NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Test your CC/SN knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Test your CC/SN knowledge
    Posted: July-23-2015 at 1:51pm
Recently purchased a 1999 CC/SN 196 closed bow with THE python engine. From what I’ve read/been told a SN 196 with a Python is rare.

The Issue

My boat list/leans to Starboard/right side, you can feel the weight in the boat. Pure guess I would say ~150 +pounds.   
I had a technician go through the boat rip up the floorboards and check the stringers, water, etc.. Everything a okay so no issue “under the hood”.

Explanation

Unique to this boat and Python engine. CC put in a counter weight in the boat to counter the effects/power from the Python Engine and LH rotation. I am not an engineer but if they needed a fixed weight on the starboard side pretty sure they would have variety of Driver weights weighing from 150-300pds any given day.

Questions

Is this true ? If so, can it be removed ?
If not true, any other explanation?

Appreciate the insights guys
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 2:05pm
Congrats on the new boat, and fwiw, it's not a 196, that Model Tag was only used 03'-09', yours is a Ski Nautique.

Pretty much all 99's would have been lefty motors so that is probably not anything to do with it.

Hopefully Scott (Scootdogydog) chimes in, he also has a 99' SN w/Python
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 2:12pm
Who told you there's a counterweight?

I don't recall a starboard lean. It would be to combat the RH prop though, not the LH motor. Python props weren't any larger in diameter (13-14") than typical ski nautique props of the 90+ era so I'm not buying the explanation at face value.
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by T_bone19 T_bone19 wrote:

I had a technician go through the boat rip up the floorboards and check the stringers, water, etc.. Everything a okay so no issue “under the hood”.

The 1999 boats were all composite which eliminated the potential for rotted stringers.

Did the Pythons have a different transmission that was LH rotation? My 1999 Pro Air is a RH rotation.
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 2:37pm
The technician told me the only explaination he could come up with his a counter weight to comebat the power from the engine.

Sorry I could have gotten the RH and Lh pull wrong. I just assumed since the boat pulls to the left in reverse is was a Lh rotation. I am newbie so not sure
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 2:39pm

I just assumed since the boat pulls to the left in reverse is was a Lh rotation. I am newbie so not sure

Mine also pulls to the left in reverse. This is normal operation as when in reverse the prop is rotating left. In forward your prop is rotating to the right.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 2:46pm
All 99 (and the vast majority of all 89+) direct drives have the 1.23 trans, which allows a LH engine to turn a RH prop. Sounds like both of you are a little confused on your rotation conventions.

I wouldn't put a dime of confidence in an inspector's guess about counterweight unless he either 1) could show you the weight or 2) had highly specific correct craft knowledge that eclipses that on this site... Which I wouldn't be holding my breath for!
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. . . you are a little confused

Well . . it wouldn't be the first time!

Engine = LH
Prop = RH

Got it!

T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 2:52pm
Thanks for all the replies guys,thanks for clearing up the rotation but don't want to lose sight of my original question.

Does anyone know of CC putting weights in the boat equipped with the Python engine ?

I knew this would be hard one to solve

Any insights ? Thoughts that would cause the list
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 3:00pm
Almost all ski boats list towards the driver side due to the weight of the helm and instruments. The smaller the boat the more pronounced the lean.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 3:04pm
I doubt they would weight them as your guy might have suggested.

The helm itself could account for a list, dash, gauges, steering wheel, etc. etc. all on the starboard side. Assuming everything else is balanced after that
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 3:17pm
Is the list at rest or underway?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 3:18pm
I don't think there were wights.

There have been a few threads on here where people parted boats out and cut the hulls into little tiny pieces. A big chunk of metal would have been outstanding on one hand, and chainsaw hindering on the other.

That being said, I can't remember if any of the hulls originally had a python in them.

Tim is usually correct and that sucks.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 3:25pm
Does it lean when under power, or only at idle?

Where is the battery on that boat?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 3:37pm
nothing abnormal on mine -- have you ridden in a different correct craft/inboard to see if it's abnormal? the smaller the boat, the bigger difference a person in the driver seat would matter...with nobody in the boat, does it sit level? If not, post a picture.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 5:02pm
1.. The list is much more pronounced at Rest, approx. 1 foot lean to it

2. THe battery is on the left under the passenger seat

3. You can feel the weight when standing in the boat and to me you can really feel it in the middle and at the rear/stern of the boat.

THe list is abnormal and if scootydog has the same boat then there is my first fact, the list is abnormal

Still trying to find a explanation as to why ? Any ideas
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 5:17pm
When you look at the motor on the motor mounts, how centered is it? That's what, 1200 pounds sitting in the middle of that boat and the hulls are made by hand. If the engine is off to the right side on the mounts (they allow for a direct sliding left or right adjustment to the motor position) even an inch or so I'd imagine that might cause a list. I've seen motors way off to the left or right adjustments on these boats.

Also, I don't buy the helm causing any list. The passenger/spotter seat and hinge assembly as well as the heavy "cutting board" glovebox cover and glovebox internal fiberglass (looks like another whole mold of fiberglass on that particular glovebox) has to counter out the "helm" weight if any. The dash weighs nothing, really. Every comp boat I've seen in general is level at rest.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 5:21pm
1' lean, wth? Battery should be in the center of the boat. Better get us some pics.

I agree with Joel- slight lean may be due to engine placement but driver's helm shouldn't be a huge influence.
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 5:26pm
It looks centered when you look at it, but i would to measure to get the exact numbers.

This is a possible and logical explanation, is it a lot of work to re-center an engine.

Could my cell foam be water logged ?

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 5:28pm

This is a possible and logical explanation, is it a lot of work to re-center an engine.

Could my cell foam be water logged ?

You can't really re-center it. That's just how the hull/motor/stringers/log/strut line up on that particular layup.

Could the foam be water logged? Hell yes. (I thought you had checked that?)

And Tim agrees with me? Mark this point down in history.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 5:31pm
What? I thought you had that checked?

I don't know what that means as there are no "floor boards"... Just glass over foam. Did he or did he not dissect the boat and inspect for water weight?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 5:33pm
Oh and agreed- the engine needs to be aligned to the log and strut- not tailor able for any other reason.
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 5:36pm
I will post some pics on the weekend
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 5:39pm
Have you weighed the boat and trailer??? should solve some of the obvious.
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 5:42pm
Just to be clear, before i purchased the boat i brought up the list as an issue. They dealer would have it inspected to ensure they were not selling me a bad boat.

The technician " removed the floor boards and checked the stringers, no issues were found, no water"....and then they provided me with the explanation.

After reading the posts, i am no longer taking anything at face value from what the dealer said and start questioning everything for i can personally cross it off my POE list.

1. Engine Alignment

2. Cell foam Water logged - how do i check for that ?

The battery is not in the middle in this boat and it is in its proper place.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 5:45pm
Did he say a FOOT of list??? Like waterline is 6" low on the port side and 6" high on the starboard, or literally seeing the starboard side 12" lower in the water?

Cripes, I can't even weight (for surfing) my Sport to sink one side 12 inches... That's with 800 lbs on one side, so we are talking some SERIOUS water soaked foam!

Definitely need pictures of this...
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 6:28pm
i will swap your 08 sport Nautique boat for my listing 99 python and you wake surf all day all night
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 6:33pm
Not sure what freeboard is on that model but gotta think a 1 foot list would be like a third of it? Yikes.

Really not trying to sound rude, if I follow correctly, you water tested it and noticed the severe list, and still bought it? Caveat Emptor I'm sure, but if it's a reputable dealer perhaps you might explore some possible recourse if it's a real recent purchase.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 6:55pm
Thanks 74Wind, good advice i could be over clubbing the list but it is certainly noticeable. It is from a very reputable dealer but its a 16 year old boat, so i will assume the risk. They simply checked to make sure they weren't going to sell me a boat that would sink.

its a weird one.   I honestly don't believe its a water issue, this boat was boathouse kept on a lift, well used, but well taken care of. Something is throwing it off.    
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2015 at 8:32pm
Basically the took off the back floorboard and looked in the bilge at the stringers. As the are composite they saw nothing amiss. But they didn't inspect the foam - that job would have involved a lot of work and time and would have left the boat with new carpet. Water in the foam is the likely culprit, iirc there are tube on that side that if the boat typically sat around with a full bilge of water would certainly allow someone water to work it's way to the foam. Alternatively the engine would be off because the strut had been bent and they changed the engine position to along the shaft to the resulting strut location.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic