NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Helpful Gelcoat Repair Info

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helpful Gelcoat Repair Info
    Posted: May-09-2006 at 4:43pm
The restoration place that's repairing some minor dings on my boat got Correct Craft factory matched paint. See the link below.

Correct Craft Gelcoat Repair
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 4:47pm
good info,

but what if your boat's older than a 1990?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 5:25pm
you're screwed
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 5:29pm
I guess I should explain, I got gelcoat direct from Correct craft to match my 81 cream colored hull. Not even close.

Then went to Minicraft and gave them my hull id number, they said no problem. When the gelcoat hadn't arrived 2 weeks later i called and they said they could not get the color info from correct craft.

The only option left was to supply them with a quarter size piece of my boat's gelcoat so they could scan and custom mix for $60 charge. I just ran out of patience by that time and will start the process over again in the fall. I will probably cut a sample out from under my coaming pads, don't know what else to do
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 1:45am
There are kits available to blend the gel coat to match the hull yourself. Hint: girls are better at matching colors than guys.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 7:59am
Jimbo,

Tried one of those too, Depending on the color you are trying to match it's hit or miss. Oddly enough an offwhite color is pretty hard to match because the amount of pigment required is minute. Just the slight bit too much pigment and you're way off. By the time I was done I had enough gel to build a new boat and it still didn't match. And I spent about $30 on the kit so that was half of the cost to get it matched proffesionaly so that's what I'll do in the fall.

Ps. Nautique2001, thanks for the info in the original post, didn't mean to be bashing it, worked 18 hours yesterday and I may have been a little cranky.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 9:17am
It is very good info, but even with the older hulls the gel is going to fade and change color just enough that even if you used the same batch as the orginal it still wouldn't look the same. I was going to go the 60 buck custom match route, in the long run it's worth it.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 9:26am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I guess I should explain, I got gelcoat direct from Correct craft to match my 81 cream colored hull. Not even close.

<snip>

Well, I had excellent results using gelcoat ordered through CC dealer (silver cloud and electric blue). I am curious to know if you actually attempted a repair with the CC gelcoat, or just opened the can a took a look.

Two things to consider:
1. The surface of your original gelcoat has been faded by the sun. The new CC gelcoat is the original color when your boat was new. Sand a spot around the repair to be made, polish it out and then compare the colors again. The spot will fade again in a year or so.
2. Trying to compare a blob of uncured gelcoat to shiny cured gelcoat is diffilcult. When comparing colors, make sure you smear the uncured gelcoat into a large circle about the size of a silver dollar and get it as flat as you can so it reflects and picks up light just as the cured gel does.

I agree, trying to make your own matched color is darn near impossible...I can't do it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 10:39am
The restoration place that currently has my boat called Correct Craft Inc. directly. CC gave them the paint mix code for my gray hull and navy blue stripe (1986). Spectrum in Washington State duplicated my colors. Yes, it might be slightly off because of fading. The marine restoration place will do their best to blend the colors. Also, they duplicated my Ski Nautique graphics without any problems. I had a scratch in the Q and U. They replaced all the letters on both side for $300. I'll take pictures when I get it back.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 11:17am
Dave,

I did several repairs along the chines with the gelcoat from CC and was not a good match for a repair that is in eyesight although good enough for that part of the boat since you only see it when it's on the trailer.

I mixed up a batch that I though was pretty darn good and even smeared some on the boat the check it. After it set and I sanded in down and polished it was worse than CC's match. So I'm not pointing fingers, it's just hard to do especially since I'm sort of particular about my boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 11:37am
The most major touch-up that I'm having done is the front of the hull where the previous owner drove up on the sand. It was scratched and part of the under-coat was exposed. When it's in the water, that part really isn't seen. I had other minor touch-ups including a chip on the top deck, three little cracks in the gelcoat and one through the Q and U on the side. I didn't want the cracks to grow on me to make "spider webs". I didn't want to do the work myself for fear I'd make it worse. I put my boat in the hands of a professional gelcoat repair company.

Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic