Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oil pressure sending unit

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jjojr1940 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjojr1940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil pressure sending unit
    Posted: April-22-2015 at 12:42am
Is there a specific application for the oil pressure sending unit on a 1965 Interceptor SBF. We did a rebuild and this one just seems to want to pin the gauge at 80 lbs . ? I'm not the wiring guy (not a clue actually) , but I think we have it wired right. Any info I can relay to him is appreciated.
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 10:14am
Originally posted by jjojr1940 jjojr1940 wrote:

Is there a specific application for the oil pressure sending unit on a 1965 Interceptor SBF. We did a rebuild and this one just seems to want to pin the gauge at 80 lbs . ? I'm not the wiring guy (not a clue actually) , but I think we have it wired right. Any info I can relay to him is appreciated.

The application of the sending unit is based on the gauge, not the engine. The most likely causes for what you are describing are:

-An oil pressure switch (for an idiot light)is installed.

-The installed oil pressure sender has the wrong resistance range.

-The sender is defective.

A common sender resistance range used in marine oil pressure gauges is 33-240 ohms. A sender with the a 33-240ohm range is available on skidim for $37. Otherwise, if you want to find a cheaper substitute, they have them on ebay for about $19.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 7:41pm
John,
Did you change the sender when you rebuilt the engine? If so, does it match the Ohm range of the gauge? You may have S/W gauges so check. DO NOT go buying a 33-240 sender from Skidim until you check.

If your gauge pegs at max, then you don't have any resistance on the sender wire. It may be wired incorrectly or a bad sender. Remove the wire from the sender and Ohm between the sender terminal and ground (the engine block). You should get resistance with the engine running or not.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jjojr1940 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjojr1940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 9:12pm
Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure my guy gets the info.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by jjojr1940 jjojr1940 wrote:

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure my guy gets the info.

John,
The guy you have wiring will have a VOM so Ohming out the sender will be easy for him. Did you install a new sender? Do you have the S/W gauges?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic