Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3 or 4 balde?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Slicer Al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slicer Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 or 4 balde?
    Posted: May-23-2006 at 9:23am
I have damaged my current prop, which I will repair for a spare. But am also thinking of buying a new prop. I have been told that a four blade will give me more out of the hole thrust and a smaller wake. I am leaning towards buying a four blade nibral prop. Any thoughts, brands that are better?

Slicer Al
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 9:42am
I just went from a three to a four blade, OJ 13X13 for my '86. HUGE difference in the hole shot!!! The wake is smoother too.

I bought mine at www.newenglandcorrectcraft.com

Ken
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 9:44am
Discount Inboard Marine will give you 10% off if you mention this site. Give them a jingle.

Ken
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 9:50am
buy a new style ACME I think you'll need the 540 if I remember you have a 351 1:1 set-up. A four blade will loose a little top end and gain a little out of the hole if loaded down with weight. If you wakeboard mostly then maybe a 4 is better for the type of use.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 9:50am
Call ACME and discuss your setup with them. They will give you advice based on what your needs are: such as maybe 3-blade for wakeboarding and 4-blade for skiing (or something like that). Sort of depends on what speed you generraly use the boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 10:56am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Call ACME and discuss your setup with them. They will give you advice based on what your needs are: such as maybe 3-blade for wakeboarding and 4-blade for skiing (or something like that). Sort of depends on what speed you generraly use the boat.

I think it generally it tends to be the other way around: 3-blade for skiing and 4-blade for wakeboarding. However, that may have more to do with the type of driveline, direct drive vs v-drive.

I would go with a CNC prop no matter which way you go. The new Acmes are real nice. On my dad's 92, he went from the stock 3-blade to an OJ Legend 4-blade to an Acme 4-blade (#422). Each prop was successively better, with the acme being the best (obviously). I just went from an OJ Legend 4-blade on my '90 to an Acme 3-blade (#470) and noticed a big improvement as well.

FWIW, Acme says their new 3-blades are better than their 4-blades, at least on the direct drive Nautiques. They have the same surface area and claim equal holeshot, better top end and an improved skiing wake. I see no reason to doubt them.

I just used the PlanetNautique discount code at Delta Propellor (5% off) and got the #470 for $304 including shipping. Thats the best deal around.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic