Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

76 Ski Tique Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ryanibanez88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 76 Ski Tique Alternator
    Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:01pm
I believe my alternator has gone out it is original tell me if im wrong while the engine is running i disconnect the battery and the engine dies the alternator is not supplying power correct? and how should i go about replacement im pretty sure it has an external voltage regulator Thanks in advanced
Ryan
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 7:45pm
Ryan,
NEVER EVER disconnect the battery with the engine running on a alternator engine. It puts the alternator into full field. if the alternator wasn't screwed up before, chances are high it sure is now!! Disconnecting the battery is an old school back yard hack method that used to be used when we ran generators. If someone told you to do it, run if he makes another testing suggestion. Get the alternator off and into a reputable auto supply (not Autozone) and they can test it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 8:24pm
Thanks ill do that asap
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 8:41pm
Ryan,
You didn't mention what problems you are experiencing?? Some other things to check are, the condition of the battery, condition of the cables and their terminals. Hopefully you have a starting battery and not a deep cycle. The deeps really don't like the high amp draw of a starter. They are made for low amp draws over an extended period of time like from a trolling motor. One good check is to see what voltage drop you get from the battery to the starter during cranking. With the starter disconnected, energize the coil in the start relay and Ohm out the contacts. They may be burnt and pitted. I see you are an electronics tech so these tests should come real easy. Get back to us with the results.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 8:46pm
Sounds good ill check it out i have an Optima yellow top in it now thanks for the help its hard to get straight info on a classic like mine
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 10:03am
Hey Peter thanks for all the help i had another Noob question its time for another oil change i have a 302 pcm rebuilt with maybe 15 hours on it i have a case of AMS Oil Z-ROD® 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil do you think that would be safe to run in it here is the oil description also running a Napa oil filter

Z-ROD® 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
Modern Technology For Classic Cars
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles. A high-zinc formulation to prevent wear on flat-tappet camshafts and other critical engine components, along with a proprietary blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors for added protection during long-term storage.

Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 10:49am
Amsoil Z Rod is fine for flat appet motors
I've tried it myself and liked it but it is pricey. The 10-30 is probably a little thin for a marine engine. If you like Amsoil I would suggest the Z Rod 20-50.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 11:09am
Thanks Eddie i already have a case of it i think i would like to try it what problems would i encounter running 10-30 vs 20-50
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 12:01pm
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 12:28pm
here is the oil specs it has high enough content from what i read in the oil thread yall still think its to thin
10W30 Amsoil Z-Rod Oil synthetic = 95,360 psi
zinc = 1431 ppm
phos = 1441 ppm
ZDDP = 1400 ppm
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 12:44pm
Here is my tique BTW
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by ryanibanez88 ryanibanez88 wrote:

Thanks Eddie i already have a case of it i think i would like to try it what problems would i encounter running 10-30 vs 20-50

Low oil pressure. It'll work just fine, but you're in Texas. It's hot. I'm in Fl where it's also hot. On my new rebuild, I was only getting 5-10 PSI at idle when warmed up with the 10W-30. 20W-50 brought the pressure back up where it should be.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 7:14pm
Ryan,
I agree with Eddie on both using the oil and going to a heavier weight like the 20-50.

Great looking Tique!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 7:19pm
Okay guys thanks i guess ill save the amsoil for my 78 C10
haven't had a chance to pull the alternator yet probably do it this weekend
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by ryanibanez88 ryanibanez88 wrote:

haven't had a chance to pull the alternator yet probably do it this weekend

Ryan,
You never said what problems you are actually having with the alternator.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 7:40pm
the engine died after disconnecting the battery while running so i figured it was a bad alternator i was told this was a test from a not so good mechanic but it was probably just fine but now id like to take it off and have it checked out so im not stuck in the middle of the lake this summer ill look at the points too i always keep a spare set of points and condenser in the boat they are cheap parts to have on hand
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 7:50pm
Ok, it all revolves around the "test" this mechanic told you to perform! I thought you had other symptoms and you were having actual charging problems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 7:58pm
yes sir we will see if i have problems now
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 11:18pm

Dose this look like a normal shaft and packing pete
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 12:20am
Ryan,
Yes, that's the normal shaft gland. Is there something that's concerning you?

Are you going to check the alignment? I highly recommend it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 12:44am
Ryan: this might sound stupid but never overlook the simplest things. I'd had some charging/starting issues on my 74 and thought it might be something big like a failed alternator. Was out with Morfoot one day and he noticed the belt was a bit loose, which I had failed to notice. Tightened it up and all's well ever since.........

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 12:48am
I hear that 74 it's probably due for a tightening they were new last summer
And Peter I send you another massage
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
caricoa28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caricoa28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 9:53pm
Hey guys, Can I swing the conversation back to the alternator???? I have a 77 tique, and shes tired but she still runs. Thing is, when I first got her I noticed that the battery wasnt charging, so I took the alternator in to have it tested and it was barely working... so instead of fixing it so they sold me a single wire alternator.   I can almost hear what your thinking.. cause after I installed it I was thinking the same thing.. my gauges dont work, and now my wiring harness is just hanging there.   Is there any way I can get my gauges and wiring back to working order without tracking down someone who is selling an original alternator???   I have a nice shiny single wire chrome one for trade!!!
Steve
Lodi , Ca
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 10:00pm
No what I'm thinking is I wonder if it was replaced with a marine alternator or an auto parts store one do you still have the old one? Get it rebuilt
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
caricoa28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caricoa28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 10:15pm
I dont have the old one anymore, the guys told me it was junk. The one I have is actually solid chrome that would go into a show car or something, so I dont think its marine either.
Steve
Lodi , Ca
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 12:00am
Steve,
Take the fancy chromed alternator back to the store. You told them it was for marine use and they sold you the wrong one. Yes, a one wire can be used with slight mods to the wiring. If you decide to use a one wire, ask for a wiring diagram. Most simply get the one wire hooked up to the main breaker from the battery.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 11:39am
Hmmm. Years ago, first year I had my Tique, I put a "replacement" (i.e. new to me, not new) alternator in. I had the "regular" set up to start, but was told the one wire delco would work. I put it in, worked fine, all gauges worked with no modifications to wiring. I just snipped off the two (?) extra wires at the alternator. That was about 10 seasons ago. Wonder why the simple replacement didn't work for you. I wouldn't mind a chrome alternator (to go with my chrome covers) (and I occasionally ponder chrome pullies (sorry Pete). But since mine is fine and I don't like to spend money that I don't have too, I guess I'll have to pass....well that and the fact that its not "intrinsically" safe. Sounds to me like you have reasonable cause to take it back.
caricoa28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caricoa28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 11:48am
Well its just the gauges im having a problem with now.. the alternator works great, but the only gauge that works now is the fuel gauge. Ill have to dig deeper, maybe theres a bigger problem im not seeing yet
Steve
Lodi , Ca
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by caricoa28 caricoa28 wrote:

Ill have to dig deeper, maybe theres a bigger problem im not seeing yet

Yup, get the VOM out and report back. Check the 12V going to all of them. They are all daisy chained.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2015 at 3:34am
Anyone know the type or model number of the alternator on a 76 tique with a pcm 302
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic