NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IAughtNaut's Australian Adventure

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
Author
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2015 at 8:32am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

IAughtNaut's reign of terror continues.

I broke Lewy's boat.

I thought that nonsense was over? Maybe its the reverse hemisphere Looks like you got a haircut too.
Js
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2015 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

I thought that nonsense was over? Maybe its the reverse hemisphere Looks like you got a haircut too.
since the last time you saw me I think I've had two. maybe even three

over? you can't stop me, you can only hope to contain me. I didn't have to paddle very far at all
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2015 at 9:10am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

as you can see the weather was terrible and the water was garbage from all the other boats.

I'm back in Brisbane embodying Larry's signature line and not looking forward to pretending to be a grownup tomorrow
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2015 at 9:45am
Yep batteries are his m o
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2015 at 12:21pm

I broke Lewy's boat.

Almost blew Java on the screen after reading that one.....Ya spent a whole weekend in Miss Scarlett and you didn't break her so she she must be one tough Beotch !

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2015 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I broke Lewy's boat.

Almost blew Java on the screen after reading that one.....Ya spent a whole weekend in Miss Scarlett and you didn't break her so she she must be one tough Beotch !

water & background look very familiar in this picture...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2015 at 9:43am
Had a ball with Adam over the weekend. Tried to give him some Aussie education on Cricket not sure if it worked

The World Cup of Cricket (Series) is on in Australia at present..it even includes other countries (England, India, Pakistan, South Africa etc.) in the World Series unlike your World Series

The weather was good and the water conditions were even better.

Anyway before he somehow managed to cause some type of electrical disturbance and take out the battery he did get some footing in...........

He actually asked me to whip him out....the evidence is in the video

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2015 at 11:03am
Great video!
Js
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2015 at 11:26am
Sour looks like it fits nice!

I think if you keep your feet off the water while butt gliding you'll have a much smoother ride...

Lewy, snug up that inside cable. On a dry fit it actually should be tighter than the outside cable. Once under load and flexing the outer cable will quickly catch up. What's up with the tower turnbuckle? Does the boom not rest on the gunnel?

Nice water, wow!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2015 at 11:42am
ok, you had to know a real update from this weekend was coming

Met this guy walking around the city on our way to dinner- he was not impressed.

Then I had my first taste of kangaroo meat. Real good. You don't see it everywhere but I'll be eating another one of those hoppy bastards.

Then it was off to Lewy's place. 6+ hour drive from Brisbane through nothing. Well nothing I could see. I left at 6pm Friday and arrived right at 2am so it was mostly darkness. Didn't see a whole lot of wildlife on the road, but almost hit two foxes.

Woke up Saturday morning and Mark took me on a quick tour of Tamworth

Mark told me we were about an hour from the damn so we loaded up the boat and hit the road. Arrived an hour later at our bivouac for the night, an old sheep farm. Our accommodations? The shearer's quarters. Which is exactly what it sounds like, an old farm house where the sheep shearers used to stay. Really a cool place, the closest thing I can compare it to is a hunting cabin out somewhere in the states...several bunk rooms, modest kitchen and rec area, probably sleeps about 35 or 40. Plus it was on the same property as the "boat ramp"

The boat ramp. I will never complain about my ramp again.

I didn't get the picture at the ramp that I should have, we showed up and there were a group of 6-8 bogans who had set up camp right on the ramp. And when I say camp I of course mean one shelter and a campfire made mostly of pallets one of them had dragged to the water from somewhere. Lewy got real close to starting an altercation but kept his cool, haha.

And then we hit the lake. Talk about a slice of heaven. The dam is super low from a dry year, about 6.5% capacity, which seemed to keep the wallys away. We went up the river from the "ramp" and found this little stretch of pristine flat water. Nobody out there to bother us but several hundred cows grazing on the bank. I didn't know cows could be so critical, but I swear they were talking shlt about my sloppy skiing.

Some pics

4 of us the first day, Me, Mark, his mate Andrew and Andrew's water fearing Filipino girlfriend, or maybe wife. Andrew took a slalom run, then I got in and proved just how rusty a new footer can be after 6 months off. Short line run on the boom to get myself into form and build my confidence. This starts violently...

I went with the tumble because Mark had never pulled me before and I thought I would have a little bit more control. Clearly not the case. At least my body position was lazy and sloppy. For the second run I decided to deepwater on the short line because I was comfortable with Mark's driving and I've spent more time on that. No better at the start. Then I got cocky and remembered something the teen idol said about liking to take a big whip around turns and build up a lot of speed. Wasn't really ready for that, haha

The third run was a little cleaner, just look at that water.

We hit a little pub for dinner and watched some of the cricket world cup. Talk about a confusing game. There may have been beer. And I saw a kangaroo.

Up the next day for a morning set before I had to get on the road that afternoon. Down to the "ramp", boat in, no crank. Battery completely dead. I should have known this was a harbinger of things to come, I ignored it. The fellow who owned the shearer's shed ran us down a jump box and we were on our way.

Little different crew- me, Mark, Andrew, and another couple joined us. I was first, more sloppiness, less video, which is a real shame, because I got distracted thinking about something else before the plant on my second pass and took a real beating. We were hoping Mark's gopro caught it but no such luck. Guess anybody who wants to see me fall has to come skiing in person. I will say this, I was pretty sore Sunday morning, but I've been shaping up for some weeks so I wasn't overly fatigued. My feet, however, felt like they were on FIRE. Never in my life have I burned them up like I did this weekend. Not from taking super long runs, mind you, I think they're just just too tender. I gotta find a way to toughen them up before next month.

Everybody had a turn except for the lone female, who apparently is just learning. We had the boom set up already so she hopped out to give it a go. Ain't that always when the boat dies? No power. No battery. I grabbed a paddle. We were probably 5K away from the ramp. I broke it so I was going to paddle it.

Mark got it running, so we puttered over around the first corner from the ramp and endeavored to get our willing newbie on her feet. She did pretty well, had about 4 tries, then the boat shut off again. Right about now it was close to 1pm so we decided it was safest to try to squeeze a little more charge out of the jump box and limp back to the ramp. We got there ok, loaded up and took off.

Back to the Lewy homestead to unload the boat, grab a quick shower, and hit the road. Was back in Brisbane by 10pm where I crashed the fck out. Most of the drive home was in the rain, but from what I saw, the darkness on the way down obscured some really spectacular country. No pics of that either, cause I can barely manage to keep that backwards car on the correct side of the road without fumbling with a camera.

I can't thank Mark enough for his hospitality and for showing this yank a great time. Cheers mate! See you in a few weeks!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2015 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Sour looks like it fits nice!

I think if you keep your feet off the water while butt gliding you'll have a much smoother ride...

Lewy, snug up that inside cable. On a dry fit it actually should be tighter than the outside cable. Once under load and flexing the outer cable will quickly catch up. What's up with the tower turnbuckle? Does the boom not rest on the gunnel?

Nice water, wow!

Maybe even a little better than my other one. The arms and neck are bigger for sure. Funny thing was, it got delivered and had australian labeling on the inside. It definitely started its life here.

Probably right on the butt glide, there was a lot of things about those runs I wasn't happy with. The whole time it felt like I was all over the place. Maybe it was fortunate that the boat broke before I had a chance to botch a few long line runs.

As for the cables, I saw that bend in the videos after the fact, it felt like there was maybe a little give as I was coming up but we went with it.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2015 at 9:25pm

As for the cables, I saw that bend in the videos after the fact, it felt like there was maybe a little give as I was coming up but we went with it.

The wide capture "fish eye" type lens on the Gopro makes the boom bend look far worse than it really is....

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Lewy, snug up that inside cable. On a dry fit it actually should be tighter than the outside cable. Once under load and flexing the outer cable will quickly catch up. What's up with the tower turnbuckle? Does the boom not rest on the gunnel? Nice water, wow!

Hollywood the tower boom setup on the Sport with FCT1 is a "Lewy Redneck special" (Note: Rednecks are Bogans downunder). It is probably the only reason that the tower is still on the boat. The setup is simple and very easy to adjust for height. I noticed recently a steel tube about 1 foot long I use to connect boom was starting to bend. I reinforced it and shortened it about 2" this small change has caused the cable tension to vary.

I have a plan to replace this section with BI boom extension that will also help get the skier away from the early slow speed side spray.
The extension will need to be bored out so it becomes basically a female at both ends.

89 Ski

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 7:18pm
Great Footin but Love the sky, perfect mix of clouds and blue. Looks like you guys had a blast!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 10:38pm
had and will continue to have...I'm coming back for Easter, it's a 4 day holiday weekend here so we're going to go back to the same spot and camp...and if I can do some ebay finagling while I'm home maybe I'll get a set of trick skis over here for Lewy and can pay post some vids of first time aussies on skis with no fins
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 11:09pm
Three weeks in Australia, and he posts pictures of toilets, lizards, and dudes. Apparently doesn't care for hot blond women.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 12:22am
I thinking he doesn't want to share Brian either that or Mark doesn't want some certain Chicago boys showing up----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 6:59am
ok guys, this threads about to take a turn I didn't expect, and I'm looking for some perspective.

I've been offered the chance to relocate here, and I'm very seriously considering it.

here's the deal-
option 1- stay at home and get promoted. I've been offered a management position. I would stay on the Oz project for probably the next 6 months while I transition to management and then pass this customer to somebody else.

option 2- I can pick Brisbane or Melbourne and relocate for a period of 1-2 years. my company is working with a consultant to put together a relo package to account for things like cost of living difference.

you should all get a kick out of this...I told them I wouldn't even consider the relo unless I had my boat. because I don't have a house to deal with or a family to move they're cool with adding extra to ship it over.

one complication- I have to decide by Monday. I've been in Brisbane for 3 weeks but I needed to see Melbourne too so I flew there today, I'll be here until Tuesday basically just discovering the city.

I'm probably 50/50 on the decision, but I can't make up my mind. what do you guys think? what would you do? I'm really looking for perspective here, something I maybe haven't thought of that will resonate with me and push me one way or the other...any insight is appreciated, from the completely profound to the totally ridiculous.

For right now I'm headed downtown to sample the local cuisine...and maybe get some dinner too.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 7:21am
My initial thought was "no way would I do that". Then realized that my own son was stationed in southern Japan for three years with the Marines. We missed seeing him and our daughter in law as often as we used to. Those three years flew by pretty quickly!
That is a tough decision. Hopefully, your company will compensate you for being out of the country, away from family, and away from most of your ski buds.
Your young, single, got new ski buds Down Under.....pretty tempting!
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 7:24am
and hey, Morfoot can come visit by way of his Delta connection!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 7:51am
it's very tempting, plus it doesn't snow here. you did hit a couple important considerations though, I'm young-ish, will be 33 in a month and don't know if I'll ever have a chance like this dropped on my lap again. being single certainly helps
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 7:56am
and another thing...each choice has a little bit of flavor of the other. if I take the promo, I'll still be here 4 or 5 more times this year, so it's not like I'll miss out on the travel piece. if I take the relo I will probably have 3-4 trips home each year, hello sjrr. there's no bad option, it's like choosing a good cocktail or a well made craft beer, I like them both, and I'll be drunk by midnight either way
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 7:59am
The relocate might seem like 1-2 years. But what happens if a Mrs. Australian Iaughtnaught comes around? That 1-2 years will be a lifetime. Good luck convincing her and new inlaws you're coming back here. Not a bad thing to be there forever but I'd put my $ on the fact you won't come back if that happens.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

The relocate might seem like 1-2 years. But what happens if a Mrs. Australian Iaughtnaught comes around? That 1-2 years will be a lifetime. Good luck convincing her and new inlaws you're coming back here. Not a bad thing to be there forever but I'd put my $ on the fact you won't come back if that happens.
I guess I never thought about it that way...given my track record, while possible, that option seems unlikely.

what is likely is white night...Somehow I showed up in this city a day before the biggest party night of the year...game on
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 9:04am
Adam tough decision. I would not let them rush you it is a big decision.

Do you see management as where you want your career to go?

I remember at a similar age being promoted from a technical role I really enjoyed and was good at into management. It took me a couple of years to realize that I did not really want to be a manager and I missed using my technical skills. In comparison to this I had a good buddy with a technical background also who took to management and liked it and really climbed the corporate tree.

So it depends on where you want to take your career path.
I would see that as the most important decision.

Where does the relocation put you after the 1-2 years with the company?

Either way will we catch up more and if posted OS Australia would be top of most peoples lists.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 9:20am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Where does the relocation put you after the 1-2 years with the company?
an excellent question, and one which I can't answer conclusively. short answer is, relocating will only help my position in this company in the future. long answer is, there are a thousand possibilities. everything from my company starts doing a ton of business in Oz,decides to open an office and asks me to run it...all the way down to us never getting another deal and me coming home in a year with them saying, thanks for going, we really thought we would do more business over there.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 9:38am
Adam,
here is my experience: we relocated to the states in 05, Canada in 07, Germany in 08 and back to the states in 2011. the experience you gain on a personal and business level are unbeatable!
We always saw it as a paid adventure and no matter what, it will also help your career.
when you return in a couple of years, you got more to show on your CV than 90% of the folsk competing with you for a better job. I would not be where I'm at now at 37 (37????when did that happen...) without these adventures on my CV. it opens your mind somehow.
if you take the management job, you will look back at this in a couple of years and say dang, there was my chance for an adventure.
however, it is not all fun and games! you will have to find new friends which is easy, but finding good friends that have your back is harder and takes some time (the boat will help with that). and at times it can be lonely.
you have to look at taxes etc and rember, you still have to turn in a tax retunr in the US, so write the coas of a tax guy into your contract, as well as flights home.
pls feel free to reach out to me at any time with questions!
1994 Sport Nautique
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 10:18am
Oh and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
That's a nice spot to be in and speaks to your dedication and skills.

Also if TimBob mans up, he can declare us as his kids towards Delta and we all fly virtually free...

1994 Sport Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 11:00am
Well you are always traveling anyway – Cleveland only rocks a few months out of the year – and they will move your boat over there. The only problem I see is that Jackie just bought a new truck and it seems you would now be in a pretty good position to make him a deal on yours.   If the money is right it would be pretty tough to turn down, just make sure you figure out just it will really cost you to move and live over there. You definitely want to understand the tax liabilities on both sides. I have been piling up the frequent flyer miles lately and just picked up an additional week of vacation per year so make sure you get a big place.     
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 11:44am
I think its a great opportunity and I would seriously consider doing it myself if I were in your shoes especially if they are gonna ship the boat down for you. Cool that your brothers here are giving you sound advice of which to look into. I think they are pretty quick on the trigger for a decision by Mon.

Wonderful opportunity is at hand to live in a country that at least speaks English and to visit other countries so close by that you'd normally be rushed to see if you still lived in the states...Like New Zealand.

One of my local ski buds one and only son relocated to OZ to work for Sea World as a the primary rider in a Jet Ski stunt show. He has been down there for a while and does make the trip back here every so often. He did land him a HOT blonde Aussie lass and just hearing her accent is a turn on alone...He seems to really like it down there. a Mrs. AussieIAughtNaught.....

A 2 year tour of duty may seem like a lifetime but it man the connections you could have and lifetime of memories along with it. You're not a shy guy at all so meeting new friends won't be a problem for you. A Yank with a fairly new AirNautique down there won't hurt your chances in making new ski buds. We'll still be here 2 years now if you come back and yeah guess I'll really have to Drag my arse down there and have a first Oz Mini. Didn't we all just went thru this a year or so ago when you were considering a move to California and Texas(?)

You know Mom ain't gonna like this one bit, and Dad will support you in it. So there is really only one question left to ask......If you leave, can I have your room?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 12:04pm
I don't think you could find a much better place to go,they at least put up with us Americans right? I have a relative who moved his whole family to the UK for a couple of years and really enjoyed it,but it is closer to home. I think it's not so much up to you but what would the average Aussie want,after all since you have been there they had two Cyclones at once,coincidence? If you do end up going and shipping the boat you had better pack another windshield for a 98 Sport
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
  Share Topic