Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Impeller lubricant?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impeller lubricant?
    Posted: February-06-2015 at 9:00pm
I'm installing new impellers in Sherwood sea water pumps of both my CC boats. In the past, I've used vaseline as a lubricant. A "how to" MerCruiser video recommends wheel bearing grease and, I've seen dish washer detergent recommended. Anyone have a better idea?
Thanks,
-=Grant=-
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 9:11pm
I think the lubircant just gets the impeller in. After that, the water washes the petroleum away and becomes the lubricant. Use whatever works/is available that won't break the rubber down.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 10:03pm
I have used water when I had to replace one while I was out and have also used a little Dawn when I have done them at home.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 10:21pm
I have never used anything!
Wayne is correct.
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

I think the lubircant just gets the impeller in. After that, the water washes the petroleum away and becomes the lubricant.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2015 at 5:20pm
Pete, how do remember that, you haven't changed one in 14 years.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2015 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Pete, how do remember that, you haven't changed one in 14 years.

Impellers:
One when I bought the X55 then again 3 years ago (14 years). One 2 years ago on the Tique. One when I bought the Atom and then again about 5 years ago. 3 friends boats within 2 years. Several through the years at boat shows when people encountered problems. Too many to keep track of when I worked at Watercraft Sales. When you have changed a few, you have the tendency to remember the procedure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2015 at 6:29pm
Spit on it
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2015 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Spit on it

Spit shouldn't break the rubber down...
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 11:41am
I received this note in my inbox, but don't find it here:
Forum: Common Questions
Topic: Impeller lubricant?
Posted By: Donald80SN

I also do not use anything, but be careful using Sherwood impellers. About five years ago, one of out CCFANers installed a new Sherwood impeller at the St. John's River Run and his boat ran hot all weekend. It was not until Art C. pulled out a OEM impeller did his overheating issues go away. The impellers did not look any different to the naked eye, but they were indeed different size (Tolerance) and it was enough to have this guy chase his tail for many hours instead of enjoying the river with the other folks. I only use PCM impellers in my PCM engine.
JMO,
Donald
Anyway, I find this of great interest because 1) both my CC boats were purchased used, yet both have Sherwood pumps -- and I assumed they were original equipment. Do you suspect they are not? and, 2) we intend to take the newly acquired '77 on the St. John's Cruise and I was replacing the impeller in an attempt to avoid the problems Donald described above.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 11:45am
PS -- the new impellers I have are in packages labeled "Sherwood." They are marked "09959K" (where K=kit)
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 11:50am
Donald was wrong in his post referenced above. I believe Marty had an issue with a non-original impeller made/branded by Sierra. Sherwood is the factory pump and impeller manufacturer. PCM rebrands the Sherwood and is also a safe bet.

I have never used lubricant when installing an impeller and always get long life out of them. Spit or a little bit of water might make install a little easier but dry is fine too.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 12:22pm
Tim is right,Marty was using the ones he got thru Carquest. The Sherwoods ones have a little raised edge on both ends of the impeller,Marty's did not and therefore must have been too narrow and would not create a suction.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 12:29pm
Correct on the Sierra.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 12:30pm
I typed that response last night and as soon as I posted it I released that he was speaking about SHERWOOD and not Sierra I deleted the post.    I self corrected my mistake, I thought.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 12:32pm
I have been waiting on Quinners recommendation on this question
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I have been waiting on Quinners recommendation on this question

Quinner rolls them in flour and looks for the wet spot.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 1:17pm
I once tried a Sierra impeller, it didn't even make an entire season.
They are much softer and have sort of a grainy feel. Sierra point sets are also junk.

I always use either vaseline or binding slime (dish soap) for installing impellers.   Wheel bearing grease could clog-up your trans cooler.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

Use whatever works/is available that won't break the rubber down.

I am guessing Quinners go to would be K-Y.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 1:22pm
I've installed the last 2 of mine dry as well. Didn't see any need for lube as they went in very easily. Maybe my pump is a whore and not as tight as lower hour pumps.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 1:25pm
Truthfull ky would be a good lubricant, so would binding slime. While no lubricant is really needed sometimes people get excited and dry start thier boats on the trailer and a little lube doesn't hurt. On the less self inflicted side if you have a slight air leak or blockage and the system doesn't prime right away having lubed the impeller will keep you from smoking it before you figure out the source of your troubles. Anything that doesnt soften the rubber certainly wont due more harm than good.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Truthfull ky would be a good lubricant, so would binding slime. While no lubricant is really needed sometimes people get excited and dry start thier boats on the trailer and a little lube doesn't hurt. On the less self inflicted side if you have a slight air leak or blockage and the system doesn't prime right away having lubed the impeller will keep you from smoking it before you figure out the source of your troubles. Anything that doesnt soften the rubber certainly wont due more harm than good.

That sounds good. I use Vaseline.
Js
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 12:39am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Spit on it

LMAO

1999 Ski Nautique 196
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 3:47am
I worked for a rubber company for 10 years 1980 to 1990, any petroleum based product will help rot the rubber. Personally I want the new impeller to last so I don't use petroleum based product on the rubber impeller.
Putting them in dry is a lot of extra effort for no gain.
I use Dawn dish soap in a strong mix with water. Makes it slippery for install with no danger to any parts or the rubber impeller blades.
I also laughed at the SPIT comment but it would work well if you work fast. The soap will evaporate slower and give you more time to get the impeller installed. I imagine any dish soap would work but I have Dawn on hand so that is what I use. My Slime in the boat for getting feet into tight ski boots is the same mix, helps with the install with no aging of the ski boots.
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 11:26am
Mark, thanks for the excellent info. I wondered about the "grease" recommendation by MerCruiser. I had settled on petroleum jelly (Vaselene) but will use Dawn or similar dish water soap instead. I've seen ads for impellers that will run "15 minutes dry" and wonder if they are rubber.

Here is the impeller being replaced (on left) and the new one (on right.)
Note the difference in thickness of blades.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 12:06pm
The one on the left is not oem. The oem one on the right has the ridges on the edge. The run dry ones are made of some sort of plastic material which if were any good I'm sure Sherwood would use.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 5:10pm
I have only worked on PCM Marine and Mercury Marine V-8's with the raw water pumps. Every used impeller I ever pulled out had the blades rolled over in a set like the left photo above. I think they just acquire a set over time.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I worked for a rubber company for 10 years 1980 to 1990, any petroleum based product will help rot the rubber.

MrMcD, how about ski bindings and drysuit seals, also rubber based in many cases, what would be the ideal lube solution for those?? I was under the impression dishwashing liquid was bad for rubber and the best/safest solution for binding lube is laundry detergent mixed 1:3 with water?? Obviously now I am wondering if the dawn being bad was mis-information?? And if the laundry detergent is a safe alternative??
Thanks
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 5:39pm
I am certainly learning a lot about impellers. A good thing, methinks. Here are two pumps I'm "restoring" as this topic is being discussed.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 5:48pm
Here's one where we waited a bit too long:

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 5:56pm
I wonder . . .
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic