Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GoPro mount

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
littleskierox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littleskierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GoPro mount
    Posted: May-02-2015 at 9:18pm
How many of use GoPros that you mount to the pylons, we are thinking about getting one for Skierox and are wondering if anyone has made a mounting system for both pylon types. If not is there a method you guys use or is jerry-rigging something up the best option?
My escape is to just get in a boat and disappear on the water.

a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2015 at 1:53pm
Check out this company. You might be able to adapt their mount.

Mount
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2015 at 3:17pm
Go to the White Lake Reunion Thread and try to contact Adam Dean. He had some kind of mount on top of his FCT Tower on his 2000 Pro Air that I am guessing is for a Go Pro. But with Adam only the Good Lord knows what in the heck he is up to. LOL !!!! His screen name is:
IAughtNaut.
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2015 at 3:39pm
John jd333 had a mountain that went on his windshield, might also want to look into that
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2015 at 4:25pm
Adam has a tower mount that was made by tracker. I had a tracker that was a pylon mount and sold it as I did not think it was worth the effort on the pylon.
A GoPro (at least mine) does not have a zoom feature so if you are doing much behind the boat it will be fair at best.
I have a roll bar mount on my tower which works pretty good but the videos are on an angle. I also have a suction cup mount that is my preferred mount. Easily transferred for boom action or the back of the transom or to another boat.
You can check out my thread on here about my Mustang and it will give you an idea of what it look like mounted on the transom (you can judge how the rooster tail looks and think of a skier behind that) or the learning to barefoot thread and my recent vid's are from the gunnels.
No matter what way you go spend the extra bucks and get the floaty that attaches to the back door of the housing.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 9:28am
GoPro has many mounts that should work fine. I think the rollbar mount might work so long as the pole is 2.5" in dia or less.

I use the suction cup mount on the transom all the time with great results.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 9:49am
The GoPro camera is not really suited to behind the boat action. As stated no zoom, more of a wide angle lens. Great for boom work though.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
gmars70970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 12:26am
I put the gopro on top of my tower last summer. As you said there's no zoom so it's pretty far away. Although the new gopro editing software now let's you zoom in & save on your computer.

Here's a clip of our first attempt.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 8:24am
Hmm. My Hero 3 has 3 different fields of view when filming video. Narrow, normal, and wide. Narrow is closer than wide and GoPro's Cineform editing software does allow for zooming in further when editing.(although you sacrifice video quality the further you zoom in).

spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2015 at 12:50pm
I'm hoping the collective brains on this site will help to perfect my latest project. I wanted a ski pylon camera mount that would track...but didn't really want to spend $50+. So I got 3" pvc sewer pipe and a 3" sewer pipe cap (it's flat instead of rounded like normal pipe caps), 1/4-20 x 1" screw to attach the camera. I made the pipe 5" long and cut a hole big enough to fit the rope (and knot). I've considered a slot, but the hole helps to keep the mount from moving up and down. I also found a mount (not pictured) to allow for the camera to be angled up and down.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to take up the space between the pvc and the pylon without creating too much friction.

Option 1: put layers of felt on the inside. after some tests, it seems like it might take around 8-10 layers of felt. Not sure the best way to adhere the materials for longevity.

Option 2: use packing foam. I can cut out the 3" hole pretty easily, but when cutting out the 2.5" hole for the pylon, the foam gets thin. The sampling I made did work, but there was still a little slop due to one side being thinner than the other.

Option 3: wrap the pylon with wax paper, then use expanding foam to fill the void.

Option 4: use a few screws 3/4" up from the bottom with the ends coated in plastic to take up the slack (like the way a globe is attached to a light fixture). I think this might either create to much friction or will mar the pylon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

hdspringer99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdspringer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 1:49am
Nicely done. Care if I borrow your idea?
77 Ski Nautique
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 2:03am
if it doesn't turn well with the angle of the rope that close to the pylon you could try adding 4-6in of sleeve from the pvc to feed the rope through.

Greg is correct, I have a tower mounted tracker mount that is awesome. they make pylon models but as you say, more than $50. I'm pretty sure my dad (jackiewdeen) has one that he was looking to sell, but it's an under the tower model, if I remember correctly.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 2:03am
cool idea either way. I hope it works.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 2:09am
Originally posted by hdspringer99 hdspringer99 wrote:

Nicely done. Care if I borrow your idea?

Steal away! I'll work on the slop over the next couple days. I got some video and it worked pretty darn well, but I'm embarrassed of my horrible boarding/skiing. Must have been an off day.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 9:14am
Pretty slick

s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 12:28pm
Nice work! I think option 4 with the screws is going to end up scratching your pylon eventually. Similar to option 1, how about some foam weather stripping? It is self adhesive and might work pretty well if you can find the right thickness.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by s_kelley2000 s_kelley2000 wrote:

Nice work! I think option 4 with the screws is going to end up scratching your pylon eventually. Similar to option 1, how about some foam weather stripping? It is self adhesive and might work pretty well if you can find the right thickness.

Agreed option 4 isn't what i want to do either. The weather stripping is a fantastic idea. Thank You!!! I have plenty of it leftover from this past winter too, so I'll give that a shot tonight. In the meanwhile, here are some better close ups with the better mount (the mount came with the Nabi camera...$50 on woot last year). . here is the link to the drain cap i used for the top...but I'm starting to think the rounded might be better with the rounded top of the pylon. I think I'll also try using a dremel with a sanding wheel to widen the pylon cutout instead of a drywall saw.

I also pieced together videos with the best footage of the mount in operation for the short time we were out.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 1:39pm
I really like that PVC cap idea and may tinker with it myself. Well done. In the mounted on the boat pics, the hole looks like it would be a struggle to get the rope through, but on the close up, it looks a little bigger. I think I would lean towards a slot, rather than a hole just to make on and off and rope changes easier. I don't think you would have to worry about the mount popping off in rough water, but I guess it could happen., maybe make it longer. There could be some way to lock it down with the slot alternative.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 2:03pm
The rope was easy to get on and off, once the knot is pulled through, you can affix it to the pylon normally, then it just pulls back through. I haven't ruled out making a slot and will have a better idea once I get the voids filled with the foam. I also haven't glued the cap on (and may not) so I can keep tweaking it.

My wakeboard rope (the smaller hole on the other side) is 25/64" and the slalom rope hole i made 1/2" then slowly widened it so the knot just barely fits thinking that would minimize the time between the rope moving and the mount following, but in retrospect, the wide angled lens negates the need for that lag.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2015 at 1:43pm
OK, sorry for the delay on the tests. I was able to get out on the water Thursday to get some turns. Then the gestating parasite in my wife decided it was time to bask in the earthly sunlight (we had our first child ).

I ended up trying different connection methods with the pylon. My original hole sized for the rope, a large slot and a narrow slot. I was able to use a drill press with drum sander to get the foam to the right thickness to take up the slack. I made it a little wider than the pylon to reduce friction. The downside to the hole, once the foam was in place, it was difficult to put the rope through the hole and then on the pylon, so I put the mount on, passed the rope, then capped it off. So more cumbersome than just slipping the mount over, but not a big deal if i just leave it always connected. This means that I won't be gluing the cap to the pvc.

My pylon for frame of reference as others might have something slightly different.

Original style (cap is not glued down) with foam cutouts for cap and sleeve. The foam in the cap helps to protect the pylon from the screw and keeps it centered on the ball.

First slot design. The slot is waaaaay to wide, the camera would lag in the tracking.

Played with the size of the slot. Did a free hand cut instead of a router with fence cut like the one above. The smaller of the two is 1/4" straight bit and provided the best tracking response, but couldn't get the foam sized without it being too restrictive or too sloppy.

Vid while using the original style and shaped foam. It was getting late and my wife was anxious about getting back to the dock at night.

Tower Mount
The tower mount is very similar but i used a 2" coupler with female threaded cap. To me it worked out better than expected without any foam. The installation is similar to the pylon where the rope passes through first, then attached to the tow point.

I forgot to remove the audio, so you may want to turn down your volume before you start. I also only have one tripod adapter right now, but i have one on order from amazon ($1.89) so that will help to center the skier, but even without the pivot, not too shabby.

I think i'll stay with this setup for a while to really get a good feel for their performance and if anything changes, ill try and remember to get it posted.

Pylon Materials:
3" pvc sewer pipe
3" pvc sewer cap
1/4-20 1/2" screw (trimmed down from 1")
Dense Packing foam
Tripod Adapter

Tower Materials:
2" pvc female adapter
2" pvc male cap
1/4-20 1/2" Screw (trimmed down from 1')
Tripod Adapter

This whole project with extra materials has been less than $20.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 4:28am
This is a great idea thanks for sharing :)
'82 Ski Tique
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 6:02pm
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 10:49pm
Using gopro rollbar mount attached to bi boom handle
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 10:58pm
Gopro suction cup on transom...75' rope...its not bad on a 50" hdtv
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 11:11pm
Rollbar mount
This is the life
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 12:06am
Andy,
I have both the roll bar and suction cup mounts and prefer the suction cup when on the 5' line. I have the boom out the drivers side and it makes it easy to turn the GoPro on/ off between sets.
My daughter just got the new GoPro that syncs with the phone - need to try that out on a future trip
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic