Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Alternator 3G Upgrade Wiring Diagram Question(s)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator 3G Upgrade Wiring Diagram Question(s)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator 3G Upgrade Wiring Diagram Question(s)
    Posted: April-07-2015 at 8:34pm
Hello Guys!

I'm upgrading my alternator to a 1 wire setup...my boat has had 30+ years of backyard garage work done to it so I took sometime and drew up how I intend the final outcome to be before I reconnect the battery. Please let me know if this looks correct or if my boat is going to burn down to the bottom of the sea. Any help or conformation would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 1981 SN w/ 351W RH
Mallroy dizzy - YLU554DV with Mallory ballast resistor
Upgrading my battery cables to 1guage..I hope this isn't overkill in an unproductive way.
Cable from alt is a 4 gauge wire.
I have a stereo with 2 amps pushing 1200w max.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 9:20pm
As far as the gauge wire, there is no such thing as too thick, as long as it's not too cumbersome to fit throughout the openings it needs to fit through.
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 9:54pm
Woohoo! I got one thing right...correctcraftfans, do I have TWO things right?!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 12:00am
Let's see here, I'll post the standard diagram and do some comparisons:

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 12:02am
I would say you're good as long as the alternator doesn't need additional grounding (it's probably covered through the bracket but just to mention).

I don't see anything obviously wrong. You'll know for sure when you start it up and put a VOM on your battery.
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 11:47am
Thanks for the reply Brian,

I'm guessing it's grounded through the frame as well, it's truly a one wire hook up like it claims. I've read of a few others doing this upgrade (hopefully an "upgrade") but haven't heard of any horror/success stories in the boating world, many success stories in the auto world. I can say I really like the way it cleans up the engine compartment, removed external voltage regulator all together, which does away with a lot of wiring. I've been battling voltage spike issues since I've had the boat. I also installed Mallory 29371 Circuit Guard inline with the distributor feeds. All is ready to rock, just waiting on my battery cables which should be here friday. My fingers are crossed, I want to ski SO badly!
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 2:29pm
This forum continues to amaze me with the wealth of information. The timing is perfect as well. I am preparing to rewire a Fish Nautique using a 100A one wire alternator and one wire Davis Unified Distributor (two wires counting the tach output). Anyway thanks to the contributors of this posts as both of these diagrams are most helpful.

Steve
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 1:59pm
After replacing new module in my dizzy, removing voltage regulator, and updating to a 1 wire HO alternator, she turned over and ran great first turn of the key (what a great feeling). I get a constant 14.5 at the battery at idle and higher RPM's. Hopefully this will fix all the electronic issue I've been struggling with over the past couple years, time will tell.

Ryan.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 5:37pm
Good news. That sounds like good output. Hopefully it all works out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic