Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pylon

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wormwarner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wormwarner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pylon
    Posted: May-08-2006 at 11:15pm
Hello, new to site. I just bought 87 2001 that has some small issues. The first I am trying to tackle is the ski pylon. The current one has been cut off at the top. I am trying to remove it. I loosened the u-bolts and removed the bolt at the bottom of pylon. Still won't budge. I have read other forums on this but not sure if I have removed all that I need to. I have wd40'd the heck out it and tried turning it with a pipe wrench, no luck. Any info would be very helpful
lukeduke95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 12:02am
Just a note, my pylon was aluminum. The base it mounted into was aluminum also. There was a heck of a lot of corrosion in there. My came out, but not without a struggle. Try some of that super penetrating stuff to ease it up a bit.
Jared Johnston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2006 at 7:44pm
Go get your self these items;
1 foot coated cable (1/4 inch or so)
2-2 Cable clamp/U-bolts of appropriate size
a t ton chain fall/hand hoist you can (ebay has them for 30 bucks and they come in VERY handy around a ski boat). I use my two 1 ton chain falls on each lift hook and lift the boat right of the trailer (Works well for painting too).

Take a flashlight and look under the pylon to be sure you have no fasteners left holding the plates or mounts together. If you are positive it is just corrosion, and not other bolts, positin your boat under the chain fall and hook up to the loop.

(oh yeah take the cable, trill a hole, loop through and clamp the cables together with ubolts). Slowly pull the chain fall up, and as soon as you have tension, it will begin to lift out with out a problem. If have forgoten to remove any fastners, this method could damage your floor, so make sure! I've gotten mine stuck too, and I happen to have a good chain fall hook directly above the pylon. Tried it and i wouldn't do it any other way. Too much hassle trying to grapple with anyhow.

I have a loop on my pylon head, so I don't have to drill. But most pylons have something to fasten the thing too if you get clever enough.

ps Chain falls on ebay > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-1-TON-CHAIN-HOIST-ENGINE-HOIST-AUTOMOTIVE-TOOLS-89_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ40022QQitemZ4639244307QQrdZ1QQtcZphoto
A boat is just a hole in the water to toss your money into. Here is mine! http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=865&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980
wormwarner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wormwarner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2006 at 11:13pm
Jared thanks for the knowledge. I will give that a try, sounds like that should do it. Would have never thought of that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic