Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fine in idle, terrible when in gearSN2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
eyedsn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fine in idle, terrible when in gearSN2001
    Posted: May-29-2006 at 9:07am
White, and for about 1-2 seconds. Yeah, I read a post about the shaft and stuffing box.
These boats are suprisingly roomy. We were out with 6 people wakeboarding and all of our gear and had plenty of room.

D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2006 at 10:39pm
What color smoke? white's water vapor and would be most common and nothing to get excited unless it constant. A little after stopping for a few minutesis normal. Adjust the shaft and ridder stuffing box's and it should reduce the amount of water but you will always get some water in the bilge unless you go to a dripless shaft log and the dripples packing flax for the rudder.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2006 at 4:22pm
Put the old carb back on last night. Advanced the timing to about 9 btdc. Ran about 6 hours straight today and no problems. The plugs were a little fouled from the other carb running so rich.

Is it fairly normal to get a little puff of smoke from exhaust when taking off pulling a boarder? It didn't seem to run poorly, had plenty of power. Just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking for.

I also get quite a bit of H2O in the bilge, I suspect from the shaft.

Thanks again,
D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2006 at 9:10am
Great, thanks. The timing is set to 6btd, so I will advance it a little. Will also try to get my neighbor to tweak the carb a little.

Don
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2006 at 7:22am
Yes, I concur, likely a richer idle and well set timing is needed.

If the air screws are too lean or the static timing is too retaded, those symtoms will persist. An engine set 6-8 degrees can be symtomatic where 10 sees marked improvement.

Set the air screws with your buddy
in gear, making the engine run strong and smooth at idle. The results will be markedly little drop in rpm when you put it in and out of gear, minimize the flat spot off idle, and make most restarts a hands-off afair.

You will be able to feel the engine's smoothness and pull by gauging rpms, speed and smothness right through your feet, its very effective. This results in the perfect idle mix when under load, a strong condition that is a touch richer than most set-at-idle-in-nuetral methods.

Check for fuel expansion, drippy venturi or accel pump squiring fuel a few minutes after shutting down. If this is occuring,a dress the excess heat or bad needle/seats because the above adjustments wont overcome the overly rich condition on the next startup from the raw fuel.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2006 at 10:48pm
If getting it a bit richer does not do it...I would try advaning the timming a tad and see if that does it...worked for me when I had trouble with warm starts.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2006 at 10:26pm
richen up the choke setting and double check the timing, you cold have a coil or modual breaking down when hot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2006 at 9:58pm
Well, me and a buddy took it out tonight for a test run that turned into a couple sets. I runs awesome. The only problem I am having is after its warm, it doesn't want to start. I have to mess with the throttle. I think this is a carb thing. Cold it starts easy. Warm, not so easy. The choke is open when warm, just not sure about the gas.

Anyway, the thing runs smooth and pulls strong with the Acme 542 prop I have on it.

Any ideas about my warm rough starts would be appreciated.

Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2006 at 2:27pm
79nautique, I think they are steel block and aluminum heads, and yeah already knew the rotation was opposite. I'll be happy with this 351W as long as she can keep pullin'

Don
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2006 at 2:16pm
don, the LS1 would be pretty sweet, but there are a couple of draw backs, one the rotation isn't right for what you need but you could upgrade to the gear reduction tranny and make it work. The second is and I'm not up to date on the LS1 but if it is a steel block with aluminum heads then you really don't want to use it. Boat engine's run much cooler than car engines and with the aluminum head and steel block the expansion rates are different and one expands more than the other and causes sealing problems from what I've seen. Now if it's all aluminum then ship it on over and I'll work out all the bugs and figure out what prop to use. So when you drop that other one into yours you don't have to go through the same learning curve and trial and error that I have too.

To have the weight savings and power that an all AL LS1 has would make a rocket in an older nautique, now If I could get Bill to clue me in on tweeking the underside of the hull we could get that bad boy over 60mph easy.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2006 at 11:00am
Don,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Sounds like you did a fantastic job. I hate to hear when people have issues with their boats. I've been following your thread since day one. I'll be looking for your response after Friday. Nice work. If and when I need help, I'll call on you guys instead of paying labor charges. Good luck, Don and enjoy yourself this weekend.

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2006 at 10:50am
79nautique, I agree. My knowledge has grown tremendously thru this process. This was my first venture into this kind of motor work.

On the carb, I was lucky enough to catch my neighbor outside last night. He seems to be real good with motors ( he has 6 cars corvette, lincoln, 2 rx7s, bmw, another I haven't seen all of them, even the rx7s have LS1 gm motors swapped into them by him). He just moved in to the neighborhood, so I haven't bugged him up until last night. Anyway, he adjusted the carb mixtures and really seemed to dial it in. Then he said we should yank it and drop in an LS1 motor from his garage, he has two extras!

I should get the boat on the water by Friday, I'll post how it goes. I can always do the motor swap

Don
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2006 at 8:34am
well all and all you wheren't that far off you need to change your order a little and it would have saved you some cash.

When faced with engine problems you have to start with the easy stuff first and eleminate them one at a time before you start changing parts out. number 5 & 2 should have been compined and done first. I always do a tune-up at the start of the season, I inspect the cap,rotor ans wires and don't always replace them, especially the wires. But plugs, filters, timing and re-adjust the idle mixture screw and idle are a must. Then you would have wanted to do #3, and used a pressure gauge to test the fuel pump and the last would have been a re-build on the carb instead of replacing it. You get extremely lucky if you can just bolt on a carb and not have to adjust it. To dial in the carb you need a vaccum gauge for the holley's so that you have maximum possible vaccum at idle leaning towards the rich side of the setting or screwed out not in. On the q-jet's or edelbrocks there a lot easier and can be done by ear given some instructions on what to do.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 11:54pm
Don,

Sounds like maybe you got it this time...good luck on the water!
Let us know how the run goes!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 10:46pm
OK here's the dilly. Seems to run super smooth now. I haven't put it on the water yet but it is completely different now.

The problem, I'm not a 100% sure yet. It definitely had something to do with the distributor. I put the new prestolite distributor on with new prestolite electronic conversion on it. Hand-cranked number one to tdc, set firing order, started right up, set timing to 6 btdc @ 650 rpm and it ran super super smooth.

So, the original problem? Not sure, but it has to be one of three things:
1. Bad distributor
2. Bad electronic conversion module
3. The oil pump shaft was not seated into the bottom of the original distributor properly, hence why it bogged when I tightened the distributor set bolt.

Number 3 is what I am leaning towards, because the shaft is what fell out when I tried to replace the new one and when I loosened the bolt on the old distributor it ran better. I am not sure but just wanted to let others know what I went thru.

1st new carb
2nd new fuel/water separator
3rd clean anti-syphon valve
4th new fuel pump
5th new plugs/wires/rotor/cap
6th new distributor with electronic conversion
set timing and all is good..... I hope.

I will take it out on the water in the next day or two and post back.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer to the best of my knowledge. Thanks to all who have helped me get this thing going, I just can't wait to get on the H20.

Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 7:37am
pswann
I bought the 87&up because of the gasket for the wiring. 86 and prior has a round opening and the screw down 87 & up cap has a rectangular slid in gasket.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 8:22pm
Looks like I bought the same nos as you did off ebay. Which one did you go with from skidim and why? I was going to talk to them about this when I figured out I messed up but they were closed. Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 8:02pm
Thanks 79nautique that is the way I was hoping I could do it. I will let you guys know how it goes after I get the electronic ignition from skidim.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 10:54am
Man that's kinda long winded. All you realy have to do is get the #1 cylinder on TDC of the compression stroke, look at what tower the rotor is point to in the cap and that's your #1 plug wire location, know go CCW with the firing order. Every one makes it sound like there is a specific tower on the cap that has to be the #1 tower when in fact any tower works, it's all relative to where the rotor is when installed and that's your starting point.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 9:49am
Sounds like you got it! When you bump the motor over to get to #1 firing position (compression), try not to go past 0 deg as the crank rotates. Then, by hand rotate the crank in the same direction 'til you get to 0. Then do exactly as you stated above. You'll get it! Write back if you have problems. Good luck!
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 7:23am
nuttyskier2002, I have the distributor perfectly seated into the oil pump shaft already. From what you are saying, I need to pull the distributor up and out again? Then get the compression stroke by bumping the motor, then hand rotate the harmonic balancer position to 0 degrees. Try to seat the distibutor with the rotor position noted, this will be where the number one plug starts. Then run the rest of my plug wires per my firing order. Rotate the distributor about 10 degrees clockwise, Start the motor and set the timing to 6 btdc at 650 rpm.

Thanks again for all the help.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 7:01am
Okay, here goes ----- to get your engine at #1 cyl firing position, not only do you have to have the timing mark on the harmonic balancer at 0 deg, but you also have to have both valves closed on that cyl so it's ready to fire. If you don't know if both valves are closed, pull the #1 plug, disable the ignition and hold your finger over the plug hole while someone else bumps the engine over with the starter. Just bumps,...no continuous cranking. When you feel your finger being blown out of the hole,...stop. Then hand crank the engine to 0 deg. This is #1 TDC firing position. Now fit the cap on the distributor and note which position the #1 wire is on the cap. Mark where that position is on the distributor housing then remove the cap. Stab the distributor while rotating the shaft so that the rotor lines up with your mark. The distributor may not go all the way down due to miss-alignment with the oil pump shaft. If this is the case the engine will need to be bumped over to align this shaft. Now bump the engine over to #1 firing position again and check your mark (rotor to mark on distributor). Now turn the distributor clock-wise about 10 deg, install everything and you're pretty much ready. Any questions,...write back.

Former boats:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2006 at 7:41pm
Just waiting for the electronic ignition. Also on some info on top dead center for number one cylinder.

Don
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2006 at 3:59pm
Any progress, Don?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2006 at 3:55pm
OK

I pulled the oil pan, reset the oil pump shaft, seated the distributor properly with the pump shaft.

The nos rh prestolite I ordered was the screw-down cap type, my old was the clip kind. So I couldn't use the old electronic ignition. I am going to order the new ignition from skidim. I was going to just use the points this season but I can't seem to get any spark from the coil after moving the red wire to the opposite side of the resistor (opposite of what it should be with electronic ignition). I guess the reset or breaker could be bad. Instead of fixing that, I am going to get the new electronic ignition for this distributor.

Question: In all of my efforts to reset the oil shaft pin, I have lost the position of the original distributor. I put the big wrench on the crank and rotated it to 0 degrees, noted the position of the rotor, then assumed that would be number one cylinder. Is that correct or do I need to do something else for top dead center at number one cylinder?

All I need to do now is hook up the new electronic ignition on Wednesday (shipping time) and figure out how to get distributor and number one cylinder at a good starting point to them set the timing.

I hope this answers the question of why it was running so bad. I think it will.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 6:22pm
79nautique, That is what I am guessing. It wasn't part of the distributor. So, I need to pull the pan? Do I need to pull the motor to get the pan off? And after I get the pin out of the pan, where does it go?

Thanks for all the help. What does the pin do and why in the hell would it fall thru to the pan so easily?

I am going to forget what a wakeboard is if I don't get this thing straight.

Don
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 11:01am
I'm betting it's the shaft to the oil pump and you need to pull the pan.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 9:06am
Is the pin in this picture what dropped?

pin.pdf

That pin that holds the gear on the old unit? May have something to do with the slop. This is the only pin in the area I can think of.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 7:05am
Wasn't part of the distributor. If you look down the hole where the distributor shaft seats, there was about a 4mm pin that looked as though it would fit into the center of the distributor shaft. That is what dropped loose, not the screwdriver or part of the distributor.

I might be able to fish it out with one of those magnets but I doubt it. I may have to take he oil pan out to do it.

Anyone know what it could be that dropped? It wasn,t part of the new distributor, it was there after I pulled the old one.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 4:57am
The only pin I can think of that you must be talking about is the one that holds the gear onto the distributor shaft. Is this right? Did it fall into the distributor mounting hole? It shouldn't have been anywhere loose enough to just fall out. Was this the new distributor? Or was it the screwdriver that fell? Had to be a very small one. Let us know!

Former boats:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic