NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with a Michigan trailer plate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with a Michigan trailer plate
    Posted: March-29-2015 at 11:59am
Even though I live in Indiana, I had registered and plated my trailer in Michigan. Reason being, in Indiana, it was about $125/year, and Michigan is a one time $75 fee. When I took the title in, they kept it, and in return issued a permanent plate.

My question is, how do I get the title back now that I want to sell the trailer? Michigans web site is no help, and getting someone who knows or cares on the phone is impossible. Do I just keep the plate on the trailer for the new buyer? That doesn't seem right to me.....

Anyone in Michigan have any experience with this?

Rob
newscotty2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newscotty2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 12:51pm
Michigan does not require a title for trailers, so I don't think they kept your title. I just needed a description and a value ( for sales tax). Also, the permanent trailer plates are just that. They are permanently associated with the trailer they are registered for. I totaled a boat in a car accident and kept the plate thinking I could transfer it to a new boat trailer, but I had to buy a new plate. I would tell the buyer there is no title for the trailer and let them deal with it. Hope this helps.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 1:24pm
Rob,
Just as Scott mentions about Michigan trailer titling, the same is true in Wisconsin except they don't even issue plates. Without the requirement of titling trailers, the buyer deals with it. If he takes it into another state, he'll need to deal with their regulations. If titling is needed, then a bill of sale is the start.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 4:03pm
Buyers point of view:

I bought a Correct Craft trailer from Florida - (no title and a strange option of registering by going to a weigh scale).

Virginia uses titles for EVERYTHING with wheels and/or motors... so I needed a bill of sale and a title or at least a current registration (perm trailer plates would work in the name of the seller and on the Bill of Sale). Provide the new owner at least a copy of your current registration (not expired or under Uncle Joe's name). It makes the whole "Let the new owner deal with it" comment easier for the new owner..... and therefore, easier for you to sell to them.

Getting mine documented for Va required 6 weeks, $250.00 and a State Police inspection. I did it because I had original documentation and I wanted to restore the title as a CC trailer. I will never do that again and I would discourage anyone from buying a boat/trailer without the documentation that the destination state requires. Expensive and a HUGE PAIN.

Be aware that it may limit your sale but provide as much documentation as you can find; it could really help the buyer to "deal with it".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic