Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fine in idle, terrible when in gearSN2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
eyedsn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fine in idle, terrible when in gearSN2001
    Posted: May-07-2006 at 1:46pm
I bought a 1983 sn 2001 in Nov. of last year at MidOhio(Dublin). It was winterized at the time, but I was told it ran fine. Overall the boat and trailer were in good shape.

So, the problem is when I put it in gear it runs like its not getting power. In nuetral it revs great. It starts first turn. Great driveway boat. Problem is I want to use it on the water.

Things I have done to try to fix it are:

1. new plugs twice
2. new fuel filter
3. new fuel pump
4. new carburetor

Changed carb because I thought the problem was that the secondaries were not opening. Wrong.

Changed the fuel pump because it was an easy fix and from some of the thousands of post I have read I thought it may not be getting enough fuel pressure. Wrong.

So, my next guess would be that it could be a coil or distributor problem. It has the electronic ignition conversion and the breaker is bipassed. The thing that gets me is that it revs well when in nuetral.

The shop is backed up and I can do the work myself, but I just am running out of ideas. Is it worth the $400 to change out the distributor? The springs and everything seem ok but I'm no expert.

Please help!

Don
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2006 at 4:38pm
Does it stutter or pop back through the carb when you give it the throttle or is it just low on power? Have you put a timing light on it and checked base timing and advance? What plugs did you install? Heat range? Does your distributor still have points? Are they set correctly? (gap, dwell) How fresh is your fuel in the tank? Reading your post above it sounds like you checked fuel pressure and delivery. Before replacing the distributor or coil you should replace your plug wires and distributor cap. How many hours does the motor have on it? If all of the above are good you may want to start checking the mechanical condition of your engine. Good luck! Write back if you need more help.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2006 at 7:52pm
670 hours
New fuel
new fuel pump
electronic ignition, no points
autolite plugs from skidim
Maybe a little stutter and pop back but more just a loss of power. It doesn't want to do much. I will replace wires and cap. I didn't replace them yet because they looked to be in good condition and motor revs fine in idle.

I also pulled the anti-syphon valve and made sure it was good.

When you say mechanical condition, what do you mean? Compression? It starts easy, runs well in nuetral. Boggs like a dog in gear.

Thank you for your help. I will order parts from skidim as soon as I finish this post.

Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2006 at 7:54pm
Didn't put a timing light on it yet. Not sure how, but I can order a advance timing light. Would the timing cause this issue? I mean, fine in nuetral terrible in gear?
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2006 at 9:09pm

Blocked fuel pickup in the tank? Or collapsed fuel line?

Try blowing compressed air back thru the pickup to clear it

Leads or coil issue?
Try running the boat on the trailer in the dark to see if there is any crossfiring of leads or crossfiring in the coil

Does it get full power when you hit the throttle in the water and gradually lose power?Or does it not respond at all? Is there any difference when it is hot or cold?
When you say you changed plugs are you sure you got the leads back on the right sequence?There is a couple of cylinders you can cross the leads up on, and the motor may still run ok until you put it under load.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2006 at 9:16pm
Your engine needs 3 things in order to run right. (1) The correct fuel/air mixture; (2) adequate spark from the ignition and at the right time; and (3) compression (mechanical soundness of the engine. It sounds like you have verified that your fuel system is good. Just to make sure, you can loosen the fuel line to the carb and check fuel delivery. Disable the ignition and crank the engine over while letting the fuel line feed into a jar or something. You should get about 1/2 pint or so in 15 seconds of cranking time. If you have that with a new carb you should be okay for fuel. Also check that your choke valve is opening fully after the engine is warm.

Next check for adequate spark. Remove your coil wire from the distributor. Let it rest so the you have a gap of at least 1/2 inch from the engine block. The spark plug gap is only .035" but that is when the spark is under compression. Compression tends to blow a week spark out. So you want to test your ignition to see how strong it is. Thus the 1/2" gap. With ignition system on, crank the engine over. You should get a consistent blue spark from the coil to ground (eng. block). You should also hear a snapping sound as the spark occurs. You can open that gap up and see how "strong" your spark is. HEI systems will shoot a gap across more than 6 inches in open air (no compression). Next is your timing. Get a good timing light (or borrow one) with a variable strobe delay (knob on the back with timing marks). Check your base timing and check timing advance. Retarded timing affects power big time. Overly advanced timing will cause your engine to try to force the pistons down in the opposite direction as they are coming up on the compression stroke (in effect trying to make the engine run backwards and fighting itself). If you need specs on timing, let me know.    

Now,....if all the above has been verified and is good,...it's time to brake out the compression gage. If you've never done a compression test, you'll want to get a little training on this. It's a little more than just screwing the hose/gage into the spark plug hole and cranking the engine over. Let me know if you get this far and need more help.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 7:37am
I will try the fuel pick up line. The line from the tank to the fuel/water separator filter is fine but I didn't check the line inside the tank.

The plug order has been checked and rechecked with the PCM manual. Seems ok.

Cros firing, I'm not sure.

Once in gear, poor power from the get go. It can barely get on plane.

I haven't run it more than 20 min on the water, but it seems the same hot or cold.

nuttyskier2002,

Thanks, again.

The choke is opening fine.

I pulled a plug to check spark and it was very dim. This made me think I might have an electrical problem. I still need to check it at the coil.

I will check the fuel delivery (it should be fine unless the pick up tube is collapsed or clogged. (per 91Nautique, good idea)

I ordered an Equus/Innova 3555 Advance Timing Light iequus last night to check the timing, I will let you know what I find.

Let's hope I don't need the compression gauge.

I have heard so many good thing about the 351W I took everyone's word at MidOhio that it ran well. My bad. It's probably something small.

Things on order from skidim:
New plug wires
New rotor and cap
Alternator (for good measure, want to be able to run stereo)

I will try to check the above things and post back.

Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 8:11am
Recap.

1983 SN 2001 351W with about 670 hours
Ran fine last year according to others

Runs well in nuetral, put it in gear and she wants to die, but doesn't, more just limps up to about 20 mph slowly.

Thought secondaries were not opening so replace with 4160 Holley marine from Carbcareusa.

Thought might be fuel, fuel/water sep, fuel pump, so replaced All New.

Replaced plugs Autolite for 351W from skidim

anti-syphon valve clean, works well

Checked fuel with ignition off, it pumped at least a half pint in 5 seconds.

Check spark at coil (between coil and block), plenty of spark.

So, I need to wait for the new cap, rotor, plug wires from skidim. Also timing light.

Well, I'm off to work. I will check back tonight.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 9:02am
Sounds like your down a few cylinders to run like that, the new cap and rotor aren't a bad idea, if you can borrow a timing light I would check the spark to each cylinder... good advice on here so far... be systematic, rule things out, and you'll be skiing in no time. You have bought more new parts than you need but its fun to have new parts on a new boat anyway...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 10:48am
Advance the base timing significantly and give it a go. Take your timing light, 9/16" wrench and screw driver with you on the water and test it out. If the performance is there when you advanc the base timing, then look for faulty advance mechanism and/or leave the base timing advanced...but not to the point of hard starting and detonation.

This is assuming everything else checks out as listed/mentioned previously.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 2:16pm
Thanks for the comments. I have the timing light on order. I did notice that when I pulled the first plug on observer side it seemed to spark much better than the fourth on the same side. Also some of the plugs look dark after running it. It would make sense that some of the cylinders are getting weak spark.

I will keep ya posted, and hope to ride behind this thing someday

Don
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by eyedsn2001 eyedsn2001 wrote:

Didn't put a timing light on it yet. Not sure how, but I can order a advance timing light. Would the timing cause this issue? I mean, fine in nuetral terrible in gear?

Absolutely, YES!
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 11:20am
Hi Don,

Let me ask a few things, because I experienced the same problem last year.

Can you get a couple of minutes of OK acceleration after initial start up?

When the problem occurs, does it buck like a son of a gun until you get up to higher speed?

Does it want to stall at low RPM's?

You can rev the engine fine out of gear, but as soon as it's in gear it wants to stall?

Does your dipstick pop out of place after running high speed?

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 11:23am
By the way, I bought my Nautique 2001 at Ron's Marine / Mid Ohio. Mine ran fine for the test drive, but then I experienced the same problem as you when I got it home.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 8:33am
Nautque2001,
Acceleration is always poor.
Maybe wants to stall, does a little in gear.
Fine in idle.
In gear you have to give it slow throttle so it doesn't stall.

MidOhio was selling the boat for a customer, so I definitely don't blame them at all.

I should get my parts from skidim today

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 10:48am
OK, it must be something simple. I'm sure you'll get it resolved. Keep us posted and good luck!

Ron's Marine was great to me, and I don't blame them either. It was frustrating driving from Boston to Streetsboro, OH and back to find out I had engine problems @567 hours.

Ken
NautiSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2006 at 6:16pm
I had a similar experience that showed up 1 hour after a carb rebuild. Ran flawlessly up to that point, but upon inspection I found a grasshopper lodged in the check valve. Actually had his legs wrapped around the little ball clogging the line and reducing fuel pressure. Forced me to replace the fuel lines and filter, so it's probably a good thing after all.
NautiSki
1980 Ski Nautique
Troy White
817-266-0711
Grapevine, Texas
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2006 at 10:39am
I am not a mechanic in any way, shape, or form, but any chance it could be the transmission? If it is not performing well, could it create what you are describing.
Brent
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2006 at 3:45pm
Got to watch out for those grasshoppers. They can ruin your weekend!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 12:34pm
UPDATE:

I received my new prestolite cap, rotor, and pcm plug wires.

I checked each spark plug gap to be correct.

I checked and rechecked plug order with plug wires to distributor.

I replaced rotor cap and wires.

Started in the driveway on fake-a-lake and ran so-so in idle. It would rev, but I did seem to notice a hesitation, and motor shake. So, this may have been there all the time. Almost seems like all cylinders are not firing.

Put it in to gear in driveway and it reved just as it did in nuetral.

Took it down to the dock. On the water, under load, it stalled as soon as I put it into gear. I got it restarted. It reved decent in nuetral. Put it into gear and it ran like it wasn't firing all cylinders.

So, here I am.

New plugs
New plug wires
New cap
New rotor
New carb (carbcareusa)
New fuel/water separater
New fuel pump.
New anti-syphon valve.

Good spark at coil.
Plenty of fuel delivery when cranking (ignition disabled to test fuel delivery)
Choke opens when warm fine

I ordered a timing light a week ago. I should receive it Monday or Tuesday.

I am running out of ideas. I hope it is only a timing issue. I just don't understand how it could be fine timing one year and horrible the next? It's a timing chain so it should stay. The makes me feel that the Distributor itself is not advancing. It's like, not all of the plugs are getting sufficient spark. I will post what I find when I check the timing.

I will set to 6 degrees before top dead center and 600 rpm. Then what? Try to manually advance it on the water and see if it runs better? If so, order a new distributor? I can't wait to use the little time off work I have enjoying this boat instead of tinkering on it.

Don
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 1:13pm
You can get pretty close with timing by doing the "by ear" method. On the water while it's in nuetral....Simply advance timming to the point where it starts to ping a little...at that point retard it a bit untill ping disappears.. reset your idle...you can fine tune it later using a light...if it is a timing issue you should see a big diff. If the timing is too retarded, engine will stutter and sometimes cough back through the carb.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 3:10pm
stang72, do I turn the distributor clockwise to advance?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 5:08pm
eyedsn2001,

Just for the heck of it please post the firing order you are using so we can verify it is correct.

Sounds like you're down a couple cylinders and that's what I suspect.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 5:30pm
If I look at the top of the distributor, standing above the ski pylon, Number 1 cylinder would be at about 1 o'clock ( with 12 o'clock being closer to the carb) From there going clockwise would be 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8
The tag on the motor says firing order should be 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3. Am I missing something here? It seems correct just in the reverse order. If I take them couterclockwise it would be 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3, which is what the tag reads, Should this be the other direction???
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 5:59pm
eyedsn2001
If you were to crank the motor with the coil feed wire disconected does it crank over evenly and smooth? Or does it seem to have a "missing" sound--Indicating loss of compresion in one or more cylinders(piston ring or valve problem)

It sounds to me to be retarded timing or crossed over leads

1 confirm your firing order

2 pull no 1 plug lead off the dizzy cap

3 right down firing order and have a freind sit on the other side of the motor and between the two of you slowly go thru the sequence,marking each done wire with a whiteboard marker,until you get back to the empty no 1 position

run thru it again to be sure

When you changed the dizzy to electronic did you bypass the ballast resistor?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 6:06pm
Yes the resistor is bypassed. Firing order is as in above post. Not sure about timing, still waiting for timing light. I've gone over the wires about 50 times.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 6:08pm
Yes...clockwise to advance...the engine will rev higher as you turn.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by eyedsn2001 eyedsn2001 wrote:

If I look at the top of the distributor, standing above the ski pylon, Number 1 cylinder would be at about 1 o'clock ( with 12 o'clock being closer to the carb) From there going clockwise would be 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8
The tag on the motor says firing order should be 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3. Am I missing something here? It seems correct just in the reverse order. If I take them couterclockwise it would be 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3, which is what the tag reads, Should this be the other direction???

Did you pull the distributor when you upgraded to electronic? The firing order 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3 is correct in the counterclockwise direction when viewing it as you described. From memory when I did my conversion I think the #1 should be around 2 O:clock not 1, if you pulled the distributor maybe it went back in one tooth off. If you're a tooth off you wouldn't even be able to see the timing marks when you throw a light on it.

I would pull #1 plug and get the motor to TDC and check to see if the position of the rotor is where you think # 1 is. I just went through this last week, I installed the conversion kit and when starting my engine for the first time I had it 180 out. Took me about an hour of head scratching and my neighbors help but we got it figured out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyedsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 8:37pm
I didn't do the electronic conversion. It was done previous. I can only assume that it ran fine as it is. Number on is at about 1 o'clock. Can I just move each wire clockwise to get it to about 2 o'clock? Would that change anything? I wouldn't think so, but I'm posting because I'm lost anyhow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 8:46pm
I hate to mention this to you, Don, but you have the exact same issues that I had last year. I replaced all the fuel and electrical parts. My timing advance was fine, my timing was perfect. I engine would start fine, idle fine, rev. fine, but as soon as I put it in gear and accelerate it would buck and lose power. My end result was that two of my cylinders were worn and two more were on their way out. I had so much loss of compression that I was only firing well on four good cylinders. The gas was slipping by the rings and mixing with the oil. My dipstick would blow out due to the "blow by". I replaced my engine with a remanufactured engine and that solved everything. Get yourself a compression or leak down test!!

Good Luck,

Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic