NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

freeze plugs pushed out

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: freeze plugs pushed out
    Posted: April-23-2015 at 12:55pm
I dug my boat out of hibernation this morning and discovered that two freeze plugs on the starboard side were pushed out at some point during the off season. The manifolds and block were drained in the fall prior to the cold stuff. No antifreeze was added at that time as we normally don't need to do that in SC.

No attempt has been made to turn the boat over.

What's the recommended course of action at this point? How do you reinstall the freeze plugs? I want to believe that the block didn't crack, but I suppose the only way of knowing is to get the freeze plugs back in and crank it up correct?

Oil is clean at this time, but I'd guess that water would only show up after an attempt to crank and only if the block were compromised, yes?

Suggestions?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 12:57pm
Damn. Probe the drain holes and see if they were plugged up and failed to drain properly. The casting plugs can be hammered back in. I probably do that then run it and cross my fingers.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 1:01pm
I betttttt it will be fine. We had a 94 sport that came in this winter after being frozen outside for literally months. It didn't even push all the plugs out somehow. When we pulled the block plugs there was literally ice cubes sticking out of the holes. The only thing that cracked were the manifolds and the bottom of the thermostat (manifold side) housing. Manifolds and a new intake and we were in business.

I have pushed me drivers read plug out a few times behind the starter with no issues.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 1:02pm
We had that happen once with our 351 and there was no damage. The only thing I can think of is that because of the angle of the engine, not all the water drains out. I now add about a half gallon of anti freeze and pull the plugs to purge any remaining water out, after the block has been drained. We lost the freeze plug by the starter.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 1:07pm
I nose mine all the way down on my parents inclined driveway with a floor jack. Plug has never popped since.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 1:14pm
thanks for the encouraging words.

One of the plugs is the one just over the starter, the other is the one just to the front of that.

When you say push them in, do you mean manually? If not, how do you install? The one in the front, will be the most difficult to get at b/c of the motor mount.

Should any type of sealant be applied around them?

When I do get them in, I'll hook the hose up and give it a try. Is there any reason to be cautious at that point with cranking? If the block is cracked then it's cracked or would I not want to be quick to crank to save internals for a rebuild?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 1:20pm
Use some high temp copper seal. Works well with the rust that happens around there. Get a big socket the same size as the ID of the plug and a small hammer to tap it back in,

If you are feeling real froggy go to the auto parts store and get some new brass ones.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 1:23pm
We got a new brass one and tapped it in with a socket attached to an extension. We had to drop the starter to get at it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 1:27pm
Yeah, what Bruce and Zach said. I'd clean up the casting hole with emery cloth if it's rusty. No sealant unless the fit is loose... It should take a bit of force to go in, it's just a press fit.
KennyStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 1:31pm
sometime you can find plumber plugs , that fit the hole for testing. they have T handel to tight them., if there is a chance of water coming back up basement drains during flooding. you can buy kits with different sizes. ive used them on 283 chevy engines.. had two cracked blocks, in a 1963 chris craft roamer
kenny
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 2:06pm
for marine engines when i install freeze plugs i always put a light coat of permatex aviation form-a-gasket on them and hammer them in. its expensive stuff but greta to have around. i also use it on all of the manifold plugs when i replace them and any raw water elbos or nipples. its flexible but holds strong.
keep in mind you cannot just hammer in your old freeze pugs, buy new ones. they are cheap.
I would do as everyone says. just put new ones back in and run it and hope everythings ok.
they are there as a sort of fuse-able link that is made to fail before the casting does. but thats not always the case. so remember the fingers crossed part.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 2:17pm
My 74 351 also had popped one maybe 5 years ago. Replaced and no trouble since.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 2:17pm
This happened to me a few years ago. The engine was fine. I went to auto parts store and just bought the metal/ rubber replacement with the bolt in the center. Turn the bolt which compresses the rubber and forms a good seal. It's a lot easier than trying to hammer the original plug back in given the close quarters.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 5:22pm
The bolt in plugs are a very easy install but keep in mind they will eliminate the freeze plug function. Once bolted in they will stay in. I don't think they will push out like a real freeze plug does when the block freezes. The freeze plug may have saved your engine this year,   Put one back in for future freezes.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 5:42pm
After this last winters deep freeze and as far south it got I believe we will be seeing a lot of frozen blocks.
As I don't wish this bad luck on anyone I am sitting here grinning like a butchers dog waiting for the right boat to show up for sale with a cracked block as I happen to have an extra motor sitting in the garage
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 5:51pm
Steve,
Do not reuse the original plugs - buy new and install as suggested above. I have always used a wood dowel or cut broom handle and hammer to drive in.
Good luck
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 11:56pm
Steve,
I suggest getting a couple new core plugs. They aren't expensive even in brass. New ones haven't been compressed so they will fit tighter. I don't suggest plumbers test plugs. They aren't designed for hotter engine temps. The rubber with the toggle that holds them in are better but should be only used for an emergency. Brass is permanent and rubber isn't!! It been mentioned that they also eliminate freeze protection. Well, keep in mind those plugs on the engine block are NOT "freeze" plugs and were NEVER intended to provide any freeze protection. They are there to plug the holes left over from the casting process used to hold the core to form the water cavity.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 4:14am
The fact that Freeze plugs are pushed out when the block does freeze shows these plugs do offer some freeze protection, not perfect but better than nothing, regardless of why the manufacturer installed them in the sand castings when the block was cast.
It is still far better to winterize the engine rather than hope the freeze plugs save you when the cold comes. Many boat blocks have cracked in freeze conditions and the plugs did not save them but they do work sometimes Maybe it depends on how cold they actually get or how fast they get cold when the freeze does hit.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 4:52am
We call them "Welch" plugs downunder
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 9:15am
Pete: that's funny, I was wondering yesterday when you'd pipe in with your regular " not really freeze plugs" reply
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 9:50am
Funny Mark on how English is different all over the world. When I had a Triumph motorcycle the manual said to rinse an oil screen in paraffin,I remember thinking, won't that clog it up? I'll just use gas instead!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 10:01am
I had this happen a few years ago on my '76 Southwind. I fired it up in the driveway for the first time during the year without realizing one of the plugs had popped out during the winter. I just hammered it back in, and fired the engine up. No damage. I have to wonder if thermal expansion/contraction plays a role in this happening vs. water pushing it out!?!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'll just use gas instead!

Don't you mean Petrol
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 10:38am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 3:11pm
Thanks for the input fellas. This one is going to require more time, tools, knowledge and experience than I can allot to it so I'm going to let a professional handle it. One of the freeze plugs that popped out is right above the motor mount and I just can't get to it w/o removing that mount.

I suppose it''ll be a good time to have a few smaller things addressed while it's in for that.

Many thanks for the assistance though. I'll report back, hopefully with good news, about the outcome.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

I'm going to let a professional handle it. .

Sounds like I am on deck for this repair.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2015 at 4:33pm
Steve
Any progress on the repair?
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 6:42pm
I was able to replace these with new brass plugs, seal with copper sealant and run it today. Ran it hard. No evidence of milky oil or anything else that might be amiss. Greatly appreciate all of the comments.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 10:10am
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 10:27am
Got it fixed up just in time to sell?   Sounds like a CCF intervention is needed. That one's a beauty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic