NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

buckethead 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 10>
Author
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 10:54am
Adam, not your event, sorry ;-)
see rule 8! no butt riding
1994 Sport Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 10:55am
Tim I'll volunteer my boat and/or be the permanent driver.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 11:26am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Tim I'll volunteer my boat and/or be the permanent driver.

Unless he has done blowed it up by then there is only one acceptable boat for Tim to be on during that race - if you aren't going to pull out the worlds fastest barefoot nautique in this situation then you must sign over it's title to someone worthy. It's in the rules.

I would be all about this here event. Doubtful anyone would take a chance on my meager footing skills – but I make a decent designated drinker.

It is only across the state from Jeff Swedish I’ll peg him and see if he has any interest in putting together a team behind his small block excel..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 12:10pm
Joe
In an earlier post Tim mentioned bringing his but not using it in the race.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 12:12pm
That was before he was made aware of the rules, I am sure he will come around.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 12:25pm
No doubt a 408w 2001 would allow us to compete on speed Paul! Thanks for the offer. Based on the other boats competing, and the stories I've heard of the water conditions at the start, I'm thinking a BFN is probably the way to go, just for the sake of survival . I'm not sure we'd be contenders though, and unless we had some guys that could foot real fast, I might trade some speed for comfort (like a '88 bfn with a delux interior coming out of Maine?). If we get the '79 dialed in a bit like we plan to do this spring, maybe I'll change my mind. I'd like to bring it for the cruising and fun runs afterwards either way.

I know Zach had some buddies who were interested... Perhaps there would be enough bodies to have 2 teams? Might make the race for last place competitive.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 12:28pm
That's what I told him Joe! If there ever were a boat for an event that is the one. I can put a few rope set ups together down here since we have quite a few veterans in our area.

We do an early race at a local res so I could pre test the rope set ups to make sure they were ready to go.

If I am on a team my buddy Tom is an attachment with me since hes my most reliable ski buddy and can foot for really long distances at high speeds. I would be fine with using my boat but the 351 would probably need to WOT the whole race to keep up with anyone.

No question I want to actually do it this year. I think there were 2-3 spots open this last year. Also, the Sunday Funday race I guess is pretty fun and not competitive for anyone who doesn't want to run the big one.

I mean, we have some good foot talent here and plenty of worthy boats I think we could honestly compete really well.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 12:33pm
Timmy's boat + NC barefoot Eddie = just give them the trophy now
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I know Zach had some buddies who were interested... Perhaps there would be enough bodies to have 2 teams? Might make the race for last place competitive.

I am thinking the same thing (but not about last place). All it boils down to is a couple excellent drivers to make good pickup turns and people who can throw down good 2-4 miles runs a couple times.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Timmy's boat + NC barefoot Eddie = just give them the trophy now

We're all fighting for 2nd.   
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 12:46pm
Eddie is retired, but I was thinking maybe he could be convinced to join a Jeff Swedish, Nautique John, Krazy Kurtis, etc masters division type team if I was drawing up score cards I would also throw them Greg and Scott Monahan and put them in the Swedish excel, or behind one of eddies boats.

Line em up against Tim, Brad, Kevin, Johhny, Zach and Tom in the 79 and it'll make for some good spectatoring
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 12:47pm

Might make the race for last place competitive.

Last place is always competitive. Usually around the 2 hour mark. Once we had to send a search boat. We thought a team might have broke down, or made a wrong turn. Most everyone stays at the finish line until the last team finishes. Which reminds me; bringing a cooler in your boat is allowed (and recommended, for an observers seat ). Some of us bring extra boats, to carry extra coolers, oh, and spectators.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 12:48pm
Any healthy big block and BFN should do it. None of us here ski fast anyway. Just need to get to normal skiing speeds with a full boat load.

If you did want to ski faster though just lengthen the rope. What's the sweet spot most guys run. 100' ?

I don't think I'd want ZERO stretch rope either. Low stretch HDPE/HDTE would be more comfortable, a little give instead of getting your arms yanked out on every roller.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:00pm
I agree, speed only helps if you foot fast in general- except for the last hundred yard dash to the finish line (aka Monahan special).

I like Joe's list of characters, but don't forget DHart.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Any healthy big block and BFN should do it. None of us here ski fast anyway. Just need to get to normal skiing speeds with a full boat load.

No doubt you are right.. but rules are rules and Tim has been talking about getting that thing dialed in for two years now..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:11pm

I like Joe's list of characters, but don't forget DHart.

I didn't forget him.... I was thinking I might need him to make sure the motley crew of leftovers that end up on the 3rd ccfan boat has someone young enough and in shape enough to eventually cross the line.

Seriously though… wouldn’t want to leave anyone out there are plenty of other unmentioned footers that frequent this site that would be a great edition to any team.   I just wanted to point out that there could pretty quickly be 2+ boats that could be made up…

and that because there are definitely some ringers at the top of this event while I wouldn’t say they would be competing for last place it would be more fun if they were at least competing with each other.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:14pm
is there a boom division
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:17pm
Ha, got it. I want him on my team though, he's probably got more distance footing practice than the rest of us combined. I agree we could put together a 3rd team pretty easily, especially if the Swedish crew you mentioned shows up.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:19pm
Yea but only double boom. Looks like we need BBBB2
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:23pm
All good stuff here. Most use 100' that I know of. We have tried different and didn't notice much difference. There are a few guys that can handle the speed. Topgun is building a boat and expect it to be fast and they can ski fast. Like I read good runs and good transitions are the key. We are a middle of the pack finsihing team. We have a couple 4 mile footers and a couple 2 mile footers. Always a fun race.
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:29pm
Patrick, can you change the title of this thread to something more appropriate (buckethead 2015 ?)?
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:31pm
So one of the guys on Team Top Gun (Heath Cooper) I know pretty well says they train a couple of times a week @ 50 to 55 mph. Said that most on the team were good for ~7 + miles at a time.

If I am not mistaken Mark Donahue (not with Top Gun) did one leg (I think it was this race) complete. I have skied a couple of tournaments that Mark was at (super nice guy) and part of his training is that his jogging / runs are barefoot to help toughen up his feet. Sounds like a good way to tear them up but no doubt it seems to be working for him.

In addition to the conditioning another item to practice frequently would be the "hot pickup" of a down skier.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:35pm
I know Mark. He's been to some of our local stuff. Trains hard, takes it serious, and skis really well.
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

So one of the guys on Team Top Gun (Heath Cooper) I know pretty well says they train a couple of times a week @ 50 to 55 mph. Said that most on the team were good for ~7 + miles at a time.

Yikes... training starts today. What boat are they running at 55?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:43pm
They are building an inboard ski pro supposedly.
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:44pm
Yes a few years baCk he did 29 of the 38 in 2 runs. their team is always tough. Last year Marc didn't make the race.
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:47pm
Tim done we must also work on some pictures for my 2016 BFN Calendars
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:50pm
Does that mean I should clean my hull off? Maybe Dave should pull after all.
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:54pm
Zach that boat is on the back burner. One of the guys bought a early Sanger one of there faster hulls and they have put a 2015 pcm 409 in it. We had a boat 2 years ago that was James Braggs and its a 99 196 ski with a hopped up 502. Runs in the 60's but no one could really ski it that fast. In a practice I got to 54 and about the only thing I could keep in was my heals. You beat have flat water at them speeds. I have only heard the top speed in the race has been 47 and thats the year the course record was set and Marc did the 29 mailes in 2 runs and the other 3 did the 9 combined.
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 1:55pm
Nope it will be fine
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 10>
  Share Topic