NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice for reviving a '87 SN 2001 after 10yrs

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice for reviving a '87 SN 2001 after 10yrs
    Posted: March-28-2015 at 2:33pm
Good day everyone, brand new member here from central Indiana needing some advice from the experts. This season I've worked out a deal to use my cousin's '87 SN 2001. In consideration for taking care of the general maintenance, repair and upkeep of the boat, if the boat fits my needs, I'll to buy it from him in the fall. If I don't buy it, I just incur the expense to get it in usable shape for him to sell outright. So I'm pretty excited over this prospect, the SN 2001's have always been a favorite of mine, they are exceptionally flexible watercraft that can easily go from tubing to skiing to wake boarding.

So here's what little I do know mechanically about the boat:
It has been stored (covered) in his attached garage for 10+yrs
The boat was properly winterized by a CC dealer before storage
The boat was maliciously maintained before storage
It has a PCM 351
It probably needs a new water pump (don't know if that means internal or impeller)
It probably need the stuffing box re-adjusted or re-packed
It is on the original CC trailer

What I'd like to know is, what are the specific very first steps (beyond visual) that I should take to diagnose the condition of the engine and transmission once I get it here to my garage? Another cousin told me he had a 70's Mustang in a similar state once. He knew the condition of this boat before being stored and he believes that, like his Mustang, the 2001 would probably need little more than a new battery, some cleaning up and new fluids before starting. Can that be right?

I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but in-boards are new to me and any advise that I can get, no matter how basic, would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!    
'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 3:30pm
Rob,
Welcome to CCfan and using your cousins 2001. We always ask for pictures and would love to see some.

Fluid changes are always a good idea but not needed since oil doesn't go bad with time. However, what may happen is water from condensation. The new battery is needed but don't make the mistake of buying a marine especially a deep cycle. A automotive starting battery is fine.

BTW, you will be using a ski boat and NOT a tubing boat!!! Tubing is a no skill activity that just f***'s up the water for everyone else. Get out on the ski's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 4:08pm
Hi Peter,
Many thanks for the welcome and insight on the oil and battery. I guess my first step, aside from getting the boat here, is going to be fabricating an adapter for my hose to use for cooling in preparation for starting her up.

If there is\was a little condensation in the oil, do you suppose it would still be ok to briefly use the old oil just to get the engine and trans warmed up? That would make it a lot easier to vampire out the old and replace it.

I'm picking up the boat in a couple of weeks so I'll take plenty of pics of everything I do. I'm a huge fan to putting together pictorial DIY's so that others who want to perform their own maintenance have something to reference - been there\done that with my old BMW E46 coupe. Believe me, it helps.

BTW, the Dunphy and Atom are both beautiful boats. The Dunphy almost reminds me of our old '68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix. Ah, the memories...

Yup, I agree -tubing just mucks everything up for those who actually want to demonstrate a little coordination and not just suck lake water.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 4:27pm
Rob,
Getting the engine hot for a fluid change is fine with the existing oil.

Regarding the hose connection, most here keep it simple and it works fine. We call it the "Tim's flush connection". It simply consists of a T with barbed fittings to cut into the suction hose to the RWP before the trans cooler and then a valve and GHT adapter for the hose. Don't worry about a valve or check valve back to the through hull pick up. The RWP will suck plenty and the excess will come out of the bottom of the boat. It's also a great hook up since you will not get any false idea of the condition of the RWP from the garden hose pressure. Do check the condition of the RWP rubber impeller. It would be best to install a new one.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

It's called the Timmy T. Here is the inventor on the left and his marketing team at work.

Hope I don't scare off the new people---

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 5:41pm
Here is a pic of it mounted in mine,I have a quick connect hose
fitting on here too

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 6:22pm
Gary,
What's all the white stuff on your engine? Looks like you had to unload a fire extinguisher!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 6:42pm
If you remember Pete I bought it in September and drove it once. Put it away for the winter,drove to Florida to clean out Dads house and came back to have my stint put in. I had no time at all to play with my new find. It was just dirty with dust and hard water deposits. The engine mounted breaker panel needs a repaint but on the whole it is cleaner now and should pass inspection at GL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Rob,
Getting the engine hot for a fluid change is fine with the existing oil.

Regarding the hose connection, most here keep it simple and it works fine. We call it the "Tim's flush connection". It simply consists of a T with barbed fittings to cut into the suction hose to the RWP before the trans cooler and then a valve and GHT adapter for the hose. Don't worry about a valve or check valve back to the through hull pick up. The RWP will suck plenty and the excess will come out of the bottom of the boat. It's also a great hook up since you will not get any false idea of the condition of the RWP from the garden hose pressure. Do check the condition of the RWP rubber impeller. It would be best to install a new one.   

You guys know that Timmy's boat came to him with the Timmy T on it right? Is it still rightfully the Timmy T?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 8:01pm
Similar concept but I junked that thing right quick Joel. I didn't invent the concept, just perfected it. ;)

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Similar concept but I junked that thing right quick Joel. I didn't invent the concept, just perfected it. ;)

Yup, you did perfect the idea so we can still credit you. That's for reminding Joel!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 11:31pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Yup, you did perfect the idea so we can still credit you. That's for reminding Joel!

I think it's fair to say that vs. 10 years ago, literally, we all know so much more now than then. I'm comfortable saying I didn't know anything 10 years go vs. what I know now, largely because I read this board every day. It's important to remember your roots and where you came from. Keep the egos in check and don't forget that we are all standing on the shoulders of giants.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 9:11am
Back to the boat, I would take the spark plugs out, put some oil in each cyl (just an oz) & roll it over until oil pressure gage starts to wake up.   Put the plugs back in, check that that choke is working, & she should fire up with a couple pumps of throttle.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 9:16am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I think it's fair to say that vs. 10 years ago, literally, we all know so much more now than then. I'm comfortable saying I didn't know anything 10 years go vs. what I know now, largely because I read this board every day. It's important to remember your roots and where you came from. Keep the egos in check and don't forget that we are all standing on the shoulders of giants.

Joel,
You are absolutely correct. I always say to myself and others that you can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Back to the boat, I would take the spark plugs out, put some oil in each cyl (just an oz) & roll it over until oil pressure gage starts to wake up.   Put the plugs back in, check that that choke is working, & she should fire up with a couple pumps of throttle.

Had similar situation that my boat sat for 10 years. Did the same as above but manually turned over the engine with a breaker bar and then fired her up. Started right up
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 5:41pm
Pete and Gary, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction so I can put together my own "Timmy T Chris" ("TTC adapter"?). Looks like I now have a reason to visit my favorite home supply store instead of just looking for something to turn a wrench on

I'm definitely all about "No since in reinventing the wheel" and "keep it simple". That's why I'm here, there's a pool of knowledgeable folks out there who really want to pass on what they've learned to help the community.

Back when I flying OV-1D's, there were less than 70 pilots rated on that aircraft in the entire military.
It's funny, but at a recent reunion each of us were able to pick up on certain traits on specific aircraft even though we had never met face to fact.

If you can tap into that kind of experience, it will likely save you a whole lot of heartache and $$$$ down the road later.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 5:49pm

Are there any thoughts on Marvel's vs Sea Foam to break up any contaminants\chunky oil pieces? I'd like to get all the old oil changed out and reduce condensation as much as possible before putting in new fluids - I'm just a little concerned that just siphoning the engine\trans oil will leave too much Sea Foam or Marvel in the oil pan and contaminate the new oil.     
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 6:08pm

You are absolutely correct. I always say to myself and others that you can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid!

Definitely a philosophy everyone could learn from.

When I was younger and knew everything, when things went sideways I usually found that at some point I would end up saying to myself "DOH! Why on earth did I do that???"

So with age, hopefully comes both experience (knowledge) AND wisdom.

At least I'm at the point where I've learned that ignorance may be bliss, but its also painful and expensive
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by xarmypilot xarmypilot wrote:

Are there any thoughts on Marvel's vs Sea Foam to break up any contaminants\chunky oil pieces?   

I'm a firm believer in Marvel. It's basically a detergent similar to the detergent additives in oils and ATF. I've used it the oil as well as in the fuel. After I rebuilt the Hercules for my Atom, it sat for about ten years before the boat was ready. Cranked up the engine and found that I had a couple valves stuck open. Even with fogging for layup, this is common with a flat head since the oil runs down off the valve stem. I squirted Marvel down the cylinders and added it to the gas tank and in the fuel pump sediment bowl. I had a running engine in several minutes. I also use a mix of 50/50 Marvel and motor oil for fogging. That habit came from one of the old time mechanics when I worked at Watercraft sales back in the late 60's and early 70's.

BTW, the best penetrating oil is a homemade mix of acetone and ATF or Marvel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 1:01am
Looks like the boat should be here Saturday evening - Pix should be up by Sunday and hopefully a vid of the 1st start (if I play my cards right). Sure hope the tires on the trailer are good to go for a 120-mile jaunt. If not, I'm bringing a set of newer mounted ones...just in case.

Looks like I might actually have something in my sig block next week
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 1:32am
Rough week at work, missed a ton of new posts... Welcome to CCFan, can't wait to see pictures of your "new" boat. What did you fly in the army? There are a few pilots here, and at least one gunship pilot too. Anyway - can't wait to see the pics!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 11:22am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Rough week at work, missed a ton of new posts... Welcome to CCFan, can't wait to see pictures of your "new" boat. What did you fly in the army? There are a few pilots here, and at least one gunship pilot too. Anyway - can't wait to see the pics!

Hi Steve, many thanks for the warm welcome! It's great to know that I could probably get a PIREP from some of the other forum members if ever needed . I started out flying eggbeaters, OH-58D's and LOH-6's then I transitioned over to fixed-wing, primarily OV1-D's and finally the RC-12 GCS.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 1:12pm
Excellent! That is some very diverse flying! Have a safe trip picking up the boat this weekend.

BTW, Joel posted a great link about picking up a new (used) trailer, you can find it here:
New Boat/Trailer Pickup Checklist
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 4:30pm
Thanks Steve, Joel's post definitely helped jar some of the cobwebs loose. I had overlooked the cotter pins and spare trailer light modules\bulbs.

I think I'm going the "crossed fingers" route with the bearings on this trip. Hopefully a visual inspection will do. I just can't see going down that rabbit hole in my cousin's driveway. If the bearings are showing a lot of wear or play, I'll just flat bed that sucker up to my garage later in the week.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 4:39pm
Is it an original trailer? If so, here are the bearings you need... Just in case they're toast. I always travel with a spare set, that seems to be a good luck charm (never had a bearing failure).

LM67048
10-10 seal (this may be an Etrailer part number), it's the standard 2.25" seal for a 5200lb (6x5.5") hub.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 10:33pm
Thanks Tim for the replacement bearing info - that task, I'm afraid, is going to be a given before hitting the water.

I'm 99.9% sure the trailer is the '87 OEM CC SN2001 trailer. It's been stored in an attached garage so no real concerns about it seeing a significant amount of moisture.

Still, even if the bearing were repacked the day before it was stored I know there's going to be some breakdown of that grease. Any thoughts on it making a 55-60mph, 120-mile highway trek before repacking?

Is there anything short of pulling a hub apart that I can do to make an semi-educated guess as to whether it's a good idea to chance it?

As Gen George Patton once said "Calculated risks are quite different from being rash."

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2015 at 12:30am
It doesn't take very long to pull a hub off, but you could just pull the dust cap & cotter pin off to get to the outer bearing without removing wheel (use jack stand of course).

If the outer bearing & race are in good shape, chances are the inner is too.

Not sure if '87 axles are thru-lube; if they are you can easily grease both inner & outer without removing hub.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2015 at 12:56am

Not sure if '87 axles are thru-lube; if they are you can easily grease both inner & outer without removing hub.

If not thru-lube and as long as the caps are off, put a set of Bearing Buddies on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2015 at 8:23am

It doesn't take very long to pull a hub off, but you could just pull the dust cap & cotter pin off to get to the outer bearing without removing wheel (use jack stand of course).

If the outer bearing & race are in good shape, chances are the inner is too.

I agree 100%, after thinking on it I just couldn't rationalize dragging that joker 120-miles on a wing and a prayer.

20-30 minutes in the driveway is a cheap and easy investment compared to littering up the highway and making a spectacle for the evening news.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2015 at 8:35am

If not thru-lube and as long as the caps are off, put a set of Bearing Buddies on.

Now that I think about it, I'd actually be pretty surprised if there wasn't a set of bearing buddies on there. My late uncle was absolutely meticulous when it came to stuff like that. He was the epitome of the saying "a stitch in time saves 9". Hopefully I'll get to see a benefit from that philosophy.      
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic