw of ~27 amps on a tank jobbie. Trying to find the answer online and hadn't yet.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 9:52pm
Todd, my tankless is also natural gas.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 10:06pm
Todd,
Since the Kw/Btu per Lb. of water is the same between both, there isn't any savings on the actual cost of heating the water. Insulate the tank type and you won't need to put up with all the headaches of the tankless. The $$$ saved would go miles making up for the heat loss of the tank.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 8:06am
I live in a very hard water area boilers last around here as follows,
Tankless boilers last around 8 to 10 years with a calcium inhibitor fitted,the press steel water jackets fail most often.
Tank systems with calcium inhibitor 20 years + , I like many over here run slightly less efficient gas boilers with cast steel jackets.   

You can fit all piping in a small area if needed... my 2 boiler ( gas boiler in garage ,next to the wood fire with water jacket chimney brest in the kitchen) set up on a vented tank system.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 10:00am
Pete thats some pretty nice looking work there and by the book by what i see.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 10:50am

Pete thats some pretty nice looking work there and by the book by what i see.

I can't take credit for it. My plumber did it and yes, he did do a great job and used all top end equipment. It however is the only work he did that worked out. Nether I or my general contractor will use him anymore. He didn't read the specs so didn't loop the bathroom on a separate zone and then didn't put the septic tank where I wanted! These things happen when I wasn't up there watching. I did correct the bath heat somewhat by adding a baseboard hydronic behind the toilet. It helped but since the water temp on the loop is low for the in floor, it doesn't put out it's normal rating. Next step will be a kick space. Since the picture was taken, I did insulate all the piping. It got pretty warm in the utility room with all that radiation!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Does anybody here have an ELECTRIC tankless whole house water heater? I keep forgetting about gas, gas is foreign here.
If so, please do me a favor, take a current reading on what its drawing and is the load continuous or intermittent?

I have a electric one. Two 40 amp breakers and it is(was) close to the panel as the wires to run it are fairly large. In my case #6. I used it in my cabin/garage for a few years until the house was built. I loved the functionality and never had a bit of trouble.
I cant get the amp readings as it is no longer in use, but I would imagine if it is intermittent it is a quick cycle. It has two bowls that heat so I think it uses one until more capacity is demanded. We get very cold up here and the ground water temp was never an issue as far as getting it hot enough for household use. Down south would be a piece of cake.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

I have a electric one. Two 40 amp breakers   
It has two bowls that heat so I think it uses one until more capacity is demanded.
Bill,
Are the 2 beakers double pole? One for each "bowl"? If so, that would get you to the 18Kw rating Todd mentioned. If two single pole 40 amp breakers, then your's is about half the size.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 5:16pm
I have a tanklesss I installed for my hot water in my house, I love it. It's a RHEEM 9.4 GPM, I forget the exact Model.

Thanks for reminding me it'ss due for a clean out!!

Pete, where in WI are you planning on moving?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Pete, where in WI are you planning on moving?

To my house. Notice my signature line!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 9:16pm
if he does work that neat and clean i would forgive him for the rest   yes the 500" of pipe in a boiler room sheds a lot of heat.. i love working in them on days like we have been having here. did you use piss resistant slant fin baseboard behind the toilet ? it really works well in wet areas...one quick note to people in freezing areas ..just an observation i made after or during these last 2 weeks here.... If you insulate a cold water (or hot) pipe because it is in the proximity of a very cold sill or outside wall or windy spot.... think about the logic behind it the insulation will only buy you time before the pipe freezes it still absorbs the cold air   it is not a cure for freezing it will help with condensation and stop a bit of heat loss    that is all     thank you for listening
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 9:54pm

did you use piss resistant slant fin baseboard behind the toilet ?

Knowing that I was working with a lower temp water with the slant fin, I did modify it. I bought 2 reworked the support and double decked the fin tube with a U bend. Then had to make up a new sheet metal front. No on the piss resistant but not worried since I have pretty good aim!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 12:01am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

I have a electric one. Two 40 amp breakers   
It has two bowls that heat so I think it uses one until more capacity is demanded.
Bill,
Are the 2 beakers double pole? One for each "bowl"? If so, that would get you to the 18Kw rating Todd mentioned. If two single pole 40 amp breakers, then your's is about half the size.

Two double pole.
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 11:29am
Thanks all for the feedback and info. We've been working on a design with our architect for several weeks now and have it pretty nailed down. Hopefully, we'll be kicking this off soon. I'll probably do a thread to show the progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic