NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers using Coosa

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringers using Coosa
    Posted: July-07-2015 at 2:32pm
Im restoring an 83 and decided on Coosa.   using 3/4 x2 for main stringers 3/4 for secondary.   Not using foam. Im going to be using system of cross braces to give lateral support.   Im trying to verify if there is a need to use a flex beading compound for coosa such as PL or simply use thickened resins.   

Also Im using the current CC resin which is a epoxy/vinyl ester type..   

Deck will be 3/4 Coosa and likely bonded with thickened resin or PL.   possibly use ss deck screws to hold in place instead of using weights to hold down.   

Any thoughts?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 4:05pm
Do a search and look for JoeinNy or TRBenj stringer jobs as they have gone that route. They might be too busy to answer this week though,they are most likely getting ready for the reunion this weekend.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 5:33pm
Joes will be a better reference since he did a 2001 as well. Gary's right, long to do lists this time of year!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 6:08pm
I certainly did it a little different than what you describe but don't see any reason why what you are talking about wont work. Mine is in this thread same boat as yours.   The stringers have quite a few hours on them now and are showing every sign of being able to outlive me.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

I possibly use ss deck screws to hold in place instead of using weights to hold down.   Any thoughts?

Steve,
Screws are simply a stress point that is prone to fracture. Stick with the bonding. BTW, leave the SS deck screws for the deck. If they see water from a stress fracture, they will rust especially the 400 series deck screws.

Don't forget we want plenty of pictures!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 10:54am
not finding anything using the search.   
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 11:21am
ok found it.   

Joe looks like he beefed it up quite a bit for the high hp engine.   

Dont see the need for glass on top of floor as the coosa is strong enough.   Im going to roll on coat of the resin to seal it on top since carpet holds water.

Im going as light as possible.   

One thing im still not sure of is the need to bed the stringers since not wood.   looks like the ply and fir need beding using foam spacers but not clear on the coosa.   I would guess that beding using thickened resin direct to hull is all thats needed. see no reason to have any significant space.   any thoughts?

I also have some 3/4 nida core board that i got for a steal. 4x8 sheet that is already laminated on both sides.    this will be used for the removable part of the deck and also where driver seat and spotter seat are..   going to install round deck plate under spotter seat to access the through bolts and also give a place to vent the hull sides since not going to use any foam.   , going to notch top of all cross members to allow it to breath. and of course notch bottom corner to drain.   

I start this friday.   
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 11:47am
The reason for the glass on the top of the floor is to strengthen the sides by joining them to the floor. You step the glass from the floor up the sides.
The stringers should be bedded that’s how they strengthen the hull by using a step out series with the glass incorporating the hull and stringer as one.
You really don’t need to notch the top as long as you provide a pathway for the water to escape air will be able to get in.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 1:00pm
Understand monolithic structure. if deck is bonded to stringer and support system and to sides then it will stiffen the entire structure. However i doubt it adds much if anything to the sides of the boat since it sits only 6" or so from the bottom edge and the top of the hull is surrounded by the upper shell.   Upper shell gives support to sides.   If this was a very thin hull boat then i would agree floor would provide extra support for sides.   

Origninal lay up on floor was thin sheet of chop mat that ran up sides about 6".   chop mat has no real strength by itself..   Dont believe the original floor added anything to side strength on these boats.

I dont plan to cover entire floor in mat, will however back cut outer edge on top so that i can fill with peanut butter with some chop strand in it.   possibly one transition layer up the side and out on floor.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 1:08pm
On my '85 the glass separated from the walls in a section which is where I had spider web cracks in the gel coat.
Coincidence I think not, the sides are not very thick on these boats.
And by the way the floor in these boats are nothing but matt and resin applied over the foam. The only place theres a wood floor is in front of the pylon to about the dash.
This is the only place there is wood for a floor
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

Dont see the need for glass on top of floor as the coosa is strong enough.     

You had better look at the modulus specs in the horizontal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 8:25pm
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 8:27pm
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 8:31pm
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 8:35pm
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 8:38pm
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 8:54pm
Heads were cracked between valves, both sides. overheated.   got replacement e7 heads and machined them.    
block bored 30 over .   

sadly this was a new engine 12 years ago only used one summer then boat was left to rot was not pickled.   risers cracked and leaked into cylinders from freeze and the boat was covered on an off with plastic and left outside. in fl this makes a green house. ruined everything..

trans was good , i took it apart myself, it had no wear, signs of prior rebuild. installed new seal kit and its good.   

engine is almost done, had to wait for a reverse rotation rear seal, was able to find a supplier with an one piece reverse rotation seal.   now have to wait until mid august as the friend doing the engine is in bahamas until then.   so im starting stringers this weekend and will have them ready to install the engine at end of next month   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 9:18pm
I like the gold and blue looks sharp. Ya got to lose the Fram oil filter though
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 9:23pm
Looking good

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 11:48pm

my last project boat 1967 hatteras
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2015 at 3:27pm
Fun began over weekend. removed port outboard stringer and ripped up the chop strand that held it.   Decided it was easier and less mess than grinding.   used air hammer and ran it under edge and then pried with a thin wide pry bar.   going to do same with main stringers.   

removed prop shaft ,strut, rudder and rudder housing.   shaft in good shape, Cutlass bearing shot but thats easy especially since strut has been removed.   Sending prop to shop to have it scanned, looks good but may as well make it perfect.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2015 at 2:22pm
I used a masonary diamond blade on my 4" grinder. Sliced right through the glass around the base of the stringer with not a lot of dust. Then was able to pop the stringer out in one piece.

This is after pealing the glass off them.

After a little clean up
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2015 at 3:52pm
i have NO wood left,   yours were in way better shape. I will have nothing to template with.

took out port out board stringer broke in half but can sort of use as template.   i pulled off all the mat/chop strand holding it to hull by using air chisel and then power washer with spinner head, its pretty clean. will finish off with grinder to have proper media to bond to.   

the rudder backing plate was full of water and rotted, took it out and found the chop strand under it was soaked to the base hull, same goes for the center backer plate on transom.   all the filler glass and bonding glass has been removed from both areas.   

plan to cut the last 6" of the main stringers off to allow me to smooth the whole transom and bond one sheet of structural mat. I want it behind the main stringers.
Then build up the center 10" of the curve transom with chop and bi ax.   same goes for rudder mounting area. make the rudder mount area flat glass.   Will then bond in the outboard stringer then cut out port main stringer and so on.   

also this boat was damaged about 12 years ago, the rear lifting ring pulled out when hanging in a boat house and rear of the boat went under water.   Correct Craft did the repair and claimed to do it out of warranty just because.   Well you should see what South East Correct Craft did to repair,   they slapped on some glass on transom interior. then covered the torn up rear gunnel with teak wood,,, they did not even fix the torn up gunnel, it was ripped in 4 directions about 10" out from the center where ring fits.   the sub structure is not completely rotted away.. im repairing from underneath,   not fun.   
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2015 at 3:55pm
forgot to mention that the carpenter ants removed all the rotted wood and left only dirt. had to kill a million of those things when i first got it home.   
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2015 at 4:10pm
Great story, keep it coming!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2015 at 4:20pm
More pics if you can. Where in Florida are you located?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2015 at 5:16pm
apopka,
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2015 at 5:20pm
Boat was purchased new by prior owner. she ran it from 1983 until 2005 then got a new one.   let is sit in the weather for last 10 years. sometimes put a plastic cover on it which caused a greenhouse and sped up the deterioration.   It was a complete basket case that i got for 200.00.

Boat spent its whole life on the butler chain.   I believe the tanic acid water in that lake sped up the corrosion inside the engine.   friend says it appears to have been in salt water but it had never been in it.   also engine was only 2 years old when she quit using the boat.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2015 at 10:58am
installed the new port side stringer, bedded it with vinyl ester-cabosil. Did not glass it yet.   Removed port main stringer and am prepping surface. Will make that one this week and bed it. then glass them together.

Keeping the hull clean with power washer and spinner head.   rips up the loose fibers , reduces the glass in the air and on me. Also the bonding surfaces will be very clean.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2015 at 11:38am
My cutting method of choice is a pnuematic cutoff wheel with water nozzle aimed at the wheel with some zip ties.
Kinda like a dentist drill
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic