Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hardwall hose

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hardwall hose
    Posted: June-11-2015 at 7:34pm

I got my hose today and I gotta say I'm not happy with it.

Its much heavier and harder to work with than what came off.
It doesn't bend as well, bunches in the bends, and longer pieces are needed to keep it from bunching up. It has two wires (very heavy wires) running thru it instead of one wire so its tough to cut too.

This stuff was pretty expensive so I'll use it for a while but I need to know what y'all are using, that-is, if your happy with it.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 7:37pm
Where did you get it from?
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 7:43pm
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 7:58pm
Paul,
You should have posted the need first. Many have been through the hose issue before.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 8:24pm

yeah, I just hate to post about every little thing.
Don't get me started about the fuel lines, -6AN my butt...

The good news is my flush out looks perfect, and I only had to go to Ace, Lowes, a plumbing supply, and one other Ace to find the 1-1/4 barbs with a 3/4NTP tee ($2.49 and about $20 worth of fuel):

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 8:49pm
According to my wife, that tape is worthless, it won't stick to anything!
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 9:25pm
i usually go with the shields brand or trident, that looks like a no name brand. you also bought hardwall exhaust hose which not sure about that brand but trident makes two styles one made for long straight runs and one made to be able to bend.

looking in my catalog i see a few options.
Trident flex water hose w/wire- excellent flexibility and bend radious, resists heat ozone and colapse 250*F

Shieldsflex II water/exhaust hose w/wire series 250-for engine intake or wet exhaust for use where bends or long lengths are required.

your on the right track with the wire reinforced you may just have tried the wrong type.but if its working now go with it. if your basing your decision off how hard the stuff is to work with than don't because they all are hard to work with.
it stinks because list prices for this type of hose is so much, the markup is enough to make you puke. definately try searching online if you dont know someone in the business when ordering this stuff because someone will have it for cheaper.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 9:29pm
also for cutting the stuff the best way I have found is with a hacksaw .
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 9:48pm

Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

According to my wife, that tape is worthless, it won't stick to anything!

Ha! I can relate, I married a blonde.

The brand is Gates.
I looked around a good bit on-line but missed the part about two steel wires (it was getting late when I finally ordered it)
The price wasn't as high as some so I clicked the button.
It looked like they used a chop saw to cut it. I just used a box cutter, a side cutter and brute force and ignorance. It turned out pretty straight and I didn't have to dig out the chop saw.
I may or may not replace it after I get everything back together and running, we'll see.
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 1:28am

Ok, I'm waiting for a few parts and I've decided to go ahead and change the hoses.
I can use these to replace the straight portions from the intake thru the strainer that I'm adding.
Trident and Shieldsflex II...
I'll search some sites first thing in the morning. Any suggestions on where to buy?
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 10:46pm
where are you located?
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2015 at 12:01am
Mississippi.
I ordered the Shieldsflex II from Go2Marine
Hopefully it'll be more cooperative.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2015 at 4:20am
good let us know how it works out,
I should have also mentioned the corrugated shieldflex series 252 which has all of the same properties as the 250 series but i think is a slight bit more flexible. that would have been an option also, but the non corrugated looks better in my opinion.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2015 at 9:41pm
I did an assessment of my hoses today and decided to order some new ones myself. I got a length of both the corrugated and the smooth. I will do a side by side comparison and post up what I find.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 12:43am
Been there myself... Went to clean what I thought was a leaf or twig by the exhaust hose on my 73...turned out to be a rusted core wire

not pretty, but GLAD I found it!

I bought the Sheilds brand and cut it with my chop saw. Do it outside tho. Between the smoke/burnt rubber smell and the rubber "marbles" kind messy. Definitely hard to work with, but hopefully good for another 40 years!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 2:06am
Yeah, that looks rough... I have copper tubing in that location with a few inches of tube to connect the risers,
Nice looking boat tho. I've always wondered why my windshield was different than the other '73 Ski Nautiques.
I have the vent windows on the bottom.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 2:49am
Originally posted by 73SN 73SN wrote:

Yeah, that looks rough... I have copper tubing in that location with a few inches of tube to connect the risers,
Nice looking boat tho. I've always wondered why my windshield was different than the other '73 Ski Nautiques.
I have the vent windows on the bottom.

If I remeber, I also replaced the short section of hose between the copper tubes and the thru-hull fittings.

Sometime along the way, I think your windshield has been replaced with a 76 up style.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 7:10pm
hoses came in this morning, got a chance to compare the smooth wall vs the corrugated.

The two products are Shields series 250 and shields series 252 in the 1" flavor.
They acted just as i suspected except for the bend radius. I would have thought the corrugated held a bend better but it would see the smooth wall is less prone to kink than the corrugated hose. go figure.
Personally I would say the corrugated would only be a better choice if it was something that would be prone to a lot of movement between the two hose clamped ends. because it bends with less persuasion on the end where it would be clamped than the hardwall.

73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2015 at 10:16pm
Wow, thanks Tony. You got yours quick. You're right the non-corrugated looks better.
I was hoping mine would get here yesterday (Friday) but I'm guessing now it'll be next week.
I'm plumbing the fuel lines and water separator, and the strainer tonight.
Unfortunately someone repaired rust on the j-tube with JB Weld ten years or more ago. Its leaking so I'll be fixing it too.
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 12:32pm
A bit disappointed again.
It took almost two weeks to get my hoses in and they're scuffed, dirty, and bent.
I wont be ordering from go2marine again.
I can cut enough before the bend to get by but I wont have any extra to work with.
At least I'll be on the water soon.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 7:03am
Paul,
I"d have to say that the kink in the hose came from the manufacturer and the only fault of go2 was them shipping it to you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic