NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New '93 For the M3Fan family

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 1:47pm
The medallion is almost like a little hat for the knob.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Joel,

HW can polish your Knob right      

Donald

Where is the "special" tool box needed for that (aka Brokeback Mountain)

Anyway, I polished mine. Just sand it till all the old coating is off and the major cracks are gone and then put laquer over it a couple of times (coating, polish, coating....)
1994 Sport Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 12:04am
OK, so a buddy of mine re-did his pinstriping on his '91 last year, said removal was horrible. Because of that I got THIS baby, can't wait to "unleash the Krakken" on the pinstripes:

Thank goodness for google on that one, just hoping it works as good as they say.

Also, took a moment to get the dash plaque updated. Nice to pretend that we're actually the rich people who the boat was performance engineered for. Pretty sure when they thought of the PEF plaque they weren't thinking "Performance engineered for the non-wealthy, zero generational wealth, 1st world family who bought this boat 22 years later". That would be too long to fit on the plaque anyway I suppose:

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 12:52am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

OK, so a buddy of mine re-did his pinstriping on his '91 last year, said removal was horrible. Because of that I got THIS baby, can't wait to "unleash the Krakken" on the pinstripe

Joel - helped on Johnny's BFN & Frankenotters 176, add a little heat gun and they both came off in 1 long pull. Try it first, see what happens, I can get you my heat gun if you need it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 8:52am
Yeah what Steve said. If you do end up using the eraser wheel, be careful- it can burn the gel if you're too aggressive.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 9:48am
Sheesh-- clearly if it comes off the standard way that would be better but if it doesn't, I'm prepared. My buddy with the 91 is extremely competent-- his striping would not come off in anything approaching a single piece using any combination of heat or care. The striping on my 00 came off super easily with a little heat so that's clearly the hope.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2015 at 12:21pm
So this is cool. The boat came with 3 brochures- the full 1993 brochure, the 1993 short brochure, and the 1993 "Pro Boss" brochure for the engine.

What I thought was really neat is that they circled options they wanted with the boat. Really cool to imagine someone back in 1993 circling options for actually ordering the boat and still having that with the boat itself.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2015 at 3:24pm
That is pretty cool! Especially that Pro Boss brochure.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2015 at 5:05pm
SHAKEDOWN CRUISE was today, Easter Sunday. For the listeners at home, that means that I did buy the boat with no test drive. Gotta strike while the iron is hot sometimes.

The boat is terrific. Instant start (barely 1 revolution before it fired), very smooth running. Very powerful and quick with the Pro-Boss and the ACME 654 which is on there now. I figure that prop, being a 15 vs. a 15.5 dia like a 422 probably gives it some pep. In that case I may switch it with my 00's 422 to give the 00 some more acceleration in our very tight course setup. This boat will be doing open water duty and won't need any extra pep from a smaller prop.

The NWZ hull is so terrific, and paired with the Pro Boss powerplant it's just a very nimble and terrific platform. Keep in mind I had the 1990 for 3 years but that was a LONG time ago so I've long forgotten how these drive. Drives just like a modern boat. CC had this thing nailed back then, it must have been a huge deal when NWZ came out.

I'm getting a full 14V at the dash, unheard of (seemingly) on these boats. I had proactively swapped out the Ignition breaker right when I got it because the old one was sticky anyway. I know that helped considerably on the old '90.

I had messed with the dip switches a bit on the VDO tach and it's reading a bit better, about 1000 RPM low now. Much better.

One Airguide was leaking water. I've disassembled it and sure enough it's a diaphragm seam very obviously cracked. Seems like it would be very straightforward to either solder the seam closed.

This trailer loads and unloads so poorly it's nearly a deal breaker and un-useable on a steep ramp. The ramp I used is fairly steep and the nose of the boat hit both the rubber v-bumper and the V-pads on the way down, hard. The guide poles have no floating pads on them so submerged they are only about 8" out of the water which accounts for the scratched up stickers. Loading this trailer on a steep ramp- forget about it. it was a mess and it's still not all the way loaded. Took a lot of winching and phased up and down the ramp action to try to get it on, terrible.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2015 at 5:31pm
Joel,
It's great news you are enjoying the boat. Sorry the trailer is such a PITA. Where did you put the boat in? Looks like the cal-sag channel!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2015 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joel,
It's great news you are enjoying the boat. Sorry the trailer is such a PITA. Where did you put the boat in? Looks like the cal-sag channel!

My ski club, it's a tiny pond just big enough for the course and a jump.

I'm also currently stripping the varnish off the platform. The PO sealed it, figuring it looked great. Unfortunately I'm familiar with the varnish removal process- my MC has it and by a the 00 was inadvertently sealed do-gooder friend a while back.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2015 at 5:57pm

Unfortunately I'm familiar with the varnish removal process- my MC has it and by a the 00 was inadvertently sealed do-gooder friend a while back.

Joel,
Thanks for the link. Does anyone know what happened to Chuck (the lake)?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2015 at 11:57pm
Looks really sharp on the water!

What do you plan to change on the trailer? Get rid of the angled winch arm and put vertical crash pads?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 12:10am
The relatively low guide posts mounted so far back definitely aren't doing any good.

All those keel "rollers" do is nothing but scuff gelcoat, cut pinstripe and bend rub rails.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 1:37am
when I had my '93 Joel it was on a Ramlin trailer and it loaded terrible too...

I have not talked to The Lake (Chuck Arney) for quite awhile Pete. But he went thru some 'life changing' stuff awhile back.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Looks really sharp on the water!

What do you plan to change on the trailer? Get rid of the angled winch arm and put vertical crash pads?

I think the side profile on the NWZ hulls with the big graphics and primary stripe (90-93) is honestly one of the most bad-ass profiles of any boat. The lines are so clean and flowing, it just looks absolutely killer. Classic but also substantially "mean". We talked about these being the next "classics" a while back and I'm starting to really agree with that.

In theory the trailer will be used to load and unload once per year and drive about 1 mile back and forth so I'm not going to modify it. I just hate it and think it's the biggest POS I've ever had under a boat. On a level ramp it's probably not as bad but anything steep and the angles just don't work out.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 12:49pm
John, curious to hear more about your problems with the Ramlin? Seems like they have the closest design to what CC produced for years and load so well.

Joel, good thing you won't be trailering that boat often! Steep ramps and tall bunks don't mix well.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

John, curious to hear more about your problems with the Ramlin?

I was gonna say the same thing
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 1:00pm
Correct craft was still in the trailer business in '93... Ram-Lin wasn't born until 95 or so, if memory serves. There is literally no difference in the product either way, the trailers were the same. Only minor tweaks between our '92 cc and '03 ramlin. I've always loved the way they load, we've encountered ramps of varying steepness.

Joel, I could probably accept that homely looking trailer if it loaded nice and wasn't used often... It sure doesn't have much going for it though. Such a cherry boat deserves better. Maybe keep an eye out for another cc/ramlin on the cheap and sell that thing to a Malibu owner? Ha.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Joel, I could probably accept that homely looking trailer if it loaded nice and wasn't used often... It sure doesn't have much going for it though. Such a cherry boat deserves better. Maybe keep an eye out for another cc/ramlin on the cheap and sell that thing to a Malibu owner? Ha.

I will definitely keep an eye out for a replacement trailer and give this to somebody with a 96 Tantrum or a Coyote Aztek Skier, for sure. The trailer is incredibly ugly and I certainly don't want to redo the pinstriping and 230.00 side decals only to have them scratched or beat up from this POS. If I can get a new trailer for the 2000, this thing could at least inherit that one. Keep an eye out for me folks.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 1:24pm
Lol, good plan. Longer PVC over those guides for the short term to protect the decals!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 2:00pm

I think the side profile on the NWZ hulls with the big graphics and primary stripe (90-93) is honestly one of the most bad-ass profiles of any boat. The lines are so clean and flowing, it just looks absolutely killer. Classic but also substantially "mean". We talked about these being the next "classics" a while back and I'm starting to really agree with that.

I agree. For the same reason, though I have a '98 Sport and love having the trunk for storage, when I see a '93-'97 Sport on the water with the angled stern I think it's just an amazingly good looking boat, the lines flow forward beautifully.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to move the guide poles forward, might be worth it even for the once a year launch. That trailer will not launch well in a really shallow ramp with the high bunks, so as you say it's really pretty useless in all conditions!
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 2:20pm
I'm a little late to the party, Joel, but great looking boat!
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 3:00pm
Joel, it appears the guide poles have a PVC pipe cover, if so try just sliding the PVC up a foot or so when launching, if the poles are slightly arced as it appears that should create enough resistance for the PVC to remain in that position.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

John, curious to hear more about your problems with the Ramlin?

Maybe John had other issues but The Ramlin under the 93' Paragon was a PITA, and Chuck who bought it felt the same way as he ended up dumping the Ramlin and getting a brand new Boatmate a couple years ago.

Unless you leave the tops of the fenders out of the water and powerload the hull would often end up on top of the fenders because it was such a tight fit between them.

When Timmy jumps in and says "that's how you load it, blah, blah, blah" good luck when you need to float on because powerloading is illegal as it should be and when you have a colored hull that gets and shows all the scratches created from power loading.

Would imagine Chris that your colored hull will show scratches if you powerload, the Blue 206 always gets floated on for that reason.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 7:39pm
Refreshing the throttle knob:

Intersting parallel with this- over 10 years ago I wanted to refinish the throttle knob on my 90 SN and bought a little can of stain + poly coating from Minwax to do that job. I found that same can on the shelf, untouched all these years, and used it again for the 93. Incredible!

Bought some silver solder and flux today for repairing the speedo bellows seam. Also oiled and cleaned up all the internals so everything moves very smoothly.Very simple and neat mechanism.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 11:13pm
Completed what has been one of my favorite boat repairs to date, and that is taking this crusty old broken Airguide and refurbishing it to like-new operational status. This Airguide had been leaking for some time, as evidenced by corroded internals and a stained faceplate. It blows my mind that a PO would not consider this a more urgent repair. Hell, after 1 single ride in the boat I had to fix it immediately.

I was able to grab a basic silver solder coil (from researching old posts here) and flux right from Ace Hardware. I scraped the surface of the bellows seam clean with a razor, very gently, then brushed the flux on liberally. Then I used my tiny 23W soldering iron to heat the seam, about 1/8" at a time, slowly applying the solder to the joint and iron, allowing it to fill the gap, then inching the iron down the seam and repeating. Looks pretty good, IMO. This literally took 5 minutes to do.

I also had to clean up and lubricate the internal pivot points inside the gauge, as well as the dial, lens, etc. It went from crusty and barely moving to moving effortlessly.

After repairing the bellows I blew into the gauge with a little length of hose and sure enough, no leaks and the needle moved. As a human being I could only get the gauge to indicate 14mph so I very carefully used my air compressor w/blow gun (just barely cracking the valve, carefully). The gauge takes quite a bit of pressure, as Pete indicated in a couple older Airguide posts. 45mph is certainly a decent amount of PSI but the gauge took it and held it repeatedly.

I am so happy about this repair. Taking such a basic, old, mechanical item and getting it to function like new again with minimal fuss is about as good as it gets. Being a homeowner who maintains a fleet of our own land and water vehicles, I've fixed a lot of things. However, something about bringing this little device to life really put a smile on my face.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 12:15am
Be careful, I think a bunch of boxes with old gauges in bubble wrap may start arriving at your door!

Very nicely done.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 12:23am
Great job Joel. I admire you just going at projects even when you have never done it before. Yup, pretty easy and now you have added to your skill level.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 1:50am
Usually it is a good practice to defer to Tim's memory but I am almost positive that my '93 was on a Ramlin.
Like CQ said..unless the ramp was almost flat and you had the trailer in high the boat would float over the fenders every time. Mine were dented up very bad. And I have loaded a few boats over the years.
But I have to agree on the side graphics..loved the wide stripe. The '93 was my 1st brand new boat and we loved it. Just couldn't load it.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic