Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine’s not getting fuel.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine’s not getting fuel.
    Posted: May-09-2006 at 8:38pm
Had the boat out for 3 days this weekend and it ran great until Sunday when it just stopped running. I'd just filled it up 30 min. before hand so I had plenty of gas. We pulled the hose off of the fuel filter and let it dump into a water bottle that we'd cut the top out of. There were some black specs in it but it didn't seem that there were enough to clog a filter although inside it may have been another story. The line out of my pump is pliable. The main fuel line going into the pump looks to be about 7/8" OD and has fairly thick walls. It is not pliable. It's pretty hard. Is this normal? Do the thick walls make it hard or is it time to replace this line? Do the black specs mean the line is breaking down? I'm trying to figure it out before Friday. Any help would REALLY be appreciated. Thanks.
Tate
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 9:03pm
Did you pull the inlet or outlet hose from the filter? I would guess if the boat has been sitting for awhile you may have transported varnish from the tank/fuel lines to the filter. I'd start by changing out the fuel filter first. I'd try flushing the fuel line through a cloth to see if the debris is coming from the fuel line. You didn't say...is the fuel pump electric or block mounted mechanical fuel pump?
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 10:03pm
I pulled the inlet hose. The pump is electric. If I flush the filter through a cloth, how much is too much (or is any too much)? Is the line supposed to be that rigid?
Tate
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 10:18pm
I'd pull the outlet side and verify that the pump is moving fuel. There is a tight screen on the suction side of the fuel pump. If your getting debris, I'd bet that the screen is plugged and the pump is starved for fuel. If it is, pull the pump and clean the suction screen. That would explain why it ran fine and then quit. I bet it started as a loss of power at WOT and degraded to the point where it wouldn't run.

I don't know about your fuel hose hardness. It could be that it's breaking down and putting debris in the pump suction..good luck,

RB
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 11:12pm
Tate,
If you take the fuel line and bend it does it crack? If so, replace it even if it's not your current problem. Pretty inexpensive from skidim.

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 9:15am
The marine spec rubber fuel line is very thick walled and fairly rigid. It should bend ok, but not hardly give at all when trying to squeze it. Aviation fuel line is basically the same thing (Aeroquip).
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 11:11am
I have the exact symptoms that Atmspltr described on my 82. I took off the bulb to the water seperator and it was full of water that smelled like gas. My thought is that I probably got water in my gas tank some how. I am thinking tonight that I am going to try to drain the gas.
Is there anything else that I should do other than just put fresh gas in it after I drain all of the old out and check the screen on the fuel pump?
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 1:41pm
FWIW, I had a similar problem many years ago soon after buying a 77SN w/351, boat was 10yrs old w/300hrs, ran great up to 32mph then it would sputter like it was starving for gas. I replaced filter, no help, Dealer replaced fuel pump, no help, rebuilt carb, no help. I started checking all the lines myself, removed the brass fitting at the top of the fuel tank, looked like anti-siphon or something, anyways it was clogged up bad, cleaned it out and never had another fuel problem again.

Good Luck
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 2:28pm
I'd remove the hose from the "out" side of the fuel pump or from the carb and crank the engine a few times to see how much fuel comes out (catch the fuel in something).
If there's flow, I'd suspect the gas you put in 30 min earlier. Maybe it had water in it? Maybe it was Diesel Fuel
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2006 at 11:41am
All of above. Does your boat have the screen filter at the carb? I'd check that also.

FWIW, on our older family boat we had a similar problem with the boat running and then shutting off. You didn't mention if it cranked up again or not. If after some elasped time it started back up and ran, I'd say you have the same problem we did. Replacing the fuel line solved the problem.
Apparently after running at a constant speed the line would collapse and shut off the flow. After the boat sat a while it would crank and go. The warmer it was, the more frequent it would happen.

As jimbo mentioned bad gas could definitely cause the problem as well.

Just my .02
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2006 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by duffnit duffnit wrote:

All of above. Does your boat have the screen filter at the carb? I'd check that also.

FWIW, on our older family boat we had a similar problem with the boat running and then shutting off. You didn't mention if it cranked up again or not. If after some elasped time it started back up and ran, I'd say you have the same problem we did. Replacing the fuel line solved the problem.
Apparently after running at a constant speed the line would collapse and shut off the flow. After the boat sat a while it would crank and go. The warmer it was, the more frequent it would happen.

As jimbo mentioned bad gas could definitely cause the problem as well.

Just my .02

Maybe that's what is wrong with my boat! I have been chasing this problem for two years. It will run fine at a constant speed for about 30-45 minutes and then it will sputter and die. After cooling off for a few minutes, then it will crank up and go for about 5 minutes and repeat for the rest of the day every 5 minutes.
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic