NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Charging system

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
barefootdan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charging system
    Posted: March-02-2015 at 2:22am
i have a 1979 BFN with a 454 in it my problem is that the charging system is not working I replaced the altanater and it still is not working could my regulated be bad? When I took the wires off the old altanater there was a red wire that was connected weird to me it looked like it went to ground. But the charging system was working that way last year I'll try to post a picture
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 2:25am
How do I post pics from my I phone 6??
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 2:34am
Originally posted by barefootdan barefootdan wrote:

How do I post pics from my I phone 6??

There are some programs you could download to make it work, sorry do not recall which program, but it was posted on this site not to long ago.

I use photobucket and it works great. Good luck.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 12:34pm
You could always email the photo to yourself, then log into your email from a laptop/desktop and upload it from there.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 1:04pm
Do you have an OMC? I would think Tim knows that particular system best but these boats are not complicated. Get a VOM and start poking around.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 2:34pm
Dan,
Let's start at some basics. How do you know the alternator isn't working? What tests have you done before and after you installed the new one? Is the new one internally regulated?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2015 at 9:11pm
Dan,
Anything new? Did you find the problem? If you haven't found the problem, remember our questions need answering so we can try and help. Get back to us as we'd like to know what's going on. I've noticed you have visited the site 4 or 5 times since you initially posted the problem in this thread so I and I'm sure others are curious.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2015 at 11:17pm
Pete, are you stalking people    

I think a good portion of the country is frozen and it may be a whole before anyone thinks about using a boat. Our water has dropped 10 degrees in the last 2 weeks, normally it would rise about that much this time of year.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2015 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Pete, are you stalking people    

I think a good portion of the country is frozen and it may be a whole before anyone thinks about using a boat.

Don,
Dan is from California! No, I'm not stalking but I do occasionally check if members have visited to see if they have had the opportunity to see our questions. BTW, you don't need to put the boat in the lake to check the alternator.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 12:47am
The only thing I have done i
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 1:11am
The only thing I have done is start the boat then remove the negative from the battery then the boat dies
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 7:45am
Ha, well that's a good way to kill the alt if it's not already dead.

Otherwise, it's not a very good test. Get a voltmeter on it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 7:56am

The only thing I have done is start the boat then remove the negative from the battery then the boat dies

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Do you have an OMC? Get a VOM and start poking around.

Dan,
As HW has mentioned, get the VOM out and do some testing. Disconnecting the battery can do some damage. It's an old method used back when engines ran generators. With alternators, it will put the alternator into full field output and can damage the full wave rectification bridge in the alternator. Do not listen to whoever told you to do this. If you need some help, find someone else. Give us some more information. Old alternator symptoms? Battery type (deep cycle or starting)? Did the new alternator come with any instructions? Trace the connected wire(s) and get back to us. All you mentioned is a red wire. Is the new alternator a one wire internally regulated? The source of the new alternator? Is it marine rated?

Information is needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 8:13am
[QUOTE=TRBenj] Ha,

So I can name that tune (find that problem) in two words red wire ???
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 9:44am
I took the old alt to a marine shop they replaced the old alt with a new one with the same numbers and yes it is a marine alt, the battery is a marine deep cycle battery. There are three wires a yellowish brown (a thicker wire),a green wire, and a red wire. The green and red wire run into a black box while the thicker yellowish brown runs to the back of the motor and goes into a wire harness plug
     On the back of the alt there is a cover that reads do not remove due to fumes, there is two small nuts that hold this cover on that's where the red wire was connected I know that's not right, but the old alt worked fine for the two years that Way.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 10:05am
Deep cycle ? OH NO!!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 1:08pm
I think one important question to get out of the way is the new alternator the same model as the previous one? Mainly we need to know if both old/new were externally regulated or both internally regulated. If you're crossing over from one to the other, that's going to add a layer to sorting out the wiring.

Does the back of your new alternator look like this?:

Also, time for Tim's wiring diagram:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 7:56pm
Dan,
Do you have a friend who may be more familiar with charging systems that could help? And NOT the backyard guy who told you to disconnected the battery when running!! Hopefully he also has a VOM and can give use more info. Was the old alternator tested? If it tested good, then the new one wouldn't have been needed. Please test to determine a cause before becoming a "parts changer"! BTW, there's a good chance that you blew the new alternator when you disconnected the battery.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 12:38am
No doesn't look like that
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 8:06am

No doesn't look like that

So what does it look like?
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dan,
remember our questions need answering so we can try and help.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Do you have an OMC?

Dan,
Was the old alternator tested? If it tested good, then the new one wouldn't have been needed.

Dan,
Do you have a friend who may be more familiar with charging systems that could help?

Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I think one important question to get out of the way is the new alternator the same model as the previous one? Mainly we need to know if both old/new were externally regulated or both internally regulated.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 9:53pm
Well Dan, did you find the problem? Don't leave us hanging without letting us know if the problem was solved and what the problem was. Is the 454 a OMC?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2015 at 4:00pm
BFD,
Did you find anything yet?

Don't leave us hanging without letting us know if the problem was solved and what the problem was.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic