Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

only 2cylinders spark on pro tec

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JD95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: only 2cylinders spark on pro tec
    Posted: July-06-2015 at 7:36pm
I have a 1995 ski nautique with the tbi and pro tec ignition. I only have spark in 2 cylinders and have tried changing the coil packs and have the same thing happening with the different coil packs. I think it might be the computer but they don't offer one. Just wondered if anyone else has had this same problem or if anyone has any pro tec parts from the tbi setup that they want to get rid of. Just trying anything before I spend $1200 on the fuel and ignition conversion kits.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 10:29pm
First off -- Welcome to the CCFan site. You've come to the right place for help on your CC.

Your ProTech ignition problem is not unique. If you do some searches on this topic, you will find a lot of good info here. Many consider the ProTech engine management system to be a "ticking time-bomb". It's just a matter of when the bomb will go off.

It is unlikely that you will find replacement parts to fix the ProTech. Not to worry however, as there are reasonable solutions.

My 1994 engine was similar to yours with throttle-body fuel injection and the ProTech system. My fuel injection started failing 2 to 3 years ago, but I lived with with it. One of the 3 injectors had failed and was dribbling or spitting. The engine ran poorly at idle with horrible hole-shot as the bad injector was making the air/fuel mixture very rich. Fuel injectors were no longer manufactured and much internet searching turned-up zero. Last fall, my ProTech died completely and I had to be towed back to the marina.

I called PCM and told them my story. They recommended that I retro-fit my engine back to carburetor and distributor as they had no parts to fix the TBI or ProTech.

The project wasn't too hard and the end results have been outstanding. I wish I had done this conversion 3 years ago when the fuel injection started failing.

Here is a thread to what I did:

Winter Project

Not all of it will apply, but it may give you some ideas.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 10:55pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JD95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 11:07pm
Thanks for the input. It definitely sounds like I will have to do the retro fit kits I was just hoping for a cheap fix. Disappointing that they don't have replacement parts for the pro tec stuff. I noticed you used a dui ignition. The kit from pcm uses a Mallory distributor. Anything better about one or the other?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 11:36pm
Your boat might be a good candidate for a DUI and a Quickfuel carb. Everyone here who has used the DUI have been happy with them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:27am
I converted my 1993 to a DUI from the Pro Tec and am very pleased. The fuel injection adds another wrinkle to your problem, but it has been done before. I have two sets of coil packs, but don't know if either of them are good. The one I took off my boat had such a weak spark that my timing light could not read the signal. I am willing to mail them to you, but would recommend you do something else. If you want them, PM me. I have no idea if the coil packs are the same from 1993 to 1995.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 2:36am
Originally posted by JD95 JD95 wrote:

Thanks for the input. It definitely sounds like I will have to do the retro fit kits I was just hoping for a cheap fix. Disappointing that they don't have replacement parts for the pro tec stuff. I noticed you used a dui ignition. The kit from pcm uses a Mallory distributor. Anything better about one or the other?

You really don't have to go with a kit for the fuel system or the spark/distributor system. All the various parts are available separately. If you go with "separates" you can customize. I went with the DUI and not the Mallory kit and I'm very glad that did. No external coil. 2-wire hook-up. Performance has been outstanding.

Same for the fuel system and carb. The QuickFuel M-600 is a great carb. You just need a few items to complete your own kit.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic