Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pylon "Cup" Please Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pylon "Cup" Please Help
    Posted: December-23-2014 at 6:38pm
This past summer I broke the cardinal rule...I took some neighbors tubing...oh yeah 3 of them in a tube...NEVER AGAIN...either learn to ski or sit in the boat...any way my pylon was pushed back..leaning toward the engine...I took it to a friend and he mentioned that the cup had in fact moved forward...how important is this cup...can I use the pylon as is ...that is with the 2 "u" bolts attaching it to the metal frame...I am not very technical ...and I do not welcome the idea of taking this to the dealer to repair ...your thoughts as always would be much..much...appreciated...thanks ....basically what is the function of this cup...there was a 3rd u bolt attaching this to a 2 hole thing fibreglassed into the bottom of the boat...

skiguy
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 6:47pm
I've never heard of a cup moving. Post some pictures.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 6:48pm
The year and model of your boat would help too.

Cups can't really move, unless you mean "detach".
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 7:02pm
A picture as mentioned sure would help. I agree with Tim that they don't move. The cup is VERY important since it provides the needed fulcrum for the leverage the pylon produces.

Shame on you pulling tubes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 7:02pm

skiguy
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 7:07pm
you can see that flat piece with the hole in it the u bolt goes around the bottom of the pylon and into that angled metal that is fiber glassed to the floor it seems it has moved a bit...pushed forward with the fiberglass....the other 2 u bolts will they be strong enough on their own to hold the pylon in place...surely the fibreglassed portion wasn't providing that much retention.....

skiguy
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 7:08pm
this is a 1999 air tique. or 176 Ski Nautique....
skiguy
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 7:11pm
skiguy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by skiguy27 skiguy27 wrote:

you can see that flat piece with the hole in it the u bolt goes around the bottom of the pylon and into that angled metal that is fiber glassed to the floor it seems it has moved a bit...pushed forward with the fiberglass....the other 2 u bolts will they be strong enough on their own to hold the pylon in place...surely the fibreglassed portion wasn't providing that much retention.....

The answer is no, as explained, the anchor point to the keel is required. If it wasn't needed, do you think CC would have installed it? Grind it out and re glass it to the hull/keel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 7:22pm
You'ree to making me cry !....I hate to ask this ...I am not handy at all...I have friends who are ...however they know little about boats ..what would be involved in me doing it myself ..how difficult is it to fiberglass this angled metal back into place...what type of fiberglass should I buy...sorry for all the questions...again thanks for your help...
skiguy
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 7:42pm
Are you sure there was actually a movement here? These pylons have some natural bend to them anyway.

3 people on a tube wouldn't put more load on the pylon then 3 footers, which is been done many times. Unless the tube flipped over and the skirt became a water parachute?

I'm not condoning tubing by any means, but when I worked at a summer camp, I pulled two 200pound plus counselors on one tube, no problem with a 90HP two stroke merc. That boat struggled more with one 150 poundish wakeboarder.

It's hard to imagine your skinautique would even notice unless like I say, the tube capsized and it had an open skirt that parachuted.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 7:45pm
If I were you I'd take it in to get fixed that way everytime you think of the bill you would remember why it's called a Ski   Nautique and not a Tube Nautique. Seriously it sounds like you need someone who knows what their doing as you found out there are a lot of forces at work there,someone could get hurt if it failed IMHO.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 8:05pm
I'm also curious how a tube could put enough force into a pylon to break that lower "cup". That doesn't seem right to me. If that thing has come loose you will need to get it fixed correctly. That lower point really does align everything and it important to how the pylon functions.

Sorry, but I can't really see in those photos what has moved. Can you pull the camera back a bit to get a better view of the entirety of that area?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 8:12pm
Boat in now in storage until April....the pylon photo shows an indentation where the u bolt wrapped around and into this angled piece of metal sticking up out of the hull 2 bolts where bolted to the metal frame...I was told that occassionaly this connection to the frame lossens and must be tightened from time to time ...I have never done this though...I just don't understand how the bolts loosened though...
I will check to see if I have better photos
skiguy
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 8:14pm

this is what has moved it seems maybe it just holds the pylon down..
skiguy
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 8:15pm
picture the bottom of the pylon attached to this with a u bolt...
skiguy
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 8:18pm
it is still embedded in the fiberglass but it has moved forward...I was able to use the pylon to knock it back to its original position
skiguy
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 8:27pm

picture the pylon going through the upper ubolts...and being attached to this angled metal on the hull of the boat..
skiguy
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 8:27pm
It's not rocket science. You need to remove the pyon entirely. After the cup is out, you can use coarse sandpaper to etch the mounting area. Then use epoxy (lots of it) to glue the cup back in. Reassemble & go skiing.

I have a 4 person tube (haven't used it in years) that wants to 'submarine' - it could break the tow rope if you didn't let off on the throttle in time.    So don't feel like you did something wrong!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I have a 4 person tube (haven't used it in years) that wants to 'submarine' - it could break the tow rope if you didn't let off on the throttle in time.    So don't feel like you did something wrong!

We broke a new tow rope this summer towing a young knee boarder. The board had a hook and the kid refused to grab the handle with his hands. He fell off, board submarined and looked like a fishing lure flailing around just below the surface before snapping the rope and making a horrific sound from the fly high.

Good times.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 10:50pm
Geez, why not cut the throttle as soon as he fell? Should be standard practice anytime anyone falls, pretty much ever. Then idle back. Unless you need to protect your skier from getting run over by another boat- that's the only exception.

Tubes can put an incredible amount of stress on the tow point. Way more than any combination of barefooters under the right conditions. They have a lot of surface area and that can be used against the boat when overloaded or when positioned just right. And the rider usually doesn't have much control over it. Good news is there's an easy solution: don't pull tubes. Bonus points awarded to those who make tube pullers feel ashamed for doing so.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Tubes can put an incredible amount of stress on the tow point. Way more than any combination of barefooters under the right conditions. They have a lot of surface area and that can be used against the boat when overloaded or when positioned just right. And the rider usually doesn't have much control over it.

I totally agree with Tim about the stress. It sounds like some of our members who disagree didn't do well in their high school psychics class.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 12:01am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

It's not rocket science. You need to remove the pyon entirely. After the cup is out, you can use coarse sandpaper to etch the mounting area. Then use epoxy (lots of it) to glue the cup back in. Reassemble & go skiing.

Chris,
You forgot to mention a couple things. I would solvent wash the area several times during the sanding (I would prefer grinding) process since bilges can get pretty greasy. Then, I would also suggest grinding the bonding surface on the angle to clean it up. The epoxy is good but I'd also like to see some glass over the angle too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 10:01am
Thanks for your help guys...please look away from your monitors I am not worthy..no please..don't even make eye contact...
skiguy
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 10:37am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tubes can put an incredible amount of stress on the tow point. Way more than any combination of barefooters under the right conditions. They have a lot of surface area and that can be used against the boat when overloaded or when positioned just right. And the rider usually doesn't have much control over it.

I totally agree with Tim about the stress. It sounds like some of our members who disagree didn't do well in their high school psychics class.   
cs

Or spelling.....apparently. Or was there a course on psycho chics in your school?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 11:24am
Heeheehee. Nice spell check Jeff

I must admit though, this discussion did make me curious and I started to try and recall Centrifugal Force vs. Centripetal Force; what they are and how they differ.

My father had kept a bunch of his old high school text books in the attic. I found his old physics book and started flipping through it. I found the following diagram, which I believe can be very helpful:

jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 12:16pm
A good adhesive for this project would be Plexus MA310. I had to do this to my boat this spring when the Pylon bracket at the floor came loose. It was pretty easy but a pain with the motor in the way but it can be done. There is a great adhesive kit that mixes the epoxy as it slides down the tube. .http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=38217

Also build up a small wall with fiberglass in front of the plate. Becareful that you don't make it to big because the wall can get in the way of the pylon. I built most of the wall up to the left and right of where the pylon attaches to the plate and sanded off some of the excess wall to get the pylon to sit back in place. This will help keep it in position and take some of the stress off the epoxy

Also order a quart of bilgekote to paint the fresh fiberglass you'll be laying in there.
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 12:32pm
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 12:52pm
This seems to be a little bit of a different design than the cups I've seen on the older boat rebuild threads.

This seems to be more of a bracket than a cup, if I'm seeing this correctly. Maybe since it's a newer model boat?

I'd like to see some pictures from under the doghouse (engine cover) with the camera faced towards the bow (backside of this bracket).
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 12:57pm

Geez, why not cut the throttle as soon as he fell? Should be standard practice anytime anyone falls, pretty much ever.

It was hard to see him as he was laying down on the board and his entire family was kneeling on the rear bench blocking my view. It only took a few seconds to snap the line after he fell off.

Trust me, it will never happen again.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic