Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking Advice Desperately!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
S&WN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&WN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking Advice Desperately!!!
    Posted: May-22-2006 at 6:48pm
I hate this being my first post here, but I would really like some advice form other owners:

Ok so as of last week our(3owners) boat(83 sn2001) was sold for $9200cdn pending a marine survey. The marine survey was performed and the surveyor said that all though he could not test all the stringers the ones he could get at his tool(said was like an ice pick) penetrated through the stringers easily. He also said that the boats hull had extremely high moisture readings. As well as some spider cracks acording to him because of flex from weak stringers. So now the buyers are not interested. In canada a boat over 15 years old must pass a marine survey to be able to insure it. We were told that we should not put the boat in the water because any large wakes might crack the hull. This really came as a shock to me because the boat ran awesome, floors felt super solid and the past owner said he redid the floors. The three of us are all students who really cant afford to fix problems like this.

So now is where your advice comes in.
1. Take the offered $4200 from the buyers - so they would be getting an 83sn2001 with 690 hours, monster tower, 2 monster brd racks, acme 351prop, depth finder

2. Convince the other guys to fix this problem and then sell it?

3. Buy the other owners out at $1400 each and ride her till she breaks

How much and how hard would a job like this be/cost

I know I could rip the floors and out myself as well as glass and install the new ones just dont think I could handle the stringers.

sorry for the book

pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 7:02pm
Convince the other guy to fix the boat. When they find out how much it would cost to repair then buy them out for 500 dollars a head then ride her till the interior trashes or you blow the engine which will be a good long time. Looks like a great boat!
S&WN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&WN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by pswann pswann wrote:

Convince the other guy to fix the boat. When they find out how much it would cost to repair then buy them out for 500 dollars a head then ride her till the interior trashes or you blow the engine which will be a good long time. Looks like a great boat!

Do you think the stringer will be a problem? I dont want to take the boat out with some ballast in her and then hit a wake and it crack in half on me?
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 7:12pm
No problem, but dont take my word for it. I bet there are more wasted stringers out there in these boats then there are good stringers. Anyone else want to agree or disagree?

You could do the work, there are many posts about this on this site. As pretty as your boat is I would use it till I had lots of time on my hands then I would fix it.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 7:14pm
Sell it in the U.S. No marine survey needed!

Actually, I don't think fixing the stringers is as bad a job as you might think. Lots of guys on this site have done it. And you don't necessarily have to replace the stringers either, depending on how bad they are. Search around on this site and you'll find lots of advice there.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 8:23pm
What is 4200.00 convert to in American money?Might be a good deal for one of us, if you don't want it.
Scott
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 8:27pm
4,200 in Canadian dollars equals 3,738.98 US dollars (noon) 0.8902
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 8:37pm
I'll take it!
Scott
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 8:45pm
Hay Paul how about this "project" boat?

S&wn2001 I would buy your buddies shares and keep it.
Scott
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 8:55pm
Kind of a long walk from Texas.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 9:02pm
I was thinking you could take a long boat trip. It would probably take no more than 30 days and another 3700.00 in gas.
Scott
S&WN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&WN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 9:25pm
Thanks for the advise.
Id really like to buy out the other 2 and ride the boat all summer and fix it in the winter. The marine surveyyor really scared me by saying the boat my crack in half. I would really hate to get rid of it.
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 9:38pm
Have you thought about getting a second opinion?    How well do you know / trust the marine surveyyor? It seems like a lot of money at stake just to take his word. Did you see the results of the stringer test? I know the results are not out of the question, but from the looks of the boat, it seems a little strange.
Andy

'83 2001
S&WN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&WN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Furno Furno wrote:

Have you thought about getting a second opinion?    How well do you know / trust the marine surveyyor? It seems like a lot of money at stake just to take his word. Did you see the results of the stringer test? I know the results are not out of the question, but from the looks of the boat, it seems a little strange.

I dont know/trust the guy very well. He came from the same place that charged us $400 to fix our boat, never fixed it, I came on here and someone here pointed out that it was probably the neutral lock cable was a little out of place, sure enough jiggled the throttle with button in pulled it out and she started up. Anyways he seemed real shady and one of the owners didnt put the cover on right so it was filled with water. Thinking that could have resulted in the high mouisture levels.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 10:30pm
High moisture levels can be dried out..Doesn't mean you have rot. Tearing the floor and stringers out would be a last resort.And even if you did, your buy out price is low enough to where you could sink a little money into it and still get it back latter when you sell it.
Scott
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 11:00pm
Have you tested the stringers yourself (probing)? First place to check is at the motor mounts....check where he did and any exposed wood. They can be a bit soft as long as the rot does not go too far into the stringer...and can be repaired. If it comes to replacing...cost is mostly your time! Also... I agree with getting another opinion!
Buy them out...fix it right and have a kick ass boat for a long time!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 11:13pm
Canadian "Marine Inspectors" sound like Texas "Home Inspectors". They critque the boat as though it's coming off the showroom floor. The boat's over 20 years old. There are going to be some spider cracks, espeacialy if people have been adding 1000 pounds of water as cargo. This is why you're asking $9K instead of $25K-30K. If you can afford to buy the other owners out, do it. Don't sell that boat for $3.7K American. That's crazy.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 9:59am
The boat will not break in half, or crack the hull. The stringers are mainly for engine support and to prevent oil canning of the hull bottom. So, buy the others out, use it this summer and fix the stringer/floor during the winter (if you have a garage to put it in, but remember the work is extremely messy...fiberglass dust everywhere!).
S&WN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&WN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 11:17am
Thanks alot guys. This is definately the advice that I wanted to hear!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 11:20am
I would take it easy on the added weight until you get it sorted out this winter. By them out, use it, and fix it come fall.
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 2:02pm
Another vote for buying your buddies out. I've never replaced stringers myself, but it seems like something that's do-able, and you'll be happy to still have the boat.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 3:49am
Originally posted by Dank Dank wrote:

I've never replaced stringers myself, but it seems like something that's do-able, and you'll be happy to still have the boat.

I'd never rebuilt a transmission until last year and it still amazes some of my friends I got it back together again
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 7:36am
pswann wrote:
No problem, but dont take my word for it. I bet there are more wasted stringers out there in these boats then there are good stringers. Anyone else want to agree or disagree?

Sounds plausible.

Do your own inspection, and a little research on "how to repair". I'm quessing if you were involved with the tower and sun deck add on's, you will be able to do the floor repair with a little advice from those here who've "been there done that".
Buy out your buds, use the boat, check your hull once in a while for piece of mind, and have some fun with that now,.,., one owner boat!!
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic