Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oil type

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
decker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil type
    Posted: May-20-2006 at 11:08am
I have a '86 Ski Nautique. When the boat is in gear at a idle the oil pressure drops. What is the recommended oil and weight. I bought the boat used and have no owners manual. Can I use a synthetic oil? Any replies would be appreciated.
Dan Decker
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 12:36pm
use what ever grade type and brand you would use in your own car, this comes up once or twice a year, so if you want to read all the debait, do a search for oil.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 1:36pm
Sure you can use synthetic oil. I use it all the time - that is, whenever I come across a can of it I pour it around my fence to kill the weeds. It works very well.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 2:37pm
Nice...... do you have to put down the speedo when your kill'n weed's????
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 2:47pm
79, I do like your suggestion of using the same oil in your boat as in your car. That is the smartest comment I've seen in this whole oil debate. That way you don't have two kinds of oil setting around on your garage shelves. With age comes wisdom, or one would hope...
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 5:13pm
JIY and 79, that's what I do, I use the same oil in my truck, the Mrs. Lake car, the Nautique, and now the old 78 Honda bike (got it to save money to buy gas for the boat--that's my story and I'm sticking to it).
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2006 at 6:49pm
PCM's recommendation on the 351w is to use straight 40w. Some argue that multi-weight oil gives better protection for cold starting and warmup without sacrificing protection once the engine is warm. I havent seen any hard data, but the reasoning makes sense to me. 15w40 is also easier to find than straight 40w. Shell Rotella and Castrol Syntec are both good brands, as is Valvoline. I would avoid Pennzoil and Quaker State from what I have read.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2006 at 1:56pm
The sticker on the valve cover of my '84 says to use 20W40. I've started using Rotella 15W40.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 9:20am
When you put the boat in gear at idle the engine speed drops, which causes the oil pump to turn slower. At idle you don't have a lot of excess oil flow so it's normal for the oil pressure to drop. What is it dropping to? As long as you have over 10psi you should be ok.

I'm going on memory but I think I've got about 40psi at idle and the needle moves significantly if engine speed drops much when the boat is put in gear.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 10:50am
I read somewhere 10 psi per 1000 rpms is ok. Fords have poor oil pressure.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 11:38am
   Straight grade oil has much better lubrication qualities than multi-grade blends.
That being said,use what you will,don't let it get low,change it often and use a quart of Lucus oil additive at every oil change. Your engine will thank you.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 12:28pm
I have a '86, 2001. Frankly, the VDO gauges don't seem to be the best quality. We also have the idiot light for the oil pressure. My oil gauge is jumpy, but does increase and decrease depending on RPM's. I check my oil level now and then.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 2:49pm
I use 5w30 and my Ford has 80 pounds at idle, thanks to a melling pump.
Tim D
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

I use 5w30 and my Ford has 80 pounds at idle, thanks to a melling pump.

Now we're talkin'
Note to self: melling pump at rebuild or timing chain replacement.
I'm laughing though, because with all the concern over oil types and change intervals and everything, I've never heard of anyone blowing an engine that wasn't really low on oil or had a cooling problem or was doing something stupid.
The motor oil folks are doing a good marketing job.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic