Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Nautique **Bad Engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
olivj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Nautique **Bad Engine
    Posted: April-06-2015 at 2:28pm
Just picked up a local 82 Ski Nautique 2001with engine issues.....It has the 351W engine....

My Questions Are?

1. Can I just go get a 351W long block from a reman builder (like for a car or truck) and swap out long blocks?
-or- Are there major differences that will prevent me from using a 351W engine from a car or truck application in the boat? (i.e.- will the motor mounts, marine exhaust manifolds, pulley drive systems, etc, from the boat work?)

2. Related to question 1 above can these engines be replaced with a 5.0 302 Car or truck engine?

I am a bolt on DIY guy....I don't have a lot of fabrication skills but I am a "knowledgeable" mechanic. Meaning I can use tools and I understand internal combustion engine logic. I just wanted to know my options as I begin the tear down and be prepared to know what it will cost to replace it depending on the damage seen when I get in there.

Also....I need some parts and this an older job so.....Anyone know where I can purchase replacement stuff for this boat and drivetrain from? I need things life rubber exhaust hose and Exhaust flappers, etc?

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
OLIVJ
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 2:47pm
first things first, your distributor, cam and timing assembly is going to be different than a over the road block because it is most likely reverse rotation.
hoses and such should be able to be found at any marine store like west marine or port supply. Or if you can find a friend with an account Kellog is usually chepest way out.

out of curiousity what are the current engine "issues"
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 3:33pm
I have a original great running Right rotation 351 PCM / Borg engine combination ready to set in your boat. New Carb all tuned up ready to go. Your in So Mississippi I am in PC Florida. pull your engine trans package put it on a crate bring it and $2000 to PC and swap it for this one. you will not be disappointed! or just bring the whole boat I can swap the engines in less than an hour for the same price.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
olivj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 4:52pm
When you say PC Florida are you talking Panama City? I am going to be in Destin FL on 19-22 of this month....

Hmmmmm......

How Many Hours is on the motor?

Do you run a business (boat repair)?

THANKS, OLIVJ
Jeremy Oliver
2001 Nautique
olivj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 5:01pm
Guy I bought it from, which is a long time friend, said he took it out last year and was running it....killed engine while swapping tubers.....wouldn't crank...said it sounded like the started was dragging...loaded it by hand brought it home parked it under the shed and went to get it ready for the water....hooked hose to it while replacing the starter....same thing dragging....he had water on cylinders pulled plugs pumped it out....went to change the oil and it was milky....I assume it has a crack somewhere....boat came with an extra set of rebuilt heads from a road 351W.....\

Just bought the boat late yesterday evening...I was planning on pulling the heads and seeing what could be seen without removing the engine then if I didn't like what I saw I was going to put a long block in it..

DayTony...I know this is really vague but I just got the boat yesterday and I just starting researching on what it will take to get it in the water.

Jeremy Oliver
2001 Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 5:26pm
Hi Jeremy,
Yes I run and own Florida Inboards inc. In Panama City Florida. Engine came out of a 87 Martinique. It has a new Carb and full tune up and oil and filter change, trans has been pumped and new trans fluid, it also has electronic ignition. It has 600 hours on it, We ran the engine on a skid after we pulled it and it was amazing on how well it ran. I am not splitting the package. You bring me the boat in the morning we are skiing that afternoon.
If you are on Face Book you can go to our FB Page Florida Inboards and there is a 31 sec video of the engine running.
Jody Seal
Florida Inboards Inc.
Panama City, Florida.
850 215 1996
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 6:13pm
That’s a pretty good deal there Jeremy. The engine that should be in that boat runs the reverse of what an automotive engine does. So you would need a reverse rotation marine long block to do it right.   The cheapest you are going to find is in the 1300 range and its pedigree will be questionable. Then you need to buy gaskets, get dirty, and hope that all the rest of the stuff on the engine weren’t the reason you got water up in there (intake and exhaust manifolds would be definite possibilities).   If you wanted to be super cheap and someone gave you an automotive engine you could put it in and buy a new prop to run it but you still would need to hope the rest of your stuff was in good repair and you would be left with a boat that the engine turned in the “wrong” direction – it would work but it would have a very limited resale market and just not be correct.   Jody is as solid as you get in this business .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 6:34pm
Kind of new at this, but could the prior owner have just hydrolocked it? And then gotten water in the oil when he tried to re-start?

Why not put oil in the cylinders and change the oil, turn it with a breaker bar and then try to fire it up, and then see if the new oil gets milky?

olivj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 7:44pm
It wont run at all now....After he changed the oil he never could get it to run again.

Jodi, could you do it on a Saturday? Will talk with my wife tonight and see if she wanted to try and go down a day early and be there for lunch time and spend the night in PC?

Will talk with her tonight and shoot you a PM tomorrow sometime.

Saw the video BTW of it running, looks a little rough but it sounds strong!!
Jeremy Oliver
2001 Nautique
olivj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 7:47pm
BTW the previous owner said that there was a switch or something that could be changed inside of the bell housing or fluid drive that would allow for either a reverse rotation engine or a regular rotation engine....

I am not a boat mechanic by any means and don't know if he is off his dang rocker or not but have you guys ever heard of that?

He said that the reason that he knows is because he had a new fluid drive installed and said that he forgot to flip it over to the correct rotation and ended up having to pull it back apart to fix it....

Jeremy Oliver
2001 Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 8:57pm
Jeremy,
I won't kiss that engine goodbye just yet. It's possible that your friend while tubing sucked water into the engine. With a healthy reverse and then cutting the engine it is feasible. The slow crank may be from cylinder wall corrosion. Pull the plugs, squirt some oil in the cylinders, change the oil, make sure you have a good starting battery (NOT DEEP CYCLE), clean you battery connections and give it a try.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 9:04pm
Yes, the trans can be changed for engine rotation but a 1:1 ratio DOES NOT change the engine to prop shaft rotation. The trans change is so the internal hydraulic pump develops pressure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 10:56am
That's some not so great advice! Yea! let's see,,,, engine consumes water in cylinder's, then sits for a year with the water in the cylinders. Let's break it loose and run it!!! Seen this many times. Problem with all this is that after the rust eats away in the cylinder walls rings no longer create compression in the affected cylinder's, Overall excessive taper is created and then those affected cylinders are very low on compression. Running engine under this condition could further damage an engine that could very well be bored and rebuilt.
Getting a recent hydro locked engine running again is not a problem (we have an affect 6 liter right now). We see this when customers loose an impeller and run the engine hot then quickly shut it down and sit in the water. again this situation provided not catastrophic is normally and easily repaired and the customer is back up and running in no time.

Jeremy yes we can accommodate you on a Sat. However I am offering this pull out engine at a price that includes your power plant as a core. keeping it un molested and in one piece is crucial to the transaction.

850 215 1996

Jody

Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 5:11pm
That sounds like a good price on the engine swap; especially, given that installation is included! Some of Fish Nautiques were re-powered in the mid 1990's with a standard rotation engine and fitted with a new PCM 40 1.23:1 gear and new props. Mine was and I saw one other on the forum that referenced it as well. That too is an option. Looks like the engine mounts move about an inch forward with that application.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Mountain Man Mountain Man wrote:

That sounds like a good price on the engine swap; especially, given that installation is included! Some of Fish Nautiques were re-powered in the mid 1990's with a standard rotation engine and fitted with a new PCM 40 1.23:1 gear and new props. Mine was and I saw one other on the forum that referenced it as well. That too is an option. Looks like the engine mounts move about an inch forward with that application.

It is an option for sure, but you will be a quick 2200+ bucks into a transmission, shaft, and prop... then you can think about paying for the engine and new marine starter, distributor gear, etc. Not a bad way to go but certainly not a frugal swap.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

That's some not so great advice! Yea! let's see,,,, engine consumes water in cylinder's, then sits for a year with the water in the cylinders. Jody

Jody,
I did not see that the engine sat for a year.
Jeremy,
By the engine from Jody before he gets madder at me!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 11:19am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jeremy,
By the engine from Jody before he gets madder at me!

Not Mad at All Pete, Just pointing out the non realistic approach that was submitted as advice. There are many threds on the rebuild of the SBF on this forum that are very good, informative and concise. The Gentleman who started this thred is new to Correct Craft world and maybe even inboards in general. The learning curve to a new person can be frustrating when all they want to do is get on the water as safe and economical as possible.

olivj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 11:48am
Jodi, I have not forgotten about you and I am interested. I am just simply trying to line everything up to make sure that I can make it down there before I call and tell you it is a go FOR SURE. There is nothing worse in my mind than me telling you I am coming and have to call the day before and say I am not going to be able to make it. That is not a good way to make friends in this new to me Correct Craft Arena.

As soon as I can work out the details. I will call you and we can set everything in stone for sure. I am interested...but my trailer needs tires and I need to crawl under the trailer and check bearings and lights and all of that too before I commit to a 5 hour drive. I am also going to need to contact the condo that I am staying at (after the install) and make sure that there is somewhere to park the boat during our vacation.

And trust me....I don't mind tinkering on things that I know a lot about but this boat is not something that I know a lot about. I would much rather be hauling a little but around the lake rather then wrenching and scratching my head wondering wth is going on. So I am going to do some research before I dive off into a project like this one alone. Which is really the whole reason for me joining this forum.

THANKS AGAIN and Jodi, I will be in touch to talk as soon as I can,

OLIVJ

Jeremy Oliver
2001 Nautique
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 1:34pm
Jody, for the record, I clearly did not submit it as advice. I asked it as a question, to which you could clearly give advice in many different styles.

My read was that the guy drained the water, and only gave up when he saw milky oil, not that it sat with water for a year. Now, water drained or in there, if that amount of time would mean it is too rusted, that is good information to learn.

Never did I say don't buy Jody's engine until you try this. Go back and re-read.

I am just trying to learn.

olivj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 12:24pm
Jodi looking forward to meeting with you...
THANKS, Jeremy
Jeremy Oliver
2001 Nautique
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 2:29pm
Jeremy,
For what it is worth, 5 years ago I bought my boat (92 SN) with a blown head gasket at a discounted price. After examining the motor, doing my homework on repair/ replacement options, I decided to rebuild. Other than the rebuild of the motor, I did all work myself, (Pulling motor, disconnecting, securing and delivery to machine shop, re-installing, tuning ETC.) which took time, effort and knowledge. (Most the knowledge was obtained here!!) It cost (5 years ago) $1800 for the rebuild, and roughly another $750 misc. (Coil pack bad, new filters, belts, hoses, etc.) Even when I finally had her back in the water, there were "adjustment" challenges. I am happy now, and happy that I did it, but $2000 for a swap, install and the experienced shop behind, is very impressive. Good luck whatever you do!
Js
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 3:33pm
The bad engine and wow!!! Is it bad,Really Glad that Jeremy Brought it over to be replaced. Now we have to educate him about correct wiring and family safety!!

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Now we have to educate him about correct wiring and family safety!!

Time to Un-Leash the PETE!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic