Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring 68 Mustang SS

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
almac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoring 68 Mustang SS
    Posted: May-19-2006 at 4:51pm
I am new to CorrectCraftFan and I am just starting to restore a '68 Mustang SS and am looking for resources to help me in the process. The boat is all original with two exceptions: I had the floor removed and the stringers replaced, and I had the hull repainted at the same time (about 20 years ago). The boat was then used by my brother for a few years and has been sitting in my barn ever since.

What would be the best starting point?
Does anyone have access to manuals?
Does anyone have drawings or plans for the seats (as both are dry rotted)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.   
You're only as old as you think you are.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 5:03pm
first is a good cleaning, polishing and waxing. Then you want to give it a complete tune-up after you oil the cylinders to remove surface rust. How long has it been sitting? that will be a driving factor on what to do to the engine, was it porperly winterized before lay-up? getting the engine back into shape maybe the hardest part so we'll need more info so everyone knows where we're starting from.

Check out the refernce sections on this site and they have brouchures and service manuals as well. For the seats do you need new vinyl or just the wood? post some pictures to help us out and the group here will have that classic up and running in no time. Also where are you located, someone maybe in your area that could help you out and walk you through a few things.
almac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 10:59am
The boat has been sitting for around 16 - 17 years. Undercover thankfully. However, I have no idea as to "winterizing" of the engine. I am going on the assumption that I will most likely need to rebuild the engine. That's the one part that I am not afraid to tackle. Fiberglass repairs are an entirely different matter.

As to the seats...yes. I have the remains of the drivers seat but the passenger seat is gone. I would need both new vinyl for the seats and a pattern for the underlying structure so I could craft new seats. The back bench still remains but would need recovering.

I went through the reference section but could find nothing on the engine. Guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Currently, the boat is in my barn at the ranch. I am in Gainesville, FL but the boat is located near Lady Lake.

Thanks for the response, I'm looking forward to getting this project on the road.
You're only as old as you think you are.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 11:17am
you might try mid-west CC the upholstry shop next door to them does there interior work and they have patterns for a lot of the older models. I used the new skins to cut out the shape of the wood for the seats. You may also be able to get the mounting brackets if there're missing also. What engine do you have? I would pull the engine out and pull the pan and take a look and see what shape the internals are. If it looks pretty good you may get by with some new seals, carb rebuild and a tune-up. post some pictures if you can.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic