Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone ever painted 76' Ski Nautique graphics??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone ever painted 76' Ski Nautique graphics??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone ever painted 76' Ski Nautique graphics??
    Posted: February-21-2015 at 8:11am
Thinking about how I am going to do that graphics on my 76' Ski Nautique. Originally, I was going to install vinyl decals but got to thinking I'd like something a little more durable, such as painting the graphics on.

Does anyone know where I could find the file to make stencil of the original "Ski Nautique" and "Correct Craft Competition Ski Boat" for the stern?

Has anyone done this? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 8:19am
Steve,
There are several threads on graphic restoration (painting). I suggest tracing the lettering and taping the strips. Take the tracing to a sign shop where they do vinyl. They can scan the tracing, clean it up on theair computer and cut a paint mask. A common brand of mask is Gerber. The paint CC used was Rust-o-leum and I suggest the same.

It's great to hear you want to go original with the paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 9:35am
Search for the 2 threads created by "77 Nautique", Jeff walked us through the full graphic repaint process on his boat, came out beautifully.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 9:50am
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14167

Hopefully that's ^^^ the right "link". Jeff makes it look almost easy painting the graphics. In fact, id bet painting is probably easier than vinyl and probably cheaper. The PO on my boat did vinyl. It's surprisingly durable and 8+ years later still look brand new and from 5' away, you can't tell. But the paint with the shadowing always looks better and is correct.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 9:50am
Here's one of Jeff's threads
Tim,
Thanks for reminding me who did it!!
Steve,
I forgot to mention that there isn't a file for the hull side graphics. There is one for the transom in the ref section if it matches your existing. I had it made for my 77 when I had to re gel the transom due to bad ghosting from the PO naming the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 10:05am
I and others have mentioned Rust-O-leum for graphics. Has anyone tried using it lately? I bought a quart the other day to paint my metal doors in prep for the house sale. The EPA has once again f***** things up with the new VOC compliant formula. Poor coverage needing two coats even over the same color and it was a real bitch maintaining a wet edge. I did my front door which is a different color so bought another can of Rust-O-leum but added about 15% Penetrol. It solved the wet edge issue but the coverage was still a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 1:34pm
Thanks for the info guys. I will do some more digging using the links you guys provided. My boat had been painted some years ago and was in horrible shape when I purchased. I am in the process of repairing all of the stress cracks, fairing in prep for primer. Unfortunately, not all of the old paint lines are showing through the 180 grit sanding I've done on the boat. That is why I was hoping to find a file with the original font (picture I posted above). Otherwise, I will use the 80's graphic file. If anyone has a way for me to find the original font it would be greatly appreciated.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by sberard5 sberard5 wrote:

I was hoping to find a file with the original font (picture I posted above). If anyone has a way for me to find the original font it would be greatly appreciated.

This just came up in another thread. Do some searching and reading. The info is interesting.

There isn't a standard font.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 7:56pm
Well, checked out the link and pictures of Jeff's work. He did an amazing job. He's very talented. I would have no problems painting them on problem is I don't have anything really to trace. Any ideas?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 8:14pm
???? Is that not your boat above? Looks like a perfect start for tracing. Am I missing something?
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 1:42am
Originally posted by sberard5 sberard5 wrote:

Unfortunately, not all of the old paint lines are showing through the 180 grit sanding I've done on the boat. That is why I was hoping to find a file with the original font (picture I posted above).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 9:49am
Steve,
Look for members close to you and ask if you could trace their graphics. I'm sure within the CCfan family, you won't have a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 10:07am
Sorry for misleading you guys. The picture I posted to start the thread is an example of the lettering and stripes I am looking to achieve. Here are a few pictures of my 77'. As you can see, no lettering at all. Its a shame...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 10:40am
Steve,
Besides posting a request to find a member in your area for the graphics tracing, go to the diaries, put in the appropriate years and do a search.

Is it a 76 or 77? It really doesn't matter since there were several years around that time when the hull side graphics didn't change. Do look at the transom graphic closely.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 10:10pm
It is a 76. What would be the best way to go about finding someone to lend me a hand with the stenciling of the original font?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 10:52pm
Sweet77 has a nice 76 (confusing I know) near Jacksonville, Fla. He is a great guy, but has kind of feel off of the map since his wife popped out a child. He has a great example of a beautiful 76. He is North of Jacksonville near the GA state line. It would be worth flying to Jacksonville and doing a trace off of his boat, but you may find one closer to you. His boat has Red Trim and he is a member of Team Red. He started out with a 77 model and sold it and later purchased a clean 76 out of Tennessee.
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 2:18pm
Thanks for the response. A trip down to FL isn't in my cards with my job and wife. Hoping to find someone more local to me up here in Maine. Thanks again
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 3:55pm
I have masks for the side letters and rear letters. You'd have to tape the spears yourself.
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 7:03pm
Excellent. How much will those run me?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 10:31am
I think it was around 325 for both sides and the rear.
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 12:01pm
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.
vernonfarmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2015 at 12:10pm
I kinda like it "naked".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic