Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

helm steering box for 1972 correct craft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
macjava View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macjava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: helm steering box for 1972 correct craft
    Posted: March-18-2015 at 3:43pm
Folks

I'm working on a 1972 Correct Craft (precursor to the Ski Nautique). I think it is 17'.

There seems to be more than a desirable amount of play in the helm. It's tight at the rudder connections and the play seems to be in the helm unit.

Is this a teleflex unit? are there any replacable parts inside ... what's the solution here?

thanks xx rick
rick 706 540-3285
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 5:39pm
The ski nautique has been around since 1961, FYI- it was the first fiberglass CC so I wouldn't say a '72 of any flavor was it's precursor. I actually can't think of any 17' boats they made in '72... The last year of the Cuda was '70 I think, the mustang 17 didn't come out until '74. Got a pic of your boat?

Assuming it's a late 60's or newer cc, it's probably a teleflex Big-T rotary helm. They aren't serviceable to my knowledge, full replacement may be required.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 7:37pm
Rick,
Welcome to CCfan.
Considering your confusion, please post some pictures. We would have asked anyway!
How are the stringers?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 8:52pm
I think there are some plastic bushings something like these on the input shaft but they might be there to reduce friction. Seems like these things are pretty sloppy no matter what. Might be why they went to rack systems?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
macjava View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macjava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 9:13pm
Hello, It looks like the boat is perhaps a 1972 SKIER since that is what it says on the dash .... maybe 16.5 feet?

the teleflex folks also identified the helm as a BIG T. So, how much play should there be at the wheel (holding the rudder stationary) The teleflex guy said several inches was normal.

how does one upload photos? or do i have to link to them somewhere?

thanks xx rick
rick 706 540-3285
macjava View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macjava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 9:24pm
rick 706 540-3285
macjava View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macjava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 9:25pm
rick 706 540-3285
macjava View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macjava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 9:33pm
rick 706 540-3285
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 9:40pm
Rick,
That's for the pictures. I'm glad you figured out what boat you purchased. When you get a chance, take a look at the brochures in the reference section. They are a valuable source of info. It looks like some work was done to the Skier. Tell us more about it. Work done? Engine? Paint buff or re gel? Stringers?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by macjava macjava wrote:

The teleflex guy said several inches was normal.

On the outside of the helm wheel, I say this is accurate. Do check the bushings for wear. You would be able to detect radial movement in the helm shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
macjava View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macjava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 9:48pm
Well, first of all it's not my boat ... i'm just the hired gun with a reasonable amount of planes, cars, printing presses, motor scooters and boat repair skills. I'm more of a cruising sailor than a ski boater although i can water ski, still, at 60. The boat is usually on seed lake in north georgia and it may have come from there or lake rabun. Boats up on those lakes are not driven very far since the lakes are small and they are usually boat house stored and i suspect this one was. The gelcoat is shiny and looks original to me.

The owner and his crew did some floorboard replacement and recarpeting in, i am sure, a substandard manner, but it's solid. I assume you mean the stringers that the engine sits on? i should probe them and see if they are solid.

The less they touch, the better the boat will remain. When it's warmer, i'll go up to the lake and drive the boat and see how it actually is in operation.

thanks xx rick
rick 706 540-3285
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 10:17pm
That is a pretty Skier. Don't know that I have seen a full on red one, top and bottom. I am jealous of the ski rope guard on the back that keeps the rope off of the vents and lift ring. The one on my '73 is a dinky, flimbsy excuse, that everyone wants to try and pull up on when they are getting out of the water, and it's sharp so it feels great when you rake your shin on it.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
macjava View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macjava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 10:25pm
it's a pretty sweet boat. I actually told the owner NOT to buy it because of its age.... he used to own a mid 80's ski nautique which was a very nice boat with a straight 6 that i used to work on a bit... but he sold that one for some reason This Skier has a ford 351 V-8 .... is that a correct engine or someone's mod?

i'd rather have a straight 6 .... simpler

rick 706 540-3285
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 12:24am
Rick,
I say the 351 in the Skier is a re power. The straight 6 in the 80's SN is confusing. It would be the first one I've heard of?? A common engine for the Skier's was a 6 and the SN would have been a V8.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 12:30am
Just FYI, if a skilled old inboard mechanic is ever required, there is a great shop on Rabun. Lakemont Marine at Halls Boat House. Been there since the 30's. Ben McCracken is the owner.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 8:20am
Ah, this boat.

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1448

A few non-original bits (like the ladder and clearance bar from a newer boat) but the red looks nice. Grab the hull number off the plate by the throttle (SK-xxx), I suspect it may be a '71. Original engine would have been a 302, what makes you think it's a 351w?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 1:15pm
^ Tim, the PO even marks it as a 351 TE engine in the diary post back in 06'.. Special order??

Nice Skier for sure
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 1:25pm
All red skier. Nice. The only downside for me is the ladder. I'd like an all red (or blue, or green, or orange) boat. Would take a lot of annual buffing to keep nice, tho.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 1:27pm
Not likely, 351w's were not even common in the 18' SN by that point. It was never offered in any of the 16' boats as far as I know. I suspect it was a 302 originally (and possibly still is), they look quite similar to the untrained eye.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic