NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Test your CC/SN knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Test your CC/SN knowledge
    Posted: April-18-2016 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

If I am understanding what you are saying, the motor is off the centerline of the hull thus creating a situation where it is heavier on one side than the other. What is the total weight of a python, 700lbs or so?? How far off center would it need to be to equate to 20% more weight on one side over the other, enough to create a list??

The math just doesn't work out.

A 700lb power plant wound need to be over 7" off center for the boat to be balanced out by a 150lb person on the opposite gunnel (I used 3'). Just not possible.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 10:21am
If I am understanding what you are saying, the motor is off the centerline of the hull thus creating a situation where it is heavier on one side than the other. What is the total weight of a python, 700lbs or so?? How far off center would it need to be to equate to 20% more weight on one side over the other, enough to create a list??
Adding some lead to the opposite side should easily fix this issue, further forward could possibly even have a positive effect on the slalom wake.
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 9:59am
All jokes aside. Thanks for all the replies, this really helps.

I laughed so hard on the joke about a photographer. So true !

Thanks again,

Tyler
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 3:37pm
So, If you have perfect alignment at the couplings, and your shaft sits perfectly centered in the front of the log and your engine has to be slid all the way to one side in the front mounts.
This means your strut is still not adjusted exactly perfect.

And I too don't buy into the idea of an engine, no matter small or big block, sitting all the way to one side causing any kind of visually noticeable list.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by T_bone19 T_bone19 wrote:

Everything is centered except the engine

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'm still not buying this is entirely engine related and there's no wet foam there.

If everything is centered your alignment is WAY off. So much BS here. Why don't you take some measurements? It doesn't take a mechanic to use a tape measure.

Tyler,
It doesn't seem that you are comprehending the concept. I mentioned it and Kevin has again, if everything is centered, the engine can't be off centered unless you have some really bad alignment problems. Did this "tech" even check the overall alignment? Yes, get the tape out and get some measurements yourself and DO NOT worry about the port to starboard placement of the stringers in the hull.

BTW, why did you edit removing your pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 1:32pm

Kevin when you get a boat that has more than 400hp, come talk to me. "LOL"

# suckmywake

Wow, I bet you could pull a lot of tubes with that amount of HP.

#CoolestGuyOnTheLake
1972 Mustang
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 1:31pm
Easy Gary he's not a photographer.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 12:59pm
Or pictures
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 12:52pm
I'm still not buying this is entirely engine related and there's no wet foam there.

If everything is centered your alignment is WAY off. So much BS here. Why don't you take some measurements? It doesn't take a mechanic to use a tape measure.
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 12:48pm
Hey guys Nautique told them everything to look for. Everything is centered except the engine(remember the engine is massive, my clam shell takes up half the boat.

I like al the ideas

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

this has to mean that the driveshaft, strake and prop are off-center ?

Kevin,
The "strake" can't be off center since the hull comes out of a mold. I feel you meant the strut?

So far, I see no mention about the position of the strut, log and prop shaft which if off center sure would position the engine off center. The position of the strut would be the very FIRST thing I would check if engine position was questioned. Unless it just wasn't mentioned, I sure would question the "tech" who checked the alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 12:42pm
Could be interesting point, but I am not a mechanic or an engineer.

I will leave that for them to find the root cause.

Kevin - Not sure what you mean by something wrong with me. So glad I shared this information with you all. Great forum!

Kevin when you get a boat that has more than 400hp, come talk to me. "LOL"

# suckmywake
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 12:17pm
These are hand-made machines. No two are exactly alike. Odd that your boat ended up so off-center. I'm curious - this has to mean that the driveshaft, strake and prop are off-center too, right?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 11:40am
There IS side to side adjustment in the motormounts, that's needed for alignment.

It doesn't matter where your stringers are (even if off center), if the engine is aligned you're good to go. There could be a chance the strut and log are way off the centerline causing the list but nobody seems to be checking for that.

Other than you saying the list was more pronounced at rest we still haven't seen any 34-36mph list evidence.

So far there is nothing wrong with this boat, just the current owner. "lol"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 10:42am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Mine has almost the same lean and I've owned it for 9 years and I haven't really let it bother me.

Many like Joel don't let a slight list bother them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 7:39am
What happened to Tyler's pictures? Have they been removed? Can anyone see them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 1:54am
Sorry then, my mistake!

I did look back at Joel's post (M3Fan 17th post down) and he said there is some side to side adjustment? I didn't realize that. I'm still not clear how it could align if that far off center.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 1:46am
I think you have misunderstood my post and my tone. Perhaps I could have put a lol at the end of it.

Just paying the info forward.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 1:39am
Tyler, no need to get defensive. As you saw from the responses, people here genuinely wanted to help you get to the bottom of your problem with the boat. And I don't mean to offend you with my question, just seems to me a tough argument to make that the manufacturer still has to do something about this.

As for a fix, if the stringers are not symmetric and placed incorrectly which puts the engine off center, there isn't a side to side adjustment in the mounts to compensate for that. What baffles me a bit with that conclusion is if the strut/stuffing box are properly on center, how did they get a shaft to align with a motor an inch off center?
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 1:02am
LoL...Tell me something I don't already know, I think your right.

At the very least I was able to find some information and details about a rare boat that I didn't know and passing it along with all of you.

Thanks for all the interest in this post

Tyler

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 12:37am
17 posts in Joel nailed it Wish you luck but I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Boats 17 years old,your not the original owner and the boat has not been recalled. A recall is for safety issues which this is not. I would think this is more of a manufacturing defect that the original owner either didn't realize or care.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 11:48pm
So if nothing needs to be repaired, what do you want them to do for you?
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 11:42pm
63 skier - Just a point of clarification

There is nothing wrong with the boat that needs repairing, so your point is a little misguided

The issue is the boat was not manufactured properly and they deemed it appropriate. The boat is a defect and should have been recalled. No different than a car recall, your car can be 20 years old and it gets recalled.

"Rest assured we stand behind our products...Live without compromise" Greg Maloon, CEO Nautique

Tyler
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 11:29pm
Tyler, I wish you luck but it's a 17 year old boat that you bought just last year. Seems like a stretch to expect the manufacturer to repair it for you.

Glad to hear that Greg was responsive.
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 10:01pm
UPDATE - Final Verdict

Had the dealer drill a hole at the back and check the foam .

Good News: Foam is not waterlogged no waterlogged foam in the boat

What's causing the list

Engine is about 1" or less off Centre to starboard side, the big block would have enough weight for that deviance to give the list.   

Check with Manufacturer - Nautique

"By design, deal with it ".... Nautique expressed that this is a normal and common place in those years of the SN. As long as the boat is level underway it was deemed acceptable.

Had dealer check/confirm that the propshaft came out of the port straight and it does.

There is no side to side adjustments in mounts for this...it is structurally stringer placement on assembly,

Cost me $$$ for Nautique to say by design deal with it.

File a formal a complaint with Nautique and I am currently in discussion with Greg Maloon. He did re-confirm their position and performance criteria of SN at the time of manufacture was for the boat to be level at skiing speeds( 34-36mph)

He has forwarded my complaint to C/S, not expecting much. However, i must say i was impressed he responded to my email in fairly short order. Like I said to him this is where the prop hits the water.

Stay Tuned,

Cheerio

Tyler

LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2015 at 2:24pm
Any more news on this?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2015 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Any thoughts ?

Two options:

1. Rip up the carpet and floor and look for wet foam. Remove, re-glass, re-carpet
2. Throw a 50 lb weight on the far left under the spotter seat and stop worrying about it.

+1
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2015 at 12:23pm
You would know ^
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2015 at 1:31am
Big ladies love boat rides.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2015 at 4:13pm
Still waiting on interior pictures. Under bow, behind panels, etc.

Spent some time on scoots python this weekend and it sat level at the dock. Had a boom under the observer seat and 1/2+ tank of gas but otherwise unloaded.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic