NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite sunglasses

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite sunglasses
    Posted: June-08-2015 at 3:47pm
When your driving your boat, what do you wear?
When it comes to sunglasses i'm like a woman with shoes, i have too many and i can never have enough.
On the boat for me Its my costa jose 580g on the real sunny days, My oakley shallow blue polarized lenses are great for those overcast days and i swear its like having xray vision when in the shallows.
Its also hard to keep the old oakley razor blades in the glove compartment on any given day just for pictures but the lenses are a little used and abused these days.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 4:05pm
I agree with polarized lenses you can see underwater shallow variations you can't see with the naked eye
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 11:41pm
LOL guys...lost way to many pairs over the side or off the Harley...now-a-days its 10 pair for $10 at the Dollar store.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 11:44pm
That cracks me up John Before I saw your post my response was going to simply be "dollar store" (much to Hollywood's surprise, I am sure)
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 12:19am
Used to favor expensive glasses after I went to contacts. Before that I was stuck with clip-ons or ugly perscription glasses. So when I went contacts I spent money on 'cool' sun glasses...that is until I figured out I wasn't wearing them very long.

I admit to not being as cool or stylish as HW.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 1:25am
I'm kind of the opposite. although i don't wear glasses on the regular or contacts. thankfully i've held onto my good vision up until now.
I use to only wear cheapo glasses because i never kept them for very long before sitting on them or ruining them. But when i started long haul fishing I would notice my eyes would start actually hurting after a couple days of being out in the sun with the cheap lenses. I decided to invest in my first pair of expensive lenses and have never looked back. Its also nice having warranty support when something does happen to them. I've had my entire frames replaced from costa no charge to me but a $5 shipping to them.
I tend to take care of my glasses more now too.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 8:01am
Ray Ban Predators. Fit great for the Harley and I can cautiously get 6-7 years average out of a pair! I remember once losing a pair "over the side" and actually FOUND them at the bottom!
Js
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 8:12am
Most of my boating friends have Costas. I just picked up a pair for my wife. Great sunglasses. I've always been a Ray Ban guy. Mine aren't polarized, but the difference between my glasses and my wifes polarized 580s is slim to to none.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 12:30pm
I'm a sunglasses guy. Sun gives me a headache without them so I'm all about them. After a long run of Ray-Ban aviators and Oakley GasCans I've recently had a huge renaissance back to classic Oakley Frogskins. I recently "built" a pair to exactly match the same pair I had in about 1992, clear frames with purple polarized lenses. An "astounding" 185.00 price tag for a tiny bit of plastic but these sunglasses are functionally the best I've ever had. So glad to be back with them. The lenses are big, the frame is very ergonomic and light and rides on top of your head really well when you're not using them (aviators seem a bit too heavy to ride atop the head and I've had so many slam to the ground as I lean down to pick something up, very frustrating). So anyway, Frogskins. Best sunglasses ever at this point.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 12:43pm
I also used to be a cheapo sun glasses guy, considered them disposable. My brother insisted I try his Revo's out on the slopes and I have never gone back to the cheapies. I usually update about every 3 to five years. I am with Joel on this one, a good pair of Sunglasses means a lot less stress on the eyes. I found when I spend a little more money (usually never more then $40) I take better care of them, neck straps, "off the face-in the case", etc.

Ran Revo's for years but now am running a pair of XX2i Optics. Great lenses, nice for the boat and the bike with a pseudo wrap around style that offers good wind protection. I also have a pair of Smith's in one of the cars, but the styling is getting a little dated and really cool orange set of Julbo's that I wear when I ride.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 1:29pm
I am a Suncloud fan. $50 bucks at Sun and Ski or REI, or get them online for a few $$ less. I can'[t tell a difference between them and a $150 pair, and at $50 bucks losing a pair sucks, but you get over it a lot quicker.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 1:38pm
Mostly tinted safety glasses from foundry visits or I'll go on a shopping spree at Grainger once a year. Every now and then I'll spot a pair at the gas station I have to have. .

Quality shades sure are nice but I'm just too careless. Plenty of money on the bottom of the lake, scratched or misplaced entirely.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 1:57pm
Common HW what about the green and black knock off wayfarers I hooked you up with!

I rock Oakleys because I get them at cost. I wear anything that remotely looks like a Ray Ban wayfarer but I don't spend the extra coin on polarized glasses.. I am a little more careless with them now that I get them at cost ha,
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 2:14pm
Ever notice how Beer Goggles are like wearing x-Ray Vision glasses??
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 2:16pm
Yes.
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 2:17pm
I was told in high school that polarized sunglasses give you shade but close part of your eyes to protect themselves, while non-polarized ones give you shade but harm your eyes...i researched this probably 13 years ago. After that, I spent money on the cheapest polarized glasses I could find. I prefer small lenses, and a couple of years ago bought ray bans (RB8305) -- best money ever spent...carbon fiber, quality construction...

Granted, in general, polarized sunglasses aren't as dark as non-polarized ones, and make it more difficult to see your smart phone, but I still go that route.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 2:23pm
For road driving i stick with my AO pilots. those are non polarized. and like mentioned about the aviator style glasses falling off your head, if you go with AO and opt for the wrap around ear pieces you can probably survive a barefoot wipeout and still come up wearing them. (not that i would recommend that though)
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 3:27pm
I’m in the safety-sunglass’s camp. They’re normally less than 15 bucks, pretty rugged and heck if they can catch something before it hits me in the face all the better.

The past few summers I’ve picked up a pair of white frame / orange lens Stihl safety sunglasses at ACE for $14.00, however googling the picture to post here I found SafetyGlassesUSA.com has them without the Stihl branding for $7.35 (Awesome)

This makes me particularly happy as I ordered regular safety glasses for my shop from SafetyGlassesUSA last year and was completely satisfied with the whole transaction.

safetyglassesusa.com

Now I'm off to order me some glasses
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 3:34pm
Zach those probably didn't last a week no idea where they are now. Too much car/boat hopping in the evening nothing lasts. Frankenotter still has a hat and sunglasses I left in his friends boat last fall.
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 4:38pm
Oakleys for years since like like Zach I got them at cost. I've probably got 10 pair spread around: the office, truck, house, and lakehouse. But, since that well dried up a few years ago I got a pair of costa's and a pair of RB wayfarers. I like the fit of my costa's the best but my wife does to so I don't see them often. I'm OCD about glasses so I've had many of my oakleys for the better part of a decade.

Moral of all this giberish: Oakley and Costa are about even for me.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 5:47pm
You guys suck. I wish I could still buy off the shelf sunglasses. Had to switch to Rx about 15 years ago. Between the wife and I we have spent a small fortune on Rx Maui Jim's and Ray Bans. Although lately instead of buying the manufacturers lenses I just purchased glasses on ebay then sent them to this place for Rx lenses. I paid about $100 for new Maui Jims on ebay and about $150 for lenses. $250 hurts much less than $650.

Rx lenses

They do an excellent job on the lenses and you can order lots of different options. The last pair I got are glass/polarized/mirrored. Still like the Maui Jim lenses but not sure they are worth an extra $400.

Hope this link helps when you guys get old and have a bunch of cool sunglasses that you can't see out of.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 10:33am
Group me in with HW. Local lakes have two pairs of Ray-Bans and a pair of Oaks....$500 in the bottom of the lake so I go the cheap route and get a polarized pair from where ever. Do own a nice pair of Oaks that were given to be as a B-Day gift under strict guidelines that they were NOT to be used in the boat. That was two Kims ago but I still adhere to that rule. I keep them and my Aviators in the tow vehicle.

Love the Polarized glasses for the reasons above but yeah they suck when using a smart phone like Scott said. Cheap pair usually have the floaty croaky strap on them.

Why is it though that I have have the same cheap pair of glasses for a couple years? In the water rafting up, tying up boats, leaning over the side picking up skis and they've yet to fall off my head but within a month after buying good expensive ones.......Ploop...off they go into the deep brown abyss!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 11:32am
No one has chimed in with Maui Jim?!?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 11:45am
You guys sound like Quinner picking panties and ear rings for the Justin Bieber concert.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Why is it though that I have have the same cheap pair of glasses for a couple years but within a month after buying good expensive ones.......Ploop...off they go into the deep brown abyss!

LOL same here. Jackie got me some floating wood frame sunglasses for Christmas and I lost them somewhere in Winter Haven before New Years... And just last night I left some 3M tinted safety glasses on Mars '01 and left with Maddox's sunglasses.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 11:53am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

You guys sound like Quinner picking panties and ear rings for the Justin Bieber concert.

HAHAHA

I'm a big fan of the $15 polarized Foster Grants at the local Walgreens. I've had several nice pairs of Anarchys and Oakleys in the past and they always end up scratched, sat on, or at the bottom of the lake. Somehow I manage to keep a cheap pair for years...
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 11:57am
Oakley crosshair polarized with a Nautique strap
BTW we need a CCF strap!
Paul, I don't like wearing panties but it turns Justin on, so we gota bite the bullet
1994 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 11:58am
I've only ever lost one pair in the lake. It was an OOOOOLD pair of oakleys I gave 0 ***************s about. I dove in with them on because I didn't care. They gone.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

No one has chimed in with Maui Jim?!?

these are top notch glasses, and i would own a pair if i could get them at the pricing i get my costas but i cannot at the moment and the ones i want don't fit my budget at the moment.
but they make a stellar lens.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 12:53pm
Julbo mountain glasses for glacier conditions. Great for cutting out bright sun and glare.

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic