Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Tique Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1977 Tique Restoration
    Posted: December-27-2014 at 12:43am
Hello CCF,

Been following along for quite some time now, and finally got a chance to start my own restoration. She's a 77 tique that has been ignored for too long. Needs a complete restoration...see photos below.

As you can see, the restoration has begun. I'm at the point where I am going to rip the floor out and any foam. I'm sure that'll be a mess.

My question to the group is: Is it worth stabilizing the hull with support other than what the trailer provides?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Alex
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 1:09am
That certainly is a project. Looks like fun.
I can't help but notice your profile says Cleveland, I'd love to come lend a hand. What part of Cleveland?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 1:10am
And the answer to stabilizing the hull is yes.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 1:24am
something like this

Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I'm not the carpenter some of these guys are, and I don't have all the fancy woodworking tools. Nonetheless, these are the stands I made for my stringer job. They are quite sturdy. I used scrap lumber sitting around the house, and a bunch of screws that have been sitting in the cupboard forever. Only had to buy 4 Bolts. Total invested $3 and some time. BKH

bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 1:40am
IAughtNaut - thanks for the quick response! The boat is in Brecksville at my dad's house, I come home from Philly for work weekends. Appreciate the offer...I'm sure there will be many head-scratching moments.

And I appreciate the photos of the stands. I'll recreate those soon prior to pulling any stringers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 2:02am
I live downtown so Brecksville is only about 25 minutes from me. I've never torn one apart myself but I've been in and out of them at each stage and might be able to provide some help. What's the goal on the boat? in the water this year? What's the power plant and does it run?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 8:55am
Alex,
Welcome to the restoration. Keep the pictures coming and any questions you may have,

I'm one who doesn't feel extra support is needed as long as the trailer is in good condition and the boat is sitting evenly on the bunks. Off the trailer yes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 10:54am
Great boats. Have fun.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 10:54am
I agree with Pete. The question of stabilization will vary from hull to hull... Size and thickness being the keys to how much it will flex. I did my Tique on the trailer with no additional support and the hull was plenty solid.
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 11:54am
Alright, thanks for the offer to help. Have you ever been part of a stringer replacement project? Everything I have learned is from CCF via the forum...but have never tried myself.

As for engine, it's a 302 PCM - hasn't been run since 2007 so I'm not sure of it's state. Figured I'd get the body of boat shored up first, then work on the motor (admittedly not a strength of mine) a bit later.

My goal is to get the tique in the water in 2015...a lot of work to do before then!
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 11:57am
Sorry - that was directed towards IAughtNaut

Thanks for everyone's advice!
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 12:06pm

Ok, another question. Somewhere along the 500 mile drive from East Chatham NY to OH, I seem to have lost a piece of the windshield. Anyone have any recommendations for how to replace this? Highly doubt correct craft still makes this piece....any direction would be much appreciated..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 12:07pm
nope, but the first times the charm. I didn't even break anyone else's boat last year. I don't think.

now 2013, that's another story altogether
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 12:11pm
I noticed that, windshields are highly coveted pieces, especially correct ones. keep your eyes out for a part out on the site, otherwise you may get lucky on Craigslist. although chances are someone on the Craigslist thread here will find it first.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 12:17pm
Dang.

Yeah I figured that little piece might come down to a craigslist search....
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 12:55pm
Should be sweet when your done.

Waldo
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 1:51pm
Looks great! I have it's twin i the driveway, waiting for resto. Too bad you are soo far away. Would sell it for parts.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

Looks great! I have it's twin i the driveway, waiting for resto. Too bad you are soo far away. Would sell it for parts.

Looks like a complete boat....what would you scrap it out for parts?

Is it because it needs a stringer or does it need a motor too?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 2:30pm

How much? Would you consider selling the windshield? My dad lives in FL so this is feasible.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 2:34pm
Regarding the vent window, just take the one you have to a glass shop and have another one made. Finding one on the net less a complete windshield will be hard. Even a complete one won't be easy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 4:50pm
sorry for thread jack,adam you can come help me with 69 cuda ss project anytime.dan monahan
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by 93/70 ccpb 93/70 ccpb wrote:

sorry for thread jack,adam you can come help me with 69 cuda ss project anytime.dan monahan
pick up the phone when you're about to get after it, I'll be there!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 7:16pm
I think the stringers are ok. Has a ton of little things wrong, repaired incorrectly. Major issues are a weird knock in the engine, cylinder 8 was a little funky on compression check. At some time during its storage a squirrel got inside and chewed up a lot of wires. Manifolds have been poorly repaired, don't look safe to use. Vent windows are missing. Speedo is missing.

I just put new springs and bearings on the trailer. Tires and rims were new from Tractor Supply 2 years ago. I would love to get it back together, but I have plenty going on with my Mustang project. I have about $1200 in it. If somebody wanted to take it for that they are welcome to come take a look.

flickr pics
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 7:38pm

I think the stringers are ok. Has a ton of little things wrong, repaired incorrectly. Major issues are a weird knock in the engine, cylinder 8 was a little funky on compression check. At some time during its storage a squirrel got inside and chewed up a lot of wires. Manifolds have been poorly repaired, don't look safe to use. Vent windows are missing. Speedo is missing.

I just put new springs and bearings on the trailer. Tires and rims were new from Tractor Supply 2 years ago. I would love to get it back together, but I have plenty going on with my Mustang project. I have about $1200 in it. If somebody wanted to take it for that they are welcome to come take a look.

flickr pics

Got ya - well if you ever change your mind, I'll be standing by for the port-side window and frame!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 12:20pm
hey Alex, email Chris from the bottom of this diary entry where it says contact owner, he has the windshield pieces you need. I might be able to get them to you this spring or summer.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

hey Alex, email Chris from the bottom of this diary entry where it says contact owner, he has the windshield pieces you need. I might be able to get them to you this spring or summer.

Thanks Adam. That is phenomenal news! Just emailed Chris. Will see what he can do!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 12:56pm
he's got a couple Tiques bouncing around his garage so it doesn't surprise me he has extra parts.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 2:59pm

Props to Chris (storm34) for the port side window! Fits perfectly!

Going to build stands to support the hull this weekend - from there it's time to rip open the floor to see what's waiting on the other side.....

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 11:09pm
Glad it worked out! Keep us posted on your progress!!
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2015 at 11:35pm
Hey Guys,

Finally got around to building a few stands for the tique. Took an entire weekend back in May, but was definitely more cost effective than buying a set of steel ones from a boat yard. Credit to bkhallpass for the design lol.

Fast forward two months and I finally got another weekend of work in to put the stands underneath the boat to ensure it is level. After review of other opinions on CCF (trust me there are a lot!), I elected to keep the trailer under the boat in addition to the stands. Figured the additional support can't hurt.

After supporting the hulls, I became curious to see what kind of wildlife I had growing underneath the original fiberglass floor. Since the portside stringer seems particularly rotten, figured I'd start there.

Best tool for the job so far was my circular saw and an oscillating power tool. As expected, there is a lot of moisture underneath the floorboards. I purchased this boat from the scouting organization I'm part of in the fall of 2o14. I'm pretty active in the organization, and know that the boat hasn't been used since 2007 and was left uncovered in a field in Albany, NY for all 7 of those years. So again, I'm wasn't surprised to see totally rotten wood and foam that was still wet!

From this point on, it's all about the demo. I need to remove all foam and carefully extract the wood so that I can try and use it for tracing purposes later...am worried that when I get to the main stringer it will be hard to extract it all in one piece. Has anyone had trouble with this? Any advice?

Will post more pictures after the next work weekend - I wish I had a week off to put a major dent into this!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic