Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pounding since repaint

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tagalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pounding since repaint
    Posted: June-08-2015 at 9:12pm
Hi, a friend of mine has a 1971 Barracuda with a 318 in it. it used to go about 46 indicated in smooth or light chop. Due to crazing it got ground down and repainted with Polyester. wet sanded and buffed beautiful. The bottom profile looks correct but now as it goes over 40 it begins to pound, if you add power it pounds really hard getting into a double skip. It does a very similar behavior whether there is one or two people, full or light on fuel. We were hoping to not have to add trim tabs as it never had them before.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 9:45pm
They ground off the hook that was glassed into the bottom of the boat.

Painted or gelled with polyester?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 10:17pm
Yup, what Pete said- sounds like they tweaked the hull when grinding the old gel off. Less (or no) hook will do what you're describing.

The good news is that the phenomenon is safe- it's better than the alternative (dropping the nose). Those chasing speed find the bounce very desirable. I would embrace it and skip the eyesore of trim tabs. A good glass guy can add the hook back. You'll likely need some measurements from a similar boat,
tagalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 12:35pm
I believe you guys are correct. We have no template as to the Hook. The bottom appears very flat at the very back of the transom, no apparent hook.. How or who can tell us how to re profile the bottom, Losing 7 mph of speed and the viscous pound that develops is not acceptable in this old girl especially since it used to be perfect. We're not really chasing speed, just want it's old self(handling) back.
tagalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 12:37pm
The way I understand it is, When polyester is applied in a mold it is "Gel coat" but when sprayed it is just sprayed polyester, that is what was done.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 12:48pm
Nah, gel is gel, regardless of how/when it's applied. Much more durable than paint either way so you'll get a big thumbs up on the restoration in that regard.

Hook is tough to see by eye. Get yourself a good 4' straight edge and put it along the last 4' of the hull. Check various places side to side. I am not sure how much hook was put in the cudas (someone here can check), but I would expect to see at least 1/8" gap (possibly as much as 3/8") on a stock hull. If your straight edge lies flat then it was all removed, and it certainly had *some* from the factory. Someone here with a comparable boat should be able to provide some measurements to compare to.

If I understand you correctly, the boat is slower now- I am assuming that is because you feel you cannot hold it at WOT because you find the bounce disconcerting. Is that correct? In reality, the boat should be faster without the hook, if you have the stomach to hold the throttle down. If not, then you may have engine tuning issues contributing to (or causing) the problem.

Got any pics of the boat to share?
tagalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 1:56pm
The boat is slower, at 39 it begins to pound, if you keep adding throttle it just pounds more aggressively, it may go up to 43 or so but by then it is doing a double skip and more throttle just aggravates the pound,   it used to just drive right up to 46 and stayed flat on the water. The boat lives in a boat house on a hoist, I can probably get pics in a bit of time. Are you saying 4 foot or 4 inch straight edge, Does hook go 4 feet forward or just 4 inches?
tagalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 2:03pm
The engine and drive are running very well and I do not believe they are part of this issue. The engine and driveshaft were not moved or fooled with during the hull restore and this showed up immediately upon relaunching the boat after the hull work.
tagalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 2:04pm
as an aside, how do you apply Gel if not in a mold, can you spray gel?
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 2:21pm
4 foot,   Don't know exactly where the hook is on a correct craft, but heres an exagerated sketch of a hook.

And one of a Rocker

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 2:24pm
A good Pounding on a regular basis will help keep you young!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 2:38pm
Better representation of a hook on a CC.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 2:39pm
The hook will be in the last 2-3', which is why it's so hard to see without a long straight edge.

Yes, gel is usually sprayed- either into the mold at the factory or on the hull when restoring. Isn't that what you had done? Or am I misunderstanding?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 3:08pm
Hoping I didn't grind away my hook!

Here is what it looked like on a 67 Ski Nautique. Very slight.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
tagalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 8:40pm
Thanks Craig, that last pic is the one that is worth a thousand words. I'm almost sure this boat is flat and will check soonest. Now I don't know for sure exactly what was done to the bottom, will comfirm, though I was told it wassanded to the glass, sprayed with poly, wet sanded and buffed, it looks thick and perfect, Is the hook in the glass or just in the gel? I doubt they would have cut into glass cloth much in the grinding of the old gel. This is a 1971 16,foot cuda, very similar I bet to the 67 natique hull.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 12:18am
Totally different hull than the 1st gen Sn. The Cuda likely has more hook (or it should), the 1gen had almost none. Hook is built into the hull (glass).

Last year for the Cuda was '70 I believe, and all 67+ cudas were 17'.
tagalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 11:49am
http://www.westbayboatworks.com/media/imgs/gallery/fiberglass/1971-correct-craft/04.jpg      Here is a pic of the work done on the bottom, there are some more on his web site.. It was sprayed with Gel coat upon being prepped. It is a 1971 cuda, it is 17.1 long (oops). Craig, the guy at Westbay boats would like to chat with you, is that OK, we will probably have him reprofile the boat this winter. He knows a bit about hook and had to get it right on a mastercraft that had been hit in the back. it took water testing to dial it in.
tagalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 1:19pm
I think from this photo that you can see that the tech did not cut into the glass at the back, there of wisps of blue that would not be there if he had, therefor it is reasonable to expect the the entire profile that has caused our problem is in the gel and how thick it is applied in certain places?
tagalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 1:44pm
here's a shot of it hanging in its bay.
https://col130.afx.ms/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=48ea241a-0f75-11e5-954e-6c3be5a7fae6&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&imgsrc=cid%3a0610150908.jpg&cid=4b07f6eadb3695f3&hm__login=kamakinzie&hm__domain=msn.com&ip=10.148.48.8&d=d686&mf=160&hm__ts=Wed%2c%2010%20Jun%202015%2015%3a42%3a30%20GMT&st=kamakinzie%402&hm__ha=01_1f5de97be5a3fc20b07801f734044a4ded5c6884e810786cb1db1f99df75f9e3&oneredir=1
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 2:03pm
Like Tim cautioned, I would try to get measurements from someone who has the same hull as yours.

Gel is usually what....30mils? I sure wouldn't think you could cause a noticeable change in behavior just from that.

I will say it looks like they did an awesome job (cosmetically). The boat looks fantastic.

Link to pictures of repair
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 2:08pm
The cracking in the hull that is shown on those pictures is exactly what our SN looked like. Wonder if those cracks were in the glass too (likely) and if the shop ground out those cracks or just primed/gelled over them.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 2:58pm
Hmmmm. Was a good theory that the hook was ground out, what else could cause the change in performance.. But in those pics, it sure doesn't look like the hook was ground out. Still see the gel in places, suggesting they didn't grind any glass out.

Nice restoration!
tagalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 3:49pm
Yea, this boat is truly beautiful,fresh hull gel, fresh engine, fresh interior,good bright work, good windshield, good stringers. We don't want to add trim tabs. Pulls anything from boarders to parasails. I still think that the hook is the focal point, That it is just very sensitive to the amount and scope. We will be putting a flat edge on it and reporting back soonest. The craftsmen who did the work are all over getting it correct,ha(if it is in fact the problem). I see that the prop shaft strut is off, which means they added gel underneath it before bolting it back on, this could change the thrust line a wee bit, could this be a factor?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by tagalong tagalong wrote:

I see that the prop shaft strut is off, which means they added gel underneath it before bolting it back on, this could change the thrust line a wee bit, could this be a factor?

Proper strut installation would've corrected for that. The procedure is to place the strut co-axial to the shaft log on the hull (which wouldn't have moved). If the gel was a little thicker, it would force you to install the strut a little farther aft on the boat, and if the gel was thinner than before, a little more forward.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 6:31pm
That is a very sharp looking boat. I have not seen that many 'Cudas but that is only one of two that I have ever seen in Meridan Blue and Taffy Ivory. With that bow light if original or the replacement of the original,it's no newer than '68
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 7:54pm
Gil,
Was the engine R&R'd? I as wondering if the engine position fore to aft was changed.

I had a 70 Cuda with the H/M which was slightly faster than the 318. It did porpoise at I'd say anything over 40. If hook has not been removed, there is a good chance that the porpoising is normal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 8:46pm
I do not have a Cuda but Good Lord this boat is gorgeous! Really nice work the shop did on the gel.
I do know that my second gen ski is super sensitive to weight. If anybody sits in the back I cant go over 35 without it bouncing me out of the boat. With just a driver and spotter I can just keep feeding her the beans and she runs flat and soft right through top end.
I said that to say this: It would not take a whole bunch to throw it off. A very small amount of hook can make a huge difference.
80 lbs of play sand under the dash would likely fix it (ghetto)
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

I do know that my second gen ski is super sensitive to weight. If anybody sits in the back I cant go over 35 without it bouncing me out of the boat.

Excellent point. My Tique will not handle anyone in the back at higher speeds. It will however porpoise with a driver and spotter. The Cuda was the same. The more weight aft, the porpoising got worse.

Gil,
Does he have people in the aft seat when the Cuda supposedly handles not to his liking?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 9:16pm
my century porpoises a bit. No work ever done to the hull but it's only 16'7" and as it's a v-drive the weight of the 360 in the ass end must effect it to some degree. Curious, does a Separator porpoise much?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 9:40pm
Ask Tim Bob. Reid,Tim and I were in one at the last GL. I blanked out everything after seeing Quinners tool box.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic