NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1989 2001 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1989 2001 SN
    Posted: May-11-2015 at 2:38pm
Hello,

New to the forum and CC. I just purchased a 1989 2001 SN with 351W and 1.23. Original trailer with brakes. saw the boat, Stringers felt good, floor was near perfect and engine hours show 480 and motor looks consistent with gauge. Motor starts instantly and sounds very smooth, It was winterized last fall and used on occasion through the years. New steering cable and alternator. oil dirty, but just through lack of season ending change by look of it. Decided to risk pulling home from KY to OH and got about half way and right bearing went. (lesson learned) fortunately I discovered it before wheel came off and dropped the boat at a place that was secure and safe to leave it. Most likely will need the Hub, bearing kit and maybe an axle. Thinking of dropping the brakes from the trailer as my tow vehicle can handle it with ease. Local shop is repairing / replacing parts and I can get the unit home.

Once home I am looking for ideas to make sure the boat is good to go for the season. Aside from changing the oil, and checking plugs and verifying belts and hoses are good any suggestions?

Thanks

1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 3:31pm
Check the prop and cutlass bearing. Turn the prop, should turn pretty easily by hand and there shouldn't be much play between the shaft and the bearing. Looks like a nice boat. I ditched the brakes on my '92 trailer many years ago. If they ever give me a problem on my '89 they will be gutted also.
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 4:43pm
Welcome.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 5:16pm
tower off
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 12:07pm
Welcome Russ! Always glad to see another Mid-Westerner on here.
Sorry to hear about the trailer woes - been there, done that.. No fun

Beyond the other recommendations and items you've identified, I would recommend that you start the season off with a new RWP impeller. Few things can drive you crazier than cooling issues.

Also ensure that you check the motor mounts. They should be quite snug and not spin freely.

Also, once you get beyond the engine preventative maintenance, you'll want to check the drip rate for your stuffing box and rudder box before heading across the lake or down river.

BTW, I agree with Hollywood - it's a beautiful boat, but that tower looks pretty fugly   
'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 1:22pm
The motor mounts won't tell you much about the stingers, they are bolted to the aluminum engine cradle. You could check the lags from the cradle to the stringers.

Fresh fluids, fuel filter/separater, RWP impeller and packing gland inspections are great suggestions.

Steering and control cables move freely? Lights, blower and bilge pump work? Fire extinguisher on board? Make sure you're not leaking fuel anywhere.
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 2:47pm
Thanks. As Hollywood mentioned, I did check stringers and they seem good. Impeller is a good idea. We will test the waters with the tower for a bit as my boys are avid wakeboarders and skates. As far as I'm concerned stock is good. Other suggestions are good and make sense.. This is my first inboard. After a lifetime of I/O . So it feels like something's are old hat, but for some I'm a newbie. This boat will spend a lot of time in MI around and on Lakes Mecosta, round and blue.

I'll condition teak on platform and rails as well as update the instrument panel as the lights and button area is somewhat beat up.. I will also add the nifty hose adapter I have seen here so I can have easy attachment while in the driveway to start and service.

Any suggestions on what fuel to use or NOT to use? Eth-free?

Also looking to replace or at least have a backup prop that is mainly an all around prop.   Suggestions?

Thanks and hope to spend time getting to know all.   
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 3:09pm
I have a few props for sale, check them out. The only one that wouldn't work well for you is the (left hand) 543.

There is also a recent fuel thread going on. I've never had a problem with any fuel octane or ethanol. No matter what the fuel, burn it as fast as you can!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

the tall Fram mounted at the front of the engine, you can get it from SkiDIM: SkiDIM fram filter. The Wix equivalent is 33436.
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 3:23pm
Well, I was very fortunate. Trailer only needed bearings and the Hub was fine!!!

relief, but I still need to pour over the trailer and bring it up to snuff. Looks like first run will be Memorial day weekend.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 8:36pm
Great PM suggestions above. I would also change out the fuel water separator filter, unless the PO recently changed it.    SkiDim has them.

You will love the boat.   It's like driving a marine Ferrari. Your boys will like the wake too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 11:32am
Cleaned, brightened and oiled Teak on rails. came out very nice. Astonished actually at the difference. Now starting the swim deck - it will take a bit more effort but will look good when completed. Question?????   Should I approach the top and bottom of the swim deck in the same manner or is there an added recommendation for protecting and sealing the bottom?

Fluids changed, found record that impeller was changed in fall so skipped, Waxed hull, cleaned carpet,

Waiting on fuel / water spin on filter (18-785) to change that out. Cleaned raw water filter and ordered an extra O-ring (just in case)

Got a West Marine version of a Fake-a-Lake and really question how much water gets flows as it seems most is flying out under the boat. Had water flowing out of back but was cautious. Quick connect T under Hood is in the works for sure.

For oil I went to the Mobil 1 15W-50 with the Fram part XG8A (seems Xtended name is no longer used)

Having a little difficulty getting some of the more stubborn mildew spots and stains off Vinyl. Any suggestions?   

Hope you all enjoyed your Memorial day weekend.

throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 9:29am
For the vinyl, I use Simple Green with the finest steel wool you can get. soak the wool with simple green keep the seats wet and scrub it well. after the cleaning is done, make sure the vinyl is dry and free of residue, use Armour All or turtle wax 2001 dressing. I like to apply it super liberally and let it set in for a bit before I return with a clean cloth and wipe it down. Those seats will look new again!!
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 9:36am
I wouldn't use Armour All on my seats. I use babes seat soap and seat saver. No silicon in it. When I had my seats redone on my 89 2001, my upholstery guy said Armour All was bad for vinyl.
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 10:02am
Russ, instead of the fake-a-lake, do something like this:
garden hose connection

it's under $15

FWIW, this was my google search to find an image of this for you:
garden hose site:correctcraftfan.com
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 10:17am
If you need to use steel wool on your vinyl then Armour All is good enough.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 11:12am
Hey all,

After a couple of weeks of work and a few trips I now have cleaned everything up except waxing the hull and changing the registration numbers. the last picture is a shot from when I purchased to compare swim deck then and now.

Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 11:15am
Sorry about some of the pics sideways or upside down. Perhaps a MOD can arrange?
wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 1:47am
You have got yourself a beautiful SN2001. Welcome and Prop's for posting pictures. WE love Pictures!
Watuugasn84
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 2:11pm
Hello,

First run last Friday. overall all went well and as hoped.

Did have a couple of issues that I need to address.

1. Dash Panel buttons for the auto and manual bilge pump both stuck in off position. Need to fix. Hopefully not a big deal.
2. Had some cavitation at about 3000 rpms. Looking at a new Acme prop 442 (422) which should change drive and I will re-evaluate.
3. PSI running at 60 which is about 3/4 on gauge. - Is this normal?
4. Right side Speedo not working. Could be anything from improper winterizing to bad gauge. Need to figure out.
5. Carb most likely needs a little tune.
6. Little whine in the transmission. Both forward and reverse.
7. reverse seems to only want to go one direction. Is this normal or am I just an amateur with inboards?

Have to say the SN did better overall than I expected and the wake was also bigger than expected. Lot of smiles all around from riders.

halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Russman Russman wrote:

Hello,

First run last Friday. overall all went well and as hoped.

Did have a couple of issues that I need to address.

1. Dash Panel buttons for the auto and manual bilge pump both stuck in off position. Need to fix. Hopefully not a big deal.
2. Had some cavitation at about 3000 rpms. Looking at a new Acme prop 442 (422) which should change drive and I will re-evaluate.
3. PSI running at 60 which is about 3/4 on gauge. - Is this normal?
4. Right side Speedo not working. Could be anything from improper winterizing to bad gauge. Need to figure out.
5. Carb most likely needs a little tune.
6. Little whine in the transmission. Both forward and reverse.
7. reverse seems to only want to go one direction. Is this normal or am I just an amateur with inboards?

Have to say the SN did better overall than I expected and the wake was also bigger than expected. Lot of smiles all around from riders.

1. Had the same problem with the push buttons in my 94, I just ordered new breakers rather than try and get the originals working again..
2. Cavitation or a vibration? A vibration would be more likely, commonly caused by bent prop blades, worn strut bushing, or bent shaft. A new prop may fix this, but I'd check for play in the strut bushing while you're at it.
3. I'd say that's normal. Mine reads 40 at idle and 60 underway.
6. Since you have a 1989, I'm assuming it's a 1.23:1 reduction PCM trans. These have a distinctive whine to them, should be normal.
7. Welcome to the wonderful world of inboard prop torque. It will pull pretty hard to port in reverse, if you can get enough of a running start, the rudder will eventually start winning the fight and it'll turn the other way. But always plan on it sliding to port in reverse.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic