NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

buckethead 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 10>
Author
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 2:06pm
If I am not mistaken the Sanger was an OB that they are turning into an inboard

I think they used a ski -pro and Heaths Brendella (both FAR from stock)
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 2:07pm
If I get much above 45 its just my heals ha. Woof 1 pulled me and another guy GPS 48 mph last summer on a 40 degree morning.

the trick prop on Woof takes it from about 47 top speed to 51. Luckily when we had it rebuilt the prop guy realized it was way out of spec so he left it how it was and balanced it. We didn't know why the boat was so much slower until we put the rebuild prop back on ha.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 2:27pm
Long pulls and fast turns/pick ups beat top speed every time from what I understand.
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 2:28pm
Skipro was an I/O converted to Inboard and the Sanger is and Inboard just
New engine and trans.
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 2:54pm
I haven't seen any bucket head stats but I have read some Austin TX dam to dam stats. 19 mile race. In 2011 winner did it in 21.55. That's an average of 54+ mph. Factor in 3 or 4 transitions between skiers and the average goes even higher. A guy in MA that I went skiing with a couple times got on a team for the dam 2 dam. There's a video of their effort on youtube. First man did almost 7 minutes. After that the legs were pretty short. They came in last. A sloppy transition resulted in a rope in the prop and a 12 delay.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 3:00pm
Those gotta be ski pros or big outboards to be averaging 54mph including transitions. There just aren't that many inboards around capable of those types of speeds. Patrick mentioned above that the buckethead record was 47mph and that's moving pretty good considering all the stops. Not sure if it counted the mandatory 5min refuel stop. I would imagine the more successful teams foot fast and each footer goes pretty far/long. If you can't do both I'd guess the latter would be more advantageous.
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 3:03pm
Think the buckethead record is like 53.? Mins including the gas stop. It you don't take the gas stop it's 5mins plus a penalty so take the stop
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 3:03pm
Outboards don't sound cool. Doesn't interest me in the least.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 3:03pm
The amount of transitions is really the time killer.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 3:27pm
The thing that's the biggest killer is when a footer is trying to deep up in 2-3' waves. Blown starts increase race times huge. When I miss a start, our team looses out on my normal 1/4 mile run.

BTW, this race offers some great photo vantage points.

Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 4:05pm
Yea it does!
northcoastidol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastidol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2015 at 12:10am
Thanks! Joe and Tim for the team mention, I'm sure I could throw down a few mile runs before the last hundred yard dash
Always be ready for a run, the water does not wait for you!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 10:06am
These guys usually finish top two.

Buckethead Vette
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 11:29am
Boy those guys need a couple lessons in team work, don't they. But those races sure look like they would be fun. Sadly, I am guessing there are not too many 60 year olds in it (exception-LKN Eddie) my endurance is not what it used to be, but my biggest problem is hot foot. I can't even make it around our little lake. In the winter when I have my booties on, it's not a problem. I am guessing that wouldn't be allowed in an endurance race.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 2:03pm
No booties haha.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 4:34pm
Pretty sure the key is the transition, In out and the two handled sliding rope, well that and the longer you can ride obviously the better. Fewer transitions is the obvious way to keep it fast.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 4:40pm
I watched a couple videos after the one Zach posted, the sliding rope is slick as shlt

and no chubbers on the team if you plan to sling them over the side of the boat at the end of the run
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 6:17pm
So this thread sent me on a random google search just out of curiosity and I found this mentioned a few times:

The guy with the big block 700 hp Air Nautique said he used at least 40 gallons last year

Dooo what?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 6:20pm
The owner is a member here. "87BFN owner"
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 6:46pm
That engine is now in a 196 ski and is much better on gas. He didn't run in the race last year. I bought his BFN and used 22 gals for the race last year.
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The owner is a member here. "87BFN owner"

That would be James. They had to put 15 gallons of fuel in that boat during the race. 10 of those gallons were put in at 45 mph.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 7:02pm
Lol at mid race refueling.

The Air and the 196 that ended up with the motor must be beasts.

The whole race sounds pretty cool.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 7:04pm
I thought it was a race to see who can barefoot down and back the fastest, not who can burn the most fuel?
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 7:27pm
The air is back to a stock 502 and the hopped 502 is in the ski and it runs 60+ kinda scary boat lol but some of us are just 45mph footers lol
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 7:38pm
Thought I read in the rules that refueling on the fly was prohibited
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 7:42pm
It is but I think that rule came because of that happening.
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

BTW, this race offers some great photo vantage points.

Steve, That picture is Awesome! Do you have a poster of it hanging in your office yet?

I'm hoping to take some more this year!

I plan on bringing the BFN over for Sunday Funday! Hoping to get some bridge shots of mine then.

Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 9:13pm
Thinking about seeing if we could get a handful of boats together around July 18 for like a pre-buckethead fun race? How many might be interested?
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 9:45pm
That's the weekend after GL, FYI.
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 10:11pm
We could do July 25? That's the problem there is always something going lol. I was just thinking a fun race. No entry fee but maybe a few bucks for some food and drinks. Bring a boat and team. Race down and back, first back wins. Send out for pizza or subway or something to eat and drink and hang out and play on the water afterwards.
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 10>
  Share Topic