NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

muffler?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: muffler?
    Posted: May-09-2015 at 12:18pm
I'm laying out my exhaust on my fish and I have two mufflers, one is i'm guessing the 78 style and one is a newer primex style.
Its probably no big deal and i should ignore it and put it together and go fishing, but i know it will bother me looking at two different silencers sitting in my bilge every time i open the hatch to turn the batteries on.
Maybe someone has one laying around and is willing to ship me out a matching one because they went straight pipes. I'm in MA
What i am trying to match is a primex silencer which measures about 44" overall. and fits a 3" hose.

-Tony
978-807-5390
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2015 at 2:18pm
Tony,
Why do you even have the mufflers!

"turn the batteries on"?? I thought you just re wired the Fish! Maybe a parasitic load test would be the next project??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2015 at 2:25pm
yeah i always shut the batteries off when leaving the boat thats just common sense. there wouldnt be any load unless the hot wired bilge pumps were operating. the battery switch will kill all power but that.

plus i need to mount the exhaust first before i finish looming behind the motor and so i can build my battery trays in the right location. so they dont interfere with the trim tab pump and switch while still leaving room for the mufflers.
mufflers serve more purpose than simple sound suppression in my eyes. and since there isnt enough room for me to really mount a surge chamber without major modifications i will be relying on the mufflers to help that out.   
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2015 at 4:04pm
Don't mind Pete Tony he only boats insight of land on water he could drink

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2015 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Don't mind Pete Tony he only boats insight of land on water he could drink

And who was it that installed a battery disconnect that boats on a river where he could swim to shore?? I might add a cheap disconnect that was prone to failure!! BTW, I sure wouldn't drink that water from the river you're on!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2015 at 4:45pm
Tony,
Sorry but I don't understand the common sense you refer to. For me, common sense would be to find out what's draining the batteries. A parasitic test is simple. You are also disconnecting before leaving shore and safe or do you also disconnect when out at sea??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2015 at 4:58pm
disconnect while its on the mooring and or while its on the trailer, and if i'm at the beach listening to the radio or on anchor i will leave it turned onto one battery so theres always one to start with.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2015 at 5:02pm
Not sure what kind of disconnect your referring to but my 1980s GUEST switch still works without a single issue, and is fully serviceable if it were to get submerged and is made in the USA. i've never in my career had a battery switch fail.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2015 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

Not sure what kind of disconnect your referring to but my 1980s GUEST switch still works without a single issue, and is fully serviceable if it were to get submerged and is made in the USA. i've never in my career had a battery switch fail.

Please note that the disconnect failure was directed to Gary in the post where I quoted him.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 4:44pm
Tony:

See below. Just bought a set of these SS mufflers for my Fish. They are "3 in diameter and 11 1/2" long. $179 / pair. Now if you want something else to worry about - check your fuel tank. Lots of galvanic corrosion on my 86/87. Just ordered a new 85 Gallon tank from the original manufacturer who did the fabrication work for Correct Craft.

Here is the link to stainless steel marine inline mufflers. Available in 3", 3.5", and 4".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Marine-...-/251313933187

Steve
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 6:38pm
wow those are cool, but they dont look like they are designed for wet exhaust. but then again i havent seem a heck of a whole lot of marine mufflers on the inside.
You should probably post some pictures and a video of before and after of it running.
just sayin.
those would be a nice space saver though. I would have to order up some more hose if i went that route because i bought just enough to install a 40ish inch long muffler.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 2:55pm
so where are all these loud pipes save lives guys now that i'm looking for a muffler and they all deleted them. i know they didnt go bad or get tossed in lieu of straight pipes.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 3:19pm
They installed the mufflers in their grandmas Nautique. In all honesty I bet the Hull Huggers and Invertaflos are the majority ones changed but they do go bad and would be a pita to fit in Fish.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 3:39pm
I think you are smart to keep the mufflers when one spends that much time in the boat underway. A full day on the water is tiring enough without fatigue of that extra rapp.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I think you are smart to keep the mufflers when one spends that much time in the boat underway. A full day on the water is tiring enough without fatigue of that extra rapp.

agreed, and because of the limited space in the fishs' lazaret not allowing for a proper surge chamber without some time consuming custom work i really feel anything hindering the backflow of seawater is going to be a help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 7:32pm

without some time consuming custom work

???????

Do you have a screwdriver?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 1:33am
In my experience those are only worth as much security as you pay for them, and for $30 trust me i already have them. my other boat had pieces of 1/2" rubber screwed tight to the outside of the scuppers. water would rush in those like it was their job half the time.
the only time they stop stuff is when water hits them from straight on or from the top, which is like never.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 2:52am
Proper Fish muffler orientation.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 3:11am
haha yes, i saw that. I ven thought of driving down and getting those ones. its not far from me
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 8:26am

so where are all these loud pipes save lives guys now that i'm looking for a muffler and they all deleted them. i know they didnt go bad or get tossed in lieu of straight pipes.

Most of us LPSL guys didn't delete the mufflers, we never had them in the first place.

Can't recall what year they started coming equipped with mufflers.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic