Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Regular Gas

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2006 at 3:19pm
I've been thinking about this subject on and off for a couple of months.
One problem would be replacing all the rubber hoses and gaskets the fuel comes in comtact with. Methanol and Ethanol are both polar solvents that will cause rubber to swell. The fuel lines could be replaced by copper. The gaskets would need to be replaced with something like Viton.
The tank would need to be replaced with somthing like polypropylene. The alcohol could cause a steel tank to rust.
You would have to be very careful about water getting mixed with the fuel.
And finally, you would need to adjust/change the jets in the carb.
These are just things I've considered and aren't the end-all-be-all. I suspect there would be better materials than Viton and Polypropylene for the uses above. I just haven't researched it. Anyway...
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2006 at 10:16pm
   Good point on the fuel tank.Can anyone say what the tank is made out of on an E85 vehicle?Alcohol is a popular fuel for high horespower motorsports,but if left in a plastic dirtbike tank it will ruin it overnight.Don't know if those are polypropylene or not.I suspect just about all rubber fuel system parts now,except for hoses are made of viton for that exact reason-small quant*ties of alcohol starting to show up in our pump gas.

Man,this is more like a mechanical engineering lesson that a boat thread.Interesting stuff though!I wasn't even aware E85 vehicles were available
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic