NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1:1 Velvet drive trans rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jblunceford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblunceford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1:1 Velvet drive trans rebuild
    Posted: July-03-2015 at 12:01pm
Hello guys,

I am trying to work with a local mechanic, order my own parts, and have my 1:1 Velvet drive trans rebuilt locally. The local mechanic tells me that these transmissions were originally built with bronze clutches, but the manufacturer switched to “paper” clutches/clutch material in recent decades (i.e., post 1990) that don’t last as long. The local guy says he only recommends using bronze clutches/clutch material, and that a "new" trans unit, such as one I might buy from DIM, would likely have the newer, paper clutches.

Can you guys tell me if there is any truth to this? I'm a bit skeptical.

Thank you for any info you can offer.

Jeff Lunceford
Jeff in Hoover (Birmingham), AL
1986 CC Martinique Bow Rider 351PCM
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 5:40pm
Hi Jeff

There was a change in clutch plates over the years from sintered bronze to cellulose fiber.

I have a Borg Warner manual printed in 1985 that refers to the new cellulose fiber plates. They're really steel plates with the fiber coating on them.

They were an advancement according to Borg Warner.

Plenty of rebuild kits have the bronze plates in them, the cheaper kits seem to use bronze, you can draw your own conclusions from that.

I've used both and never noticed a diffenence in how the transmission acted/felt.

I'm sure there are plenty of transmissions out there with fiber and plenty with bronze all operating well.

Life expectancy probably depends much more on proper oil level being maintained so there is no slippage due to low hydraulic pressure to the clutches.

KenO
jblunceford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblunceford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 10:29am
Great info....thank you for the clarification.
Jeff in Hoover (Birmingham), AL
1986 CC Martinique Bow Rider 351PCM
1980nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 11:07am
I have found the Sintered Bronze clutches are more forgiving and last much longer than the Glued Facings of the "New Clutches". Hope that helps Jeff!!!
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 11:11am
Also water is definitely an enemy to the fiber friction material and the glue so that is also something to consider.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic