Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotation of Engine vs. Prop...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JeremyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotation of Engine vs. Prop...
    Posted: May-26-2006 at 12:05pm
Ya I know, stupid newbie question.

I have an 80 SN with a Pleasurecraft engine (assume it's stock OEM engine).

Looking from the FRONT of the boat, the PROP will have to turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE in order for the boat to go FORWARD.

So, does that mean that, looking from the FRONT, the ENGINE also turns CCW?

And, is that the vantage point you look from to determine CCW from CW?

I just want to be 100% sure, the boat hasn't run in 4 years and in a week or so, we're bringing it to life!

1980 Ski Nautique... Undergoing (mostly unneeded) Restoration

Ongoing Pictures of Restore:

http://jgap.com/v-web/gallery/album01
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2006 at 12:16pm
An 80 Nautique should have a RH rotation engine (reverse rotation). Your prop should also be stamped "RH". You tranny should be a 1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive.

Engine rotation is determined by looking from the rear of the engine to the front. If the top of the pulleys, balancer, etc. go to the right when running, then it is RH, if to the left then LH (conventional).

Most people use the point of view from looking at the engine from the front and then get all confused.

Hope this helps.
JeremyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2006 at 4:01pm
Ok, cool. I don't see any stamp on the prop but I also didn't get under the boat and look on the "front" side of it or on the center hub.

But, lookng from the REAR, the TOP of the PROP moves to the RIGHT.

I assume that the tranny does not reverse the rotation of the prop when it's in "forward" gear, so in that case, all the pulleys will also turn to the RIGHT as you explained.
1980 Ski Nautique... Undergoing (mostly unneeded) Restoration

Ongoing Pictures of Restore:

http://jgap.com/v-web/gallery/album01
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2006 at 8:12am
with your year boat the tranny spins the direction of the motor on newer models that have the pcm gear reduction or 1.23:1 tranny, the tranmission runs opposite of the engine. So for your application reverse rotation engine, RH prop. Also if you ever upgrade the dist or have to replace the starter or circulation pump i.e. water pump then you will need reverse rotation parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic