Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dipstick tube reads way past full, 5qts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dipstick tube reads way past full, 5qts
    Posted: May-27-2006 at 10:32am
The 351 is supposed to take 5qts including the filter correct? When i have 4 total in the system it reads full on the dipstick. 5 puts it about 2-3 inches above the full dot. I even took the oil drainage hose off to get every drop of old oil out before filling it up. What gives?
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2006 at 10:35am
What year is it?
<your reply>
Oh, they all do that...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2006 at 10:45am
Check sig, 84 so its normal, thats good to know...
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2006 at 5:06pm
Have you run the motor since putting in 5 quarts of oil? The dipstick will read high until the oil circulates and fills the filter.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2006 at 11:27pm
yea, it still reads high, i always fill the filter first so its already got about 75% of the oil it can hold in it when i first start it
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2006 at 11:29pm
My '75 takes 7 quarts of oil. I did remove the drain hose permanently as it would never allow all of the oil to drain. Make sure that the drain hole on the pan is not elevated like on a trailer that has the jack fully extended. And yes, the oil level will drop a little as the new filter is filled.
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"
Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2006 at 2:11am
The same thing happen to me. I drained her and filled up with 5 Qt per spec. It was way too full. I ended up draining about a quart or more and slowly filled it to get it right.

For me I think it was due to the location of the drain(hose inlet) and the incline caused by the trailer.

I did also notice that when I drained and refilled it didnt take a whole lot to move the oil on the fill mark. 1/4 Qt moved it up 1/8 of an inch. So go slow towards the end.
So It Goes!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2006 at 9:14am
if you are filling the oil filter then installing it, which I don't see the need to due, but to each there own. Then adding 5qt of oil you are adding to much oil.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2006 at 10:34am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

if you are filling the oil filter then installing it, which I don't see the need to due, but to each there own. Then adding 5qt of oil you are adding to much oil.

no, no, no. I put about 1/2 a qt in the filter, then the other 4 1/2 into the fill hole. The trailer is in the garage and the jack isnt full extended or anything like that, ill try checking the level on the water tommarow and see.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2006 at 1:09am
My 81 only requires 4 qts. That's in the PCM service manual I downloaded out of the refrence section on here. I'll have to look but I think yours only takes 4 as well.

A normal auto v8, except for the new ones, take 5.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2006 at 8:09am
The manual in the reference section states 4qts plus one for the filter, so that would be 5 qts the last time I went math class.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2006 at 3:55pm
Same gives with my 81 351w 5 quarts and it's overfilled. I use 4 quarts total when changing the oil. The PO even wrote in magic marker on the valve covers 4QTS.
86SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2006 at 4:10pm
Set your trailer in a way that the engine is setting level in the boat. I beleive the engine angle that is necesary for the propshaft is what is giving you a false reading on your dipstick. I use 5qts in my '86.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2006 at 5:08pm
with 4 qts your running the risk of starving the oil pump for oil when underway and the oil starts to slosh around in the pan and gets held in the top head before it makes it's way to the pan.

Another point is are you sure it's the orginal dipstick or oil pan with the correct dipstick tube?

The manual clearly states 5 qts so if you want to use 4 go ahead but don't cry when you smoke the bearings or throw a rod because you straved the motor for oil.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2006 at 5:48pm
Im still running 5, just wanted to make sure, b/c i read the manual that said 5. Just wanted to know why the dipstick is reading high. O well, i forgot to look at it while i was out today on the water. Im not having any problems, so ill just stick w/ 5.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 1:35pm
I have the same problem with my '79. When I put in 5qt (4qt + 1 for the filter) it reads way above full. I just put a new mark on the dipstick and all is good.

When I had my engine torn down I got to see exactly where the "full" mark on the dipstick falls in the pan and even with the engine sitting level I'd be surprised if the full mark would line up with 5qts. It was pretty close to the bottom.

A big V8 running high loads with less than 5qts kind of scares me. Even if you have enough oil to keep the pressure up and the bearings fed the less oil you have the hotter it will get. Then you'll be more susceptible to viscosity and thermal breakdown. Not to mention the less oil is in the pan the faster it's going to get dirty.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 2:22pm
Obviously there are a lot of us with the same problem and I do beleive these engines need 5 quarts so here is a procedure I had to perform on my motorhome because there was a service bulletin on it having the wrong dipstick.

IF you all agree then I'm going to do this next oil change.

Warm and completely drain the oil, remove filter. Replace with new empty filter. Fill the engine with 4 quarts of oil. Run engine for a few minutes. Shut down and let it sit for 10 minutes. Remove and wipe dipstick then reinsert and with a file make a file mark at the oil level. Then add 1 more quart of oil , run engine for a few minutes. Shut it down and let it sit for 10 minutes. Get a new reading on the dipstick and file another mark. The top mark is your full and the bottom mark is 1 quart down. I think this would be best performed with the boat sitting in the water.

Not sure who to blame, CC or the marinization company of your engines but this certainly looks like an oversight thats been going on for a long time.

What do you think?
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 2:29pm
Also the dipstick could be too long or the tube the dipstick sits in could have been cut shorter or replaced as some point. I've seen that before.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 2:37pm
81nautique,
Your proceedure sounds exactly right to me. BTW, my '78 351 Commander dipstick is the opposite. It reads low when I put five quarts in it. Does anyone know if the Commander uses the same oil pan (5qts) as the PCM? ...or should I use 6 quarts as my dipstick suggests?
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 2:44pm
When I bought my '89 new, the dealer changed the dip stick. He said there are two different sticks, one for boats with direct drive, and one for those with a transmission, like a good many of us have. Engines with a transmission sit at a different angle, and likewise, the att*tude of the oil in the pan.

For some reason, CC delivered my boat with the wrong dip stick. I've never noticed a problem getting 5 qts into my 351.

You should check with CC.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 7:16pm
If also comes into play...how well was it drained. If the engine is warmed up for the time it needs...oil will drain well...however, if you do it in the drive and don' run it long enough...it won't all drain out.

My 351 and the two 302's have crank case capacities of 4 quarts...I give it about 1/2 to 3/4's of a quart more, cause the filter won't hold a full quart. If you do overfill a bit...it can be noticed in the bilge ...often blowing back through the dipstick. This weekend I noticed this...dropped some out and all was well.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 11:20pm
remarking the dip stick is no big deal if you are sure you have the correct amount in there. If the 5 quarts show over full, you can remark to this height. This would be preferred to dropping oil level to match the existing mark, especially if the manual calls for 5 qts. I've done this with lots of customer engines that came with an automotive dipstick which assumes a nose level install. We would fill oil to proper level when eninge is dead level then remake after install with nose up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic